Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I have been going round and round looking at new bikes. I currently have a 2007 CBR1000RR. I am trading it in on a new bike. Well I have looked at a 2008 1098 (yellow), a 2009 1198 (white), or a 2009 CBR1000RR Repsol. I love the Ducs, sounds amazing with the Termi pipes and looks awesome. Well what can you guys tell me the 10 and 11's? hows the maint and reliability? Hows the perf compared to the jap liter bikes?
Anything you can tell me would be appreciated.
Thanks Guys

·
Registered
523 Posts
I know the bike purchase alone is way more than the Honda but what about repairs?
I think jcasella was referring to repairs and maintenance. Ducs can have higher maintenance costs than other makes. Some of this is due to dealer labor costs but parts can also be more expensive. Some Ducati models have shorter maintenance intervals, too. Don't know what the intervals are for the models you mentioned. You could probably find out more by searching through the Superbikes forum.
Bill W.

·
Premium Member
3,708 Posts
GToak, I would do a search on this subject. It's been beaten to death. I will say, the bikes come with warranties, so unless you're buying one without a warranty, repairs would cost nothing. Now if you're talking about crashing, then replacement parts from the dealer would cost more then your jap bikes, but buying stuff on Ebay is usually the better alternative.

Performance wise, it's a might of splitting fine hairs and preferences. Have you ridden one to see if you even like the position?

·
Registered
44 Posts
I have a 6 year warranty through Ducati so I dont care until 2015! I love by Duc just based on the whole history

·
Registered
217 Posts
Currently have a 2005 CBR1000RR Repsol & I had a 2004 Aprilia RSVR...Had MINOR maintenance costs on both....tires, oil, etc...Repsol has 10k & Aprilia only had 1k on it...so NO maintenance cost on the RSVR....
Just traded the RSVR for an 03 Ducati 999 w/ 4k....It's boils down to your needs, desires, etc....
I emailed my local Ducati dealer & almost shit my pants when he told me what routine maintenance costs ran...just for oil/belt change/check various parts....around $500-$700...
Unless you are familiar with Ducati's inner workings, expect to pay a hefty premium on one...that being said, is it worth it to you to own a Ducati?
I personally loved the looks of the 999, test drove one, & decided on it...It's not like the Aprilia...both liter V-twins, but with different quirks, etc...
I prefered the riding position/styling on the Ducati & HATED the position (sitting upright too much) on the Aprilia, so much so, that I NEVER rode it...powerful engine, good brakes, shit clutch, etc....The 999 feels small though, with that tank, it feels like a 600cc until you hit the throttle good...
I know you didn't ask about the 999, but I don't own a 10 or 1198...
Go with your gut...Ducati's are hot as hell on the ass cheek/thighs, noisy as all hell (dry clutch)...but I like it!
It gives it character & is dead-ass sexy! Best of luck with the decision...it's a nice boat to be in, getting ready for a new ride!

PS- It did take me a few times of waving @ folks they pulled up next to me, heard the clutch, & asked if I was ok (if the bike was broken, etc)....I just laugh & say "Dry clutch"...I get a weird look cause they don't understand, and ride off laughing....ahhhh....Ducati....gotta love 'em!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts