Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All
Has anybody changed stock front forks on a Ducati Monster S4 -2001 to an gold anodized front forks without an enormous headache, just plug & play
(I know it doesn't work like that, so easy)

Mille Grazie
Panozzi

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
just Gold Showa outer tubes or Ohlins with gold color Nitrade coating on the inner sliders?
Honestly the lowest budget there can be. I don't have/want to put a high budget for my -01 S4 as I use it for the summers back and forth to my jobb, but also I want to rebuild it to a nice light cafe racer style.
I checked with inner tubes Stelo Forcella (gold) fork tube but it lands on 244 euro each (273 dollars each). Its to expensive and then I need the outer Tubes.
So my thought was to buy a complete set from the scrap yard but i don't know what fork it could be married to my bike without any big rebuild that costs double my bike value.
Yes Showa outer tubes with gold anodized color and the inner tubes also gold anodized.... but what model of Ducati bike/fork can be plug&play with my S4 -2001. I would guess that the S4RS would fit but I can't find any on the scrapyard.
Thanks for the reply

·
Premium Member
4,696 Posts
Seems you don't have a clue about suspension, so I would leave it alone before you end up killing yourself after attempting modifications.

"gold" forks are Ohlins, even a used bent set sometimes more than $1000, new $3000+ and then you need new triple clamp,... so yeah, ride it, enjoy it and forget about gold

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ha,ha! Unfortunately I wasn't born with the suspension expertise like others on this community, but what the heck I am willing to learn like all the others did before they went to "expert mode".
But I don't understand, not to give me some advise IT will end up killing myself. :)

I appreciate your concern for my life and also the time for answering but I have some slightly knowledge and signed up to this community to get some help not to be bullied, for that I am to old.
Yes I know that Gold forks are Öhlins not Ohlins and yes they are crafted and made here in Sweden, costs three times my bike and what I am looking for are a lower budget project maybe I didn't made that clear cause english is not my native language,sorry.

This is my first option of planning, correct me if I am totally lost....
My set is this:
https://www.boonstraparts.com/sv/reservdel/ducati-monster-s4-2001-2002-framgaffel-2001&ID=B100000WAK
Want to change to this or when i find some Öhlins from a monster 1000:

Modification that I am thinking without any knowledge could be:
1. Take the front forks from the set or purchase them separately from a Ducce monster bike and install them with my original triple clamp if they are the correct mm (Is that possible, yes or No)
2. Buy a complete set of Öhlins from monster 1000 and change to a conversion steering stem and triple clamps that suits my S4.
Now please educate me and correct me I would appreciate it alot.
Thank you

·
Premium Member
4,696 Posts
Pretty sure all DUCATI triple clamps have same stem, but they have different offset, like for example 748/916 has identical bottom triple clamp as Monster but hole for the stem is drilled in a different place, so if you just bolt on a new clamp that has different geometry it will change how bike behaves, you might crash. I have seen people rebuild forks and completely ruin them or make mistakes that send them crashing, it's an easy job but also easy to make mistake and you need some special tools

If you have fully adjustable fork top clamp has larger hole for the fork, like the first link,
second link looks like basic Monster, it has no adjustment so top of the fork tube is smaller and hole in the clamp is smaller.
Monster headlight mounts on the triple clamp, need to make sure it will mount to whatever you get

Older bikes (your second ink) have 40mm calipers (distance between bolts) and small axle, new bikes like yours have big axle and 65mm caliper.

So I still don't understand why you would get an old, non adjustable fork and have to change brakes and front wheel to old model?

some 996 models have Showa with gold lower tubes, they should swap to your bike without problem, still however not sure how fender is gonna mount because 996 has plastic rings on the fork.

Take pictures of your fork and upload, junkyard links have bad photos

·
Registered
6,122 Posts
if you have Showa adjustable forks ( I think you do ) then look for some GSXR forks , 2001-2004 I think , with the gold components you’d like. Then you swap them onto your forks. The cartridge and damping is better than yours so use all the GSXR guts and caps. But you’re going to have to use your lower legs so that your wheel and brakes fit . If you want to use gold inner sliders from the GSXR you’ll have to remove them from the bottom castings and swap them into yours. So yes , you might be able to do it cheap if you can do the labor. Some special tools will be required, and you’ll want to change seals too. I’m not sure how easy the lower fork legs will come apart, but I think the tube is held to the lower casting with set screws, so maybe that and some heat will separate them. It’s not a small job. I put all the GSXR components in my SS forks. Used GSXR forks are plentiful and relatively cheap. You might be able to do it for around $350.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Pretty sure all DUCATI triple clamps have same stem, but they have different offset, like for example 748/916 has identical bottom triple clamp as Monster but hole for the stem is drilled in a different place, so if you just bolt on a new clamp that has different geometry it will change how bike behaves, you might crash. I have seen people rebuild forks and completely ruin them or make mistakes that send them crashing, it's an easy job but also easy to make mistake and you need some special tools

If you have fully adjustable fork top clamp has larger hole for the fork, like the first link,
second link looks like basic Monster, it has no adjustment so top of the fork tube is smaller and hole in the clamp is smaller.
Monster headlight mounts on the triple clamp, need to make sure it will mount to whatever you get

Older bikes (your second ink) have 40mm calipers (distance between bolts) and small axle, new bikes like yours have big axle and 65mm caliper.

So I still don't understand why you would get an old, non adjustable fork and have to change brakes and front wheel to old model?

some 996 models have Showa with gold lower tubes, they should swap to your bike without problem, still however not sure how fender is gonna mount because 996 has plastic rings on the fork.

Thanks Dmitry for your knowledge information, I will analyze, examine the option for a 996 swap and the fender are a minor problem I think cause i make my own glasfiber/carbon parts. And again thanks for the enormous help with the information.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Dmitry for your knowledge information, I will analyze, examine the option for a 996 swap and the fender are a minor problem I think cause i make my own glasfiber/carbon parts. And again thanks for the enormous help with the information.
I will take some pictures when I get to the bike, for now its stored during the winter in a distance away.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
if you have Showa adjustable forks ( I think you do ) then look for some GSXR forks , 2001-2004 I think , with the gold components you’d like. Then you swap them onto your forks. The cartridge and damping is better than yours so use all the GSXR guts and caps. But you’re going to have to use your lower legs so that your wheel and brakes fit . If you want to use gold inner sliders from the GSXR you’ll have to remove them from the bottom castings and swap them into yours. So yes , you might be able to do it cheap if you can do the labor. Some special tools will be required, and you’ll want to change seals too. I’m not sure how easy the lower fork legs will come apart, but I think the tube is held to the lower casting with set screws, so maybe that and some heat will separate them. It’s not a small job. I put all the GSXR components in my SS forks. Used GSXR forks are plentiful and relatively cheap. You might be able to do it for around $350.
Yes, thats right Showa adjustable forks, Do you have any detailed documentation of your work at any social media or other source? GSXR forks have been in my mind too but it seemed far away due to different makes and models, though it sounds interested. Read around in the forum but it seems to advanced for me at this stage, read a lot of Pajazo posts and yes it is advanced also too much try and error so maybe I go for Dmitry´s whole swap. :)
But I am learning about suspension workarounds something that I respect and wont rebuild if I am not 100% sure of what I do. Any fork conversion document for Ducati to other brands?
Again thanks a lot for taking time and answer my noob questions.
Mille Grazie

·
Registered
4,673 Posts
I know some people with '92-'97 900SS have used Andreani Fork Cartridges, and have said they fit the adjustable and non-adjustable forks the same, which means the top cap and length is the same.

Maybe there's a gold upper tube from a cheap non-adjustable Ducati fork you could use. Not hard to change over.

Something to think about.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Is there any chance you could simply have your current fork tubes anodized in the gold color you want ? That would most likely be the cheapest route and you could also rebuild the forks for better performance at the same time.

·
Premium Member
4,696 Posts
Is there any chance you could simply have your current fork tubes anodized in the gold color you want ? That would most likely be the cheapest route and you could also rebuild the forks for better performance at the same time.
upper (outer) tube is already anodized, would have to be stripped first to be re-anodized in color, lower (inner) tube can be titanium-nitrade coated for the gold color but cost of TiN coating service plus cost of having forks dismantled and tubes safely removed might be greater than cost of new fork

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I know some people with '92-'97 900SS have used Andreani Fork Cartridges, and have said they fit the adjustable and non-adjustable forks the same, which means the top cap and length is the same.

Maybe there's a gold upper tube from a cheap non-adjustable Ducati fork you could use. Not hard to change over.

Something to think about.
Happy new Year and thanks for the advice.
I checked Andreani website and I collect all the data and posts to see what I will do in the end.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Happy New Year and thanks for the reply, after Mr Dmitry scared the shi... out of me I instantly checked up for anodizing the front forks as a simple solution without any problems and headache, (I think :D) Believe me it's a big chance that it might end to anodized them if the price does not exceed a swap of new/used forks.
I have done my own fork oil change and sealings on some of my bikes so if the price is lower for anodizing I will dismantle them and send them for anodizing.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
upper (outer) tube is already anodized, would have to be stripped first to be re-anodized in color, lower (inner) tube can be titanium-nitrade coated for the gold color but cost of TiN coating service plus cost of having forks dismantled and tubes safely removed might be greater than cost of new fork
Happy New Year Mr Dmitry, thank you for the quiz that started me to find equivalent solutions.
I had send an invoice request for anodizing only the outer tubes and not the stanchions, dependent to the price of the outer tubes I maybe buy new stanchions and also do a seal,oil rebuild service if it will be worth the price.
I will update with my answer of the invoice request and I can live with only the outer tubes to be re-anodized to similar Öhlins gold color, as i wrote I have a low budget because of my other 5 bikes. 2 of theme have the Öhlins front forks but are newer models and I am not in a mood to swap and try & error that it will result in no function bikes. :D
My vision was to rebuild the s4 similar to this

·
Registered
167 Posts
Wow Panozzi , You sound quite skilled and motivated. I also do some of my own work on my bikes. One is very clean and stylish. The other two look like something out of Mad Max ....but they run great.
Best of luck with your project. I hope it turns out nice for you.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Bike photo you posted has Kineo wheels, they probably cost more than my car :p
Ha,ha,ha! What car do you own Dmitry? Cause I got the Kineo wire spoke wheels from a scrapped Mv Agusta!!! Wanna trade?:)
Ok, I did my research and I thank you all for your tip, suggestions, and advise.

Update info: (for whom it concerns)
Bike: Ducati S4 -2001 swap to any anodized gold colored front forks was the idea!
To do a swap to Öhlins front forks on the fly or with minimum effort there is also the option to purchase Öhlins front fork set FG-845 (only if you are an magician and can find the discontinued parts)

To do any modification with other front forks as stated I felt lack of knowledge, time, effort, money cause I feed 4 italian hot babes and 2 japanese girls. ;)
Unfortunately I have a shopaholic Italian disease! I see design and I'm so sold for it.

Second choice that I had in mind as the finally option as many stated in the discussion was to anodize the front forks.
Did my research and it took a while......

Finally I found a company that does the most Gold color anodize for Öhlins, to a price for 94 Euro/ 104 Us dollars the pair!! When I heard the price my brain got switched off and I couldn't process the information of what he told me.

Because I am starting a website with information for a first time purchase of Ducati used bikes/blogg/repair manuals etc... etc..for Ducati totally free (In swedish) without any yearly fee as the rest of the websites I explained for the company what I am doing and that I want to make an poor mans Öhlins conversion with anodize the front forks.

No problem, he said! But when he explained the procedure I have to do before they make the anodize I turned in to a five year old kid that asked 1000 of questions and felt like an idiot!

He told me that I have to polish off or get the previous anodize off from the front forks before he dipp them, when I asked him how he said that's not part of their procedure and he explained a little how to also that I had to plug them with rubber, but I didn't get it except the plug that I understand that it's not for the inside of the outer upper tube to get anodized.

So, has anyone a suggestion, tip, or a hint of the solution of how to get the previous anodize away? Sandpaper, polish or what??
I strongly want to anodize my 2 bikes front forks outer tubes with that price no doubt about it, but I need a good "how to get rid of the previous anodize"?
Then as an noob, I didn't understand are all the front forks anodized transparent or did they understand me wrong and thought that I want to re-anodize them? (I have to call them again)
I appreciate any answer or tip and sorry for the novell writing. :p
Have a nice day!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts