Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Unreal, but my Ducati Monster S4R 2007 (purchased brand new in 2009 and only driven about 5K miles, always garaged, and never had seen a drop of water), and which was just recently serviced at my Ducati dealer literally went up in flames. Yes, it lit on fire on its own and went up in flames, burning to a total loss. I was having a nice ride on a beautiful Sunday afternoon when the engine light came on. Fortunately, I was in a residential neighborhood and was able to pull over immediately, stood the bike up on its kickstand, shut-off the engine and removed the key. As I was getting off the bike, I saw smoke and flames shoot out to the side from under the seat. I couldn't do anything but call 911. By the time the fire department arrived, the bike was completely in flames and had fallen to its side. Ducati of North America has basically ignored my strong urgency to investigate the fire in case of a potential product defect issue that could reoccur and perhaps cause harm to others, nor have they offered to help in any way. The dealer, which only two months prior had done a complete service maintenance on the bike (no problems were experienced with the bike in prior two years), said they "could not determine the cause of the fire since it had burned so badly." In a nut shell, and in my sincerest opinion, neither Ducati of North America nor my dealer has satisfactorily addressed what could be a potentially dangerous product or service issue. Very disappointing and concerning to say the least. This incident sounds very familiar to the one posted by vespam5 recently regarding his S4RS. Any other similar experiences out there?

·
Registered
247 Posts
Sucks to hear. Once could just be an anomaly, twice sounds like a potential hazard. Especially concerning to me considering I have the same bike and have been dumping tons of $ into it lately. Sounds like it's time to increase my insurance coverage.

Please let us know how it turns out. Hope you've got good insurance!

·
Registered
12 Posts
2007 S4R voltage regulator fire

I have a 2007 S4R and this morning It caught fire in the rain! I never ride in bad weather but today I was caught in the rain. A bike following behind me flagged me to pull over and we both saw flames coming out from under the seat. I managed to get the seat off and put out the fire before it got out of hand. The voltage regulator had over heated and caused the plastic near it to catch fire. Now Im wondering who I call to complain! I'll start with Ducati but I dont have much confidence in them. I'll probably go with an aftermarket Shindengen model FH020AA. Let me know what you end up doing.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's good that you were able to put it out. Unfortunately, my situation got out of hand so quickly that I had no choice but to walk away from it. My bike ended up being a total loss, and after much, much aggravation and disappointment (from Ducati and my dealer), I was ultimately only paid by my insurance company (although not nearly what the bike was really worth, especially to me). Anyway, you're right, Ducati will be of no help at all, which is really disappointing. You would think Ducati would be very concerned and do something about this since it's obviously a real problem – and thus stand by their products and their customers. Please give it a shot and let us know how it goes, but you will be sorely disappointed. Good luck!

·
Registered
18 Posts
I sure wish I read this before I bought the bike, Would've saved me a world of trouble and months without riding... I'm sorry for your loss :confused:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts