Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since everyone is sitting home bored with news coverage how about a Ducati "whats this?" mystery.

Dime added for scale.
Clues.
1. bike came in with shifting issues.
2. bike had dragging clutch
3. oil was saved in a clean pan and these pieces were found in the bottom of the pan.

Attachments

·
Registered
850 Posts
were those pieces in the pan before you dropped the oil??

·
Premium Member
4,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Magnets ??
No but a magnet might have been related.

Part of the tray used to hold parts during factory assembly?
- No ... you mean the wine holder? still NO.

Is it like pressboard wood?
- It does look to be fiberous.

Can I have the dime?
- I would but it may be needed more by the owner of the bike.

I bet he'll let you have it. Just send him a self-addressed stamped envelope.
- these days you might have better luck getting a virus in snail mail than online, but I am game.

·
Premium Member
1,390 Posts
Gremlins........... Jeebus and you know...............he aint talkin to me. Wonder how that shit made it into the pan without being chewed up.

·
Premium Member
1,783 Posts
Assumptions:

1) You're re-using the oil. That means its probably new oil and possibly from the owner attempting to change the oil themselves
2) Shifting problem could mean that the oil was grossly overfilled
3) You say the owner might "need" the dime, the the end repair is likely expensive = splitting the cases
4) Excessive oil could result in starvation & shifting problems and clutch drag and result end engine damage
5) Pieces have some curvy sections

I have not idea what that is but is it something related to the con-rod bearing? The magnetic thing is suspect, stator piece end up in the sump?

·
Premium Member
4,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Wonder how that shit made it into the pan without being chewed up.
2 chunks- nothing else in the oil pan, no sign of anything chewed up.

i don't know how big a dime is
about 10mm

Whatever that wooden looking piece is at the lower left?
I have no idea what you are talking about... I see what you did there a puzzle for the puzzler...lol

That means its probably new oil and possibly from the owner attempting to change the oil themselves
New -ish oil yes
Shifting problem could mean that the oil was grossly overfilled
Not in this case the shift arm was worn out and out of adjustment... red herring it has nothing to do with that complaint.

the end repair is likely expensive = splitting the cases
Yes, I am afraid so.
Excessive oil could result in starvation & shifting problems and clutch drag and result end engine damage
No I am not sure how that would work. Too much oil = starvation? shifting problems were not related. Nor is it likely the clutch drag had anything to do with it. Engine damage... Aye there be damage.

Pieces have some curvy sections
Yes, yes there are.

is it something related to the con-rod bearing?
No, but in the end they all pay the price.

The magnetic thing is suspect, stator piece end up in the sump?
Stator is fine, magnetic thing?
If the magnetic thing was there, money might have been saved.

I'll be back tomorrow with more pictures.

·
Premium Member
4,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
No drain plug magnet was missing....hence the damage.
Sort of, if the aftermarket drain plug had had a magnet. The owner who did the oil change might have noticed the large amount of metal on it and contacted someone about it. Might have even stopped running the bike until the cause was found. might have saved some money doing that.

PSA: always clean your drain pan and look in the bottom when emptying it. Never install a drain plug that does not have a magnet unless you know it is failing and you want to be able to say "there is nothing on the drain plug" .

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So if you have a main bearing fail it usually fret (chunk) at the inner race. if you let this happen long enough the balls are not running on a smooth surface so the cages tend to break.

At the same time the metal from the bearing race is flowing throughout the oil if it is not caught by a magnet or screen. Damage from metal bits spreads often to the piston skirts and cylinders. Rod bearings often also get fed metal along with the oil so damage to rod bearings and crankshaft can happen as well.

Tips to minimize this damage is..
1. Not letting old oil sit in your motor for long periods as it often is full of acids from combustion blow-by. This an soften bearings.
2. Use a good drain plug with a strong magnet to give you early warning when something starts to fail.
3. clean your drain pan before dropping the oil and inspect it as you empty the pan.
4. Check that sump screen once in a while. There was metal in the screen even without a magnet.
5. trust your feelings when you notice something, this motor was running with a crankshaft bearing that would have added vibration . If caught early the pistons , cylinders and rod bearings might have been fine. That's $$ savings for the owner.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
is fuckamolyed.

was it noisy? i have heard the theory that the steel gets hurled out of the mains and up into the piston skirts, sounds entirely reasonable.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts