Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I heard about a guy selling a mid-80's era Cagiva motocrosser, could be a 250. Would that have a desmo single or am I hallucinating? I thought Cagiva was the owner of Ducati from the mid-80's to early '90's, but where they buying motors from other sources also? I know they made larger bore "off road" style bikes, like the 650 Azzura (sp?) and Elefants. Anyone know anything about Cagiva motocrossers? TIA.

·
Registered
5,151 Posts
Ducati made a 2-stroke off-road bike in the late 70's a 125cc but I don't think they made a 250cc version. Cagiva made many different models around this time. A friend of mine had a Cagiva 125cc (Single cylinder 2-stroke) that was sold in the Italian market with the 'Harley-Davidson' name on it, it had HD 'styling' and although it had such a small motor, it was light and so was probably as fast as the real thing.... :D

But Cagiva did make this;

in 125, 250 and 500cc, see;

http://www.mxbikes.com/bikes/cagiva/cagiva.php

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the post, I'm going to check it out this weekend. I'll let you know what I find.

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
This is my understanding of the 80's Cagiva dirtbikes:

I forgot what year Cagiva bought Husqvarna (1986 or so), but the Cagiva dirtbikes are not much different than the Huskys. I believe some years, they were the same bike, just different shaped plastic and different decals. Thinking that this is the situation, the Cagivas were 125s and 250s, but they may have also offered the 430s, just like Husqvarna. As a FYI, Husaberg is what the Swedish Husqvarna dirtbikes became after Cagiva bought the Husqvarna dirtbike company/name and moved it to Italy.......Naturally, I could be wrong on all parts, though.

Edit - LOL.....well, I read DukeDesmo's link after I wrote the above. It is a good link. From what I've always understood, my 1992 Husqvarna WXC-360 is a Cagiva-made bike, just with the brand recognition name of "Husqvarna".......the Swedish Husqvarna bikes won the Baja 1000 seven or eight years in a row and won the National Enduro Championship eight years in a row, being led by rider Dick Burleson........Hmmmm.........it almost sounds like the old brain cells still remember some stuff. I thought I'd drank those memory cells away in the late 90s. I'd still love to have a 1981 or 1982 Husky WR-430 or XC-430. Husky was the last company to switch over to mono-shock rear suspension in 1985. The didn't start liquid-colling until 1985 or 1986, and the first bike recall with the mono and liquid was the two-year run WR-400.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts