Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 29 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone of you ever had a major problem, where you had to go as far to contact Duc North America. How major was the problem and how long did it take to resolve ? Who did you talk, and how where you treated? Im new to this forum....... thank you in advanced

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Fresco8ss said:
Has anyone of you ever had a major problem, where you had to go as far to contact Duc North America. How major was the problem and how long did it take to resolve ? Who did you talk, and how where you treated? Im new to this forum....... thank you in advanced
Check here: http://www.ducati.ms/forums/showthread.php?t=2434

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
I had rocker and cam problems with my 996. At the 6,000 mile service, the dealer notified me of the problem but the bike was just a couple of months out of warranty, so they called the regional Service Manager but he said there was nothing Dcuati could do.

However, I knew there was a precedent because I was aware that Ducati had picked up the expense of similar problems for others even after the warranty had run out. I also knew that Ducati had paid for rocker repairs on bikes that were purchased used.

I called Ducati North America (then located in New Jersey) and got some of the worst customer service this side of the phone company. Long and short of it, after weeks of calling and dealing with a total jerk (who is no longer at DNA) I finally got them to provide Ducati replacement parts - probably no better than the damaged parts that needed to be replaced - but I could not get DNA to reimburse me for the parts I wanted to use - Megacycle rockers - despite the fact that they had reimbursed others for these same rockers in the past.

So... after years of Ducati ownership, which in my case dates back to the mid 70's, I sold the 996 (which had given me more problems than just the rockers) bought an MV Agusta Brutale and in 40 years of riding some of the coolest $#!+ ever made, have never been happier with a motorcycle. YMMV

Note that this dates back a couple years and DNA has changed a lot of things. Hopefully your situation will be resolved more quickly.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hopefully i wont have to sell my duc and Daniel at D.N.A will help me out. I was having some idle problems with her. the first time she spend 1month and a week in the shop the second time she spend two weeks. Finding out the dealership has a bad reputation for their customer service.

I have had other issues that havent been resolve. The bike has been in the shop for the past week and 1/2. Now is making some grinding noises.Im thinking is the pistons. As bad of service i've been getting from the dealership and it seems that they cannot keep a good tech in their shop, has resulted of me thinking that when the 600 mile service was done, was not done properly and they messed up my bike. When i took it in for the first time when i was having idling problems, i was told by their tech that the tech that srvice the bike when it hit 600 miles miss something. By him looking in the computer hea was able to tell me that much. For the past 6 months i have not been able to enjoy my bike... Im very frustrated, hopfully D.N.A comes thru and to make me belive in Ducati again.....

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Fresco8ss said:
Hopefully i wont have to sell my duc and Daniel at D.N.A will help me out. I was having some idle problems with her. the first time she spend 1month and a week in the shop the second time she spend two weeks. Finding out the dealership has a bad reputation for their customer service.

I have had other issues that haven't been resolve. The bike has been in the shop for the past week and 1/2. Now is making some grinding noises.I'm thinking is the pistons. As bad of service I've been getting from the dealership and it seems that they cannot keep a good tech in their shop, has resulted of me thinking that when the 600 mile service was done, was not done properly and they messed up my bike. When i took it in for the first time when i was having idling problems, i was told by their tech that the tech that service the bike when it hit 600 miles miss something. By him looking in the computer hea was able to tell me that much. For the past 6 months i have not been able to enjoy my bike... I'm very frustrated, hopefully D.N.A comes thru and to make me believe in Ducati again.....

This is my FWIW post [FWIW = for what it's worth].

I have just sold my 998 [nothing wrong with it, but why wait?].

I am keeping the 900 SS SP as a "vintage" bike, which I will not expect much from and won't need to go to the shop considering I ride it about 500 miles a year.

I will not be getting a 999, as I was thinking about doing.

Reasons for all of the above: Ducati has lousy service and does not stand behind their products.

Recall that previously I opined that all the rants about lousy dealership service and DNA not giving a rip will contribute to Ducati failing in the next few years. [or at least continuing to lose money]. See below.

What's kind of comical is that someday when Ducati bosses are scratching their heads and asking "what happened," that the answer was right here in the Duc-MS threads, which they are too incompetent to read or that they just don't care about because they have better things to do, like wondering if they will get laid tonight.

http://www.ducati.ms/forums/showthread.php?t=2685

Very informative post, but not surprising. About 10 months ago I posted on the old Duc-MS that Ducati had secured about a 100 million Euro syndicated loan for operating capital. I noted that the $ came from a number of banks, not just one. Indicated to me, at least, that Ducati's future was risky, so much so that one bank did not want to fund the entire loan.

IMHO from the consumer side there are a number of reasons why Ducati is tanking [yes boys, take the pain, Ducati is tanking]:

1) Some bad designs. People in here can say what they want in defense of their particular favorite, but considering how many bikes are sold in the U.S. market, one has to ask "Why aren't Ducati's selling?"

IMHO design is part of the problem. For example, the 999 looks nice and it has grown on Duc fans, but many have gone on to other brands because the 999 looks kind of like the Japanese bikes. As to the biggest market for the 999, the regular Joe, that shopper is not going to appreciate the cachet and history of a Duc, they will simply say "Gee, the R1, Honda, or Suzuki look kinda the same as the 999, might as well go with the Japanese bike for $8000 less."

2) Which brings the next reason sales are down. I went looking at the 2006 R1's [I have an 02]. I am always SHOCKED at the prices, having been so used to Duc prices.

A new 2006 R1 for $10.5k out the door. What's a 999, $19-20k out the door? Assuming the biggest market for superbikes is the casual rider, meaning "non-track day" types, IMHO they will not see any reason to shell out 80 to 100 percent more for a Duc. And as to the salesmen who actually has to "sell" his brand, I can just imagine what they say when the guy looking at a Honda asks the Honda sales guy "I am thinking about this Honda or the Ducati 999, what do you think of the Ducati?"

3) Ducs also have a horrible reputation for good customer service. Ducati does not stand behind the product. The Net is overflowing with horror stories of former Duc owners who have told thousands on the Net that their Ducs broke down, and when they did, the dealers looked for ways to get out of having to honor the warranty, and when they could not, repairs took weeks to months for the buyer to get the bike back. And worse, if owners complained to Ducati North America, DNA would do nothing to help.

Those kinds of stories have circulated for so long, IMHO such have destroyed Ducati's image. Basically, Ducati's image is that 1) Ducs break down; 2) they are expensive to repair; and 3) if they do break down, dealer service is horrible. Even on Duc-MS these types of stories are commonplace.

And compounding the problem, Ducati has completely failed to do anything to improve it's image. It's almost as if they have their heads in the sand and refuse to believe their is a problem.

Consider this: Duc-MS has about 5000 members. That's a lot considering how few Ducati owners there are. You would think DNA would have one of its employees become a liaison and Duc-MS member. That person could field questions and address people's concerns. Could even do some PR. But there are no DNA reps on this site. If there are, they do not publicize it. To me, that shows their lack of vision and business sense.

4) Lastly, Ducs have a poor reputation on upkeep. The average Joe knows two things about $, a Duc will cost a lot to buy and will cost a lot to maintain. Any other bike can run 30,000 miles with only oil changes. But not a Ducati.

Label all this gossip, rumor or unfounded assumptions, it does not matter, for this is what the majority of bike purchasers know when shopping on a Saturday for that mid-life crisis superbike or the fastest/coolest bike on the road. [albeit, as far as I know, guys in their twenties are not buying $20 thousand bikes just to be cool, they cannot afford them].

So that is how I see it. I said before that Ducati was in financial trouble because of the way its syndicated loan was structured. Your post validates what I said 10 months ago.

I hope I am wrong when saying that in a few years, Ducati may not even be around. Sounds ridiculous, but as company size goes, it is not that big a business. I think before I said it was just barely above mom & pop size corporations. So it going under is not like imagining Ford or GM tanking [and heck, even GM may bust based on recent events].

With car manufacturers and airlines tanking every six months or so, it should not be that difficult to picture Ducati going the way of Pan Am or American Motors, especially with such piss poor numbers [that you posted].

They need someone to go in there and redo the company from the janitor up to the President. They need to do what Harley Davidson did back in the late 80's and 90's

Harley knew that their bikes sucked and that people were not buying them because they were crap. Sales were way down and the bike was going to go the way of the Indian. HD completely redesigned the engine [Evolution engine] and engineered the product so that things would last.

They then marketed the bikes with an admission their old bikes sucked, but to "try out our new bikes." They even had ads that said "no more leaks" because their old designs had loads of oil leaks.

They then trained their dealers to provide excellent customer service. I had a friend who had one of the 1994 then-new Harleys. He took it in to get fixed, they were quick to respond and he got his bike back each time in about 2 days.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Interesting. I supose its the luck of the draw as far as a local dealer. In the last 2 years I have bought 2 bikes from my local dealer, a new and a used one and its been nothing but excellent service, them going the extra ways to make me happy, discounted stuff the whole ball of wax. Twice they fixed stuff under warranty no questions asked and immediately. Parts orders show up in days. Neither bike has ever 'broken down'..me..I'm 110% satisfied with the Ducati brand and my dealer.I will buy new bikes from them down the road again.

·
Registered
135 Posts
for the record, me dealer is Munroe Motors in San Francisco..and if you live in Northern California I recommend them 100%. They are beyond professional.
Customer for life.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
kozik said:
for the record, me dealer is Munroe Motors in San Francisco..and if you live in Northern California I recommend them 100%. They are beyond professional.
Customer for life.
It is luck of the draw.

Munroe has a 50/50 customer satisfaction rating, about half saying good experience, other half, negative, this from the many sources I have seen over the years.

E.g., http://www.moto-rama.com/html/dealer_recommendations.html

In other words, in retort to your rave review there are negatives. But they certainly are not the worst, albeit I know many purists in the Bay Area will NOT take their Ducs to Munroe.

I don't like them. They screwed up a few times, but I won't bother with stories as that is not the point of this member's thread. He wants to know how DNA will be responding to his particular bad experience with his local dealer.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Roto - stop thinking like the herd and get your 998 back, or get that 999 pronto!! You will miss your Duc like a broke man would miss his paycheck I promise! :D

You say Ducati may not be in business a few years from now... are you going to join the legions of sorry pessimists who have been saying the same thing for decades? You are far smarter.

A few weeks ago Ducati announced what some have considered to be disappointing sales results......... but Ducati stock has risen 20% since the time.... well well well aint that somethin?

So get back. :D

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ROTO that was some good info,negative but good. Is that why youre on probation.

As many problems that i have had with the bike, i probably need to file a lemon against it. I have made my research and it falls under the Lemon law. I just need to see what D.N.A is going to handle the problem. I had to get a hold of them because that is what my Lemon handbook said to do. Geting a hold of D.N.A is part of that process.

I still think it was not the bike that messed up but the people who worked on it. Guys i have not enjoy my bike for the last 5 months, I feel like im just throwing my money away. I feel stupid when my boy with a r6 comes and picks up my boy with a zx636r and go ride. It really pisses me off. Really guys...

·
Registered
325 Posts
With a new bike spending the best part of 7 weeks in the shop, I'd be getting a little cranky by now. I think it's time to start communicating with DNA in an "official" capacity. Send your letters via registered mail and mention "lemon law" frequently. Is there a consumer advocate office in your state that can offer guidance?

I've had no interaction with DNA, so I can't speak to their customer service, but your dealer's attitude stinks. Time to take the gloves off.

Good luck.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Only if you knew. But yes my Lemon law handbook states to give the manufacturer a chance to correct the problem. It would be great if it went my way. And believe me it will. ducati are suppose to be the best in the world i have not been convince yet.....

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Fresco8ss said:
ROTO that was some good info,negative but good. Is that why you're on probation.

As many problems that i have had with the bike, i probably need to file a lemon against it. I have made my research and it falls under the Lemon law. I just need to see what D.N.A is going to handle the problem. I had to get a hold of them because that is what my Lemon handbook said to do. Getting a hold of D.N.A is part of that process.

I still think it was not the bike that messed up but the people who worked on it. Guys i have not enjoy my bike for the last 5 months, I feel like I'm just throwing my money away. I feel stupid when my boy with a R6 comes and picks up my boy with a zx636r and go ride. It really pisses me off. Really guys...
I am on self-imposed probation. When you PAY Duc-MS membership fees, to the Gold Level and above, you get to put whatever you want in that name bar thingy. I thought it would be cool to put "on probation" to fool newb members like you. :)

Anyway, I have suffered all kinds of incompetence from everything I do and buy. Just comes with the territory. Can't do anything about it.

That said, I have never suffered a bike being in the shop for weeks, much less a month or more.

As an attorney, I would have long ago had everyone twisting in the wind with the trouble I'd be causing.

I won't go into the laws that the dealer and manufacturer have probably broken in your case, but sitting at home while others are riding off into the sunset, laughing at your misery? I'd have Duc heads on a platter for dinner by now. If not that bad, either a free loaner bike, a new bike, and/or some $$$ for my trouble.

But that's just me, don't follow my lead, after all.. I'm a "Member on Probation."

·
Premium Member
3,120 Posts
I am on my 4th Ducati - all from the same dealer. The first one I bought - a Monster 900 - had a major oil leak but it was fixed the week after I noticed the problem. It wasn't even in the shop a full day! I have not had one single problem since. No complaints with the brand or the dealership.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
geospencer said:
I am on my 4th Ducati - all from the same dealer. The first one I bought - a Monster 900 - had a major oil leak but it was fixed the week after I noticed the problem. It wasn't even in the shop a full day! I have not had one single problem since. No complaints with the brand or the dealership.
Like previously said, there are some good dealers, some bad. Count your blessings for being one of the lucky ones.

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
wow ,you need to get a competent tech to work on your bike.and you should do the leg work rather than waiting for ducati to solve the problems.a good start would be recommended dealer from this site .

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I know allot of people would lose their cool over this very quick. I have been pretty patient. Riding has been a big part of my life and although Im new to this forum, you guys have giving me plenty if info.

Hopefully after this is over i will still be a part of this whole fantasy, Being an owner of this brand of bike is and should be a fantasy to evryone out there. Other peoples dreams is to own one, and dream till the day that they would be able to afford or have a chance to ride.

Many people stop me and ask me about her. What is a ducati, and how fast does she go? Its like having a trophy wife. Shes one of a kind and no one can have her. But like a woman when she starts to mess up and you hate her cause she is gone, it would be better for her not to be in your life and to know she wont be there ever. Because i do miss her and i feel bad that other people have messed her up and that is why she is handicapped at this time. I rather be without her than only to have her a small period of time and then knowing she would have to hit the shop soon... I miss my baby D...

·
Registered
330 Posts
Fresco8ss said:
I know allot of people would lose their cool over this very quick. I have been pretty patient. Riding has been a big part of my life and although Im new to this forum, you guys have giving me plenty if info.

Hopefully after this is over i will still be a part of this whole fantasy, Being an owner of this brand of bike is and should be a fantasy to evryone out there. Other peoples dreams is to own one, and dream till the day that they would be able to afford or have a chance to ride.

Many people stop me and ask me about her. What is a ducati, and how fast does she go? Its like having a trophy wife. Shes one of a kind and no one can have her. But like a woman when she starts to mess up and you hate her cause she is gone, it would be better for her not to be in your life and to know she wont be there ever. Because i do miss her and i feel bad that other people have messed her up and that is why she is handicapped at this time. I rather be without her than only to have her a small period of time and then knowing she would have to hit the shop soon... I miss my baby D...
Welcome to the world of Ducati. When I bought my 1st Ducati it broke down on the first 3 hours of ownership. Dealer came over and picked it up and brought it to my house in like 1 hr. The bike broke down again 4 hours later. Dealer came over picked it up, brought it back supposely fixed. Next day it broke down again. I was pissed went to the dealer with my bike in the back of my truck and talked to the manager. He asked for a day to see what's going on. Next day they had it fixed....it didn't brake down for 3 months. After that the clutch blew got stock. I guess the mechanic forgot to tighten something up. Well, I waited for 5 months for my bike to get back to me. 6 months later the engine blew up lol. Took it in they order all the parts and had it back in 5 days.

I was surprised to get my bike in 5 days. This is what I found out. Well, I had a warranty thing that I bought for it, but it wasn't through Ducati anymore. It was a different insurance company, which have their own local adjusters. The guy came over looked at the bike and said, "Order everything next day. Now, and fix it." The guy called me up and apologize for the bike braking down so much. He also told me he sent a different Ducati mechanic at the dealer to put the bike together since he didn't really trust the one who worked on mine lol. Well, I got my bike back in 5 days, and it ran awesome. I never had any problems after the "OTHER DUCATI MECHANIC" worked on it. I had it for over 1 yr and sold it. Now, I have a 05 GSXR1000...but now thinking of buying a Mille Factory or a good used 05 999 or 998 (a big may be on the Ducati though).

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.