Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

41 - 51 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hmm, that's not good... Should I get original parts from ducati or perhaps look to aftermarket(better parts)? suggestions? Is it still driveable or just park it untill I swapped the parts?

·
Registered
Ducati Monster S4R '04
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
It depends o what you mean by driveable... It should hold for a couple of kms if you are willing to wager, though you should be very conservative with putting strain on the chain ( easy on the throttle). I am not a mechanic nor am I an experienced owner, but that is actually the worst chain and sprockets I've come across. So I cannot advise for it. From all the digging around I did in the forum, Ducati OEM parts are actually reliable and you can't go wrong with them. They are not the only option but they are a good one. Now that the weather is hotter, I'd keep an eye on that Voltage R/R. Mine burned and took the stator with it. Had my bike parked for 3 months while waiting for the parts and getting the courage to open the engine and replacing it, also upgrading the wiring from the stator to the R/R unit. i bought a used MOSFET from a Ducati Hypermotard and still holds strong after 6 months and 5000kms

·
Registered
863 Posts
Question, will a 1098 dp ecu fit my s4r?
If the part is similar it will obviously have a wrong map in it and need to be flashed, so why not flashing your stock ecu? Is it defective?

For the chain and sprocket don't go oem, this is average parts at double retail price.

Choose steel sprockets fronts and rear, good quality x-ring chain of reputable brand (EK, DID), and change gearing while you're at it, add 2-3 tooths to the rear (will need 2 links more on the chain compared to stock) .

·
Registered
18 Posts
If the part is similar it will obviously have a wrong map in it and need to be flashed, so why not flashing your stock ecu? Is it defective?

For the chain and sprocket don't go oem, this is average parts at double retail price.

Choose steel sprockets fronts and rear, good quality x-ring chain of reputable brand (EK, DID), and change gearing while you're at it, add 2-3 tooths to the rear (will need 2 links more on the chain compared to stock) .
Was thinking of swapping my orginal ecu for dp one, since I got Zard exhaust. Could flash the original yess, but I prefer not to tamper with that one. But I found a different solution that is cheaper.

Kinda need the chain and sprocket kit asap so ordered oem from the local dealer. Was only 50 bucks more for faster delivery.

I'm trying out 14T on the front sprocket next season, now I just want to ride with the bike😊

Thanks for the tips👍🏻

·
Registered
863 Posts
Was thinking of swapping my orginal ecu for dp one, since I got Zard exhaust. Could flash the original yess, but I prefer not to tamper with that one.

Thanks for the tips👍🏻
As you wish but nothing wrong to flash yours, you can make a backup first and put it back to stock if ever needed.

·
Registered
Ducati Monster S4R '04
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Welcome,
The S4R is a very cool bike, i had one for 9 years and it was faultless, i loved it. Your issues are typical of a neglected bike unfortunately but they're pretty hardy so it should be fine once sorted.
It's completely standard so perhaps the plugs are stuffed due to old varnished fuel, or possibly a lot of idling, low speed running maybe.
The tank, make sure it's fixed properly, that leak will be directly above the rear header so as others have said, FIRE is a serious risk and you don't want to be doing 100 when it catches or you will go up with it!
The 996 can have an issue with flaky rockers, make sure you check the oil filter gauze when you change the oil, if you see flakes in there then you will need to get that addressed fast or it can take a cam lobe with it, Ducati had a bad batch of hard chromed rockers, there are plenty of remanufactured options or genuine new ones should be all sorted.
8L/100 is pretty thirsty, it's probably in need of a good service and tune, with a good throttle body balance and CO set, there is a lot you can do at home yourself and you're probably capable but if you can find a good mechanic to sort it you will have a good starting point and most of the basic maintenance is easy to stay on top of from there.

Good luck with it.
So, the time came for my oil change and, as you predicted, it may very well be the case that I have flaking rockers. The drain plug magnet came off full of flakes attached. I have yet to inspect the oil gauze because I have to get a larger set of hexes, but the prognosis is all but entertaining 😒

I have her parked on the rear stand for the while as I figure out what my next moves are...

I'm thinking of going on a hiatus and take this time to have my first go at a clearance check and adjustment, as well as getting POR-15 on the leaking tank which has developed further. Balancing my TB's is also on the to-do list as I would like to get my hands on a Diag plug for the ECU at an affordable price. But my main worry is the rockers. I know I will have to get them sorted as new rockers are almost 200€ a piece here and they will have the same inherent problem. I also know there is someone in the UK that was fixing them with a harder metal piece to prevent chrome wear, so If someone could point me in the right direction it would really help. The other option I was considering is if there are older pre 96' rockers that are compatible with the 996 engine and that were not susceptible to flaking. As for fixing mine I am very limited on options locally as most Ducati owners don't work on their own bikes and many sell them at the 20K km stage before big interventions are needed.

I will take a break from riding as I am afraid the cam lobes might already be damaged as it is and the repair bill on those leave me even less enthusiastic than the one on the rockers. Any insights and opinions will be very welcome. Right now is hard to be optimistic but I still love this bike and hate to have her like this :cry:

Thank you all, in advance, for taking the time to read and help me.

·
Registered
751 Posts
If the cam lobes are damaged use the (unfortunate) opportunity to replace them with SPS cams, they really liven up the 996 engine.

·
Registered
Ducati Monster S4R '04
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #50 (Edited)
If the cam lobes are damaged use the (unfortunate) opportunity to replace them with SPS cams, they really liven up the 996 engine.
That is something I'd consider doing but I'm afraid it is not an option here. The only way to get them would be through the dealer and then I'd have to get the cams dialed in and a custom map. I simply cannot afford it... prices in Europe in general, and Portugal in particular, are very inflated compared to wages. An intervention like that would put me very close to the price I paid for the bike. What I must do at the moment is already going to set me back quite a bit, so a novelty Iike that is one I can't afford.
Thank you for letting me know that is an option, nonetheless 👍

41 - 51 of 51 Posts