Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all.. Looking at a 2007 ducati multistrada 1100S, 34,000 miles.. Runs great ,belts just done... My question is , is that too many miles? will i be running into major problems past these miles? Im 5'8".. with a 30" inseam... all help appreciated

·
AARP Reject
2,932 Posts
No, not too many with the usual caveat, "as long as the bike shows evidence/proof of proper maintenance." Ducati knows how to make motors and has for quite some time.;)

·
Registered
619 Posts
A 2007 motorcycle of any make with 34k miles is not high mileage. The bike has been ridden, that's all. That's less than 3k miles a year, if it had any less than that I'd be wondering why the owner hadn't ridden it more.

Everyone is going to have a different opinion, but when it comes to older bikes, I would much rather have one with reasonable mileage like that, than a garage queen with 5k miles. All too often that second bike was sitting unridden for a reason.

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
That's not high mileage if it has been maintained.
I sold a bike with 82,000+ a while back and it was running good with many miles to go. With maintenance.
OK, it was a Honda but no matter.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I have 22k on my 2012 monster 1100 evo which is a similar engine. Great engine and should be fine with proper maintenance

·
Registered
51 Posts
when is the next service? 36K? Just be ready for $2K service other than that the 34K is not much at all. Enjoy.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
when is the next service? 36K? Just be ready for $2K service other than that the 34K is not much at all. Enjoy.
The beauty of the 1000/1100's are that they're air-cooled and easy to work on. I picked up my '09 just past service interval so dealership had to drop price $2K plus. I think parts for the service - belts, filters, fluids, was maybe $300 or so and I probably dropped another hundred on tools. The valve clearances were more out of spec than not, but the motor was strong. I would agree that 34K for a 12-year-old bike is not really high mileage if it's had regular filter & fluid changes.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My 07 Multistrada has 58700 and is still running strong. Synthetic oil since new, changed religiously every 5000 or so, if I remember.... valves every 12xxx, belts every 6xxx..... been on tarmac, gravel, off road. Even been dumped in a stream..... but I don't do rain - never rain.
It's a personal rule, but one I observe unfailingly.
Purchased with 96 miles on it, got a substantial discount becoust it was a demo and last years model. Its lasted through a 4 boys, a failed marriage and a couple of girlfriends....... best decision i ever made

·
Registered
318 Posts
22k on my '13 and just getting warmed up.

·
Registered
251 Posts
My 2007 has almost 70,000 km, about 43,000 miles and runs as good as new.

Im 5'8".. with a 30" inseam... all help appreciated
I have the same measurements, no issues with that either.

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
34k was a lot of miles in the 80's maybe... now it's just broken in. :)

If it's been taken care of you SHOULD be fine... always a risk of something going off the rails but mileage is unlikely to be the cause in that case.

My 15 Multi has 50k miles... my 04 Triumph has 70k miles and is still running strong.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Im 5'8".. with a 30" inseam... all help appreciated[/QUOTE said:
I'm your size. I was able to lower my 2005 1000S by 1". Shorten the rear linkage rod by (I remember) 1/4" at each end, its a 2 to 1 linkage so 1/2" equals one inch of lowering. Slid the front forks up 1" and the bike is 1" lower. It makes it a bit more upright on the sidestand, wouldn't be a big deal to shorten the stand but I never bothered.

In terms of longevity, as others have noted , that motor if maintained is bulletproof.

Dave

1 - 13 of 13 Posts