Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I stumbled across a Marvic front wheel with rotors and the wheel is supposed to be magnesium. The guy is saying it fits a Ducati, but he doesn't know what year or model. Does anyone recognize this wheel and have any idea what it may fit (I know this is a bit of a long shot)? Anyone know what it may be worth? Any way to tell if it does fit a Ducati or how to tell if it is magnesium? I'm hoping to go check it out this afternoon....

·
Registered
792 Posts
If that is a magnesium wheel I'd be pretty concerned about it's structural integrity. Magnesium should be coated, preferably with paint, not powder coat, and from the picture it looks like the outer rim is bare(?).

It could be a Marvic from the early 90's with some really weird homemade rotor carriers. There are three spoke Marvic magnesium wheels that look very similar to the stock Supersport wheels and are mostly seen on 851/888 bikes.

I doubt it's worth much without an xray to confirm or deny the structural condition.

It might make a nice hose hanger for the side of your shop.

Keep us posted on what you find.

·
Registered
475 Posts
I can't really tell from the picture but it looks like it has rust on it. And as far as I know, magnesium corrodes but doesn't rust.

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
If that is a magnesium wheel I'd be pretty concerned about it's structural integrity. Magnesium should be coated, preferably with paint, not powder coat, and from the picture it looks like the outer rim is bare(?). It could be a Marvic from the early 90's with some really weird homemade rotor carriers. There are three spoke Marvic magnesium wheels that look very similar to the stock Supersport wheels and are mostly seen on 851/888 bikes.
I've been thinking more along the lines of aluminum and not magnesium, and those rotors/carriers do definitely look weird. If they were a more standard Ducati carrier, it may be easier to ID. I'm also wondering if it may be an aluminum Marvic wheel pulled from a Japanese or other non-Ducati bike.

I can't really tell from the picture but it looks like it has rust on it. And as far as I know, magnesium corrodes but doesn't rust.
The wheel would not rust if it were aluminum, so I'm just assuming that the brownish spot on the rim is dirt or a weird reflection.

I'm hoping to take a look at it this evening....or maybe tomorrow. I wish the guy had a clue what it fits or what it came off of.

Edit - Just got off the phone with the guy. He said he got it with a bunch of other parts and has absolutely no idea what it came off of. The rim is 17" x 3.5" (3.46" in the inside where the bead goes and 4.10" outside). He says it has no markings at all on the wheel, no part numbers or even a DOT number. Claims it has a "Marvic" sticker on it. Rotors are weird, too. Only markings on them are "JB L" and "JB R" with both showing "4 mm min thickness". The rotors are semi-floating, stainless steel, and are mounted to the hub with a factory looking carrier adapter. The kicker is that he measured them at 275mm. He says the wheel and rotors are very light, and the polished area has no clear coat on it: just bare metal. He says he can't confirm if it is magnesium or aluminum.

·
9,757 Posts
I stumbled across a Marvic front wheel with rotors and the wheel is supposed to be magnesium. The guy is saying it fits a Ducati, but he doesn't know what year or model. Does anyone recognize this wheel and have any idea what it may fit (I know this is a bit of a long shot)? Anyone know what it may be worth? Any way to tell if it does fit a Ducati or how to tell if it is magnesium? I'm hoping to go check it out this afternoon....

That wheel is prolly pitted and corroded to all hell if it is really magnesium.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
537 Posts
i don't think it's a magnesium marvic here you have a pic how a magnesium marvic 3 spoke looks.
try to find a front wheel from a bike and compare it with that wheel that you show here and believe me you will feel it straight away if it is magnesium

henk!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
273 Posts
It's a Marvic magnesium wheel for sure. Marvic never made any aluminum wheels back then. It's the earlier style 3-spoke that was used on NCR TT1 and early 851. Look at any Ducati history books and you will find that style of wheel.

The dark grey appearance also indicates that it is bare magnesium, not a good sign, could be corroding from the inside out. Good for display, but I wouldn't want to ride very fast on it.

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
If I were you, I would make him a very low ball price. If ya get it, take it to a test lab. I am sure that there is one near you. Have a dye penetrant test done for cracks.

Or....just call up the test lab and ask them what it would cost to check it out. X ray will probably cost a couple of hundred dollars, but tell them you don't need any particular documentation like they would have to supply if it were an aerospace part.

Don't dismiss this out of hand, but do use the apparent condition, high risk, and your inability to inspect it before purchase to get a good price. You have a great deal of leverage because the risk is all yours !

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If I were you, I would make him a very low ball price. If ya get it, take it to a test lab. I am sure that there is one near you. Have a dye penetrant test done for cracks.........

Don't dismiss this out of hand, but do use the apparent condition, high risk, and your inability to inspect it before purchase to get a good price. You have a great deal of leverage because the risk is all yours !
Sounds like it isn't worth the effort. I know I can get it for $100 or probably a bit less, but I'd hate to wind up with a wall hanger. I guess to the right person, the rotors and carriers may be worth the asking price. I was only looking at it from the aspect of either using it for a 17" Paso 750 wheel conversion or to go along with the '94 SS900cr front end I have.

I'll have to think this over and maybe go look at it while viewing it more from a rotor purchase angle than a wheel purchase.

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
Terry, if you want to confirm that it's a magnesium rim, all you have to do is set it on fire. If you can't put it out with water, then it was magnesium.....

The rotors maybe worth the effort for the Paso, especially if they are full floaters. The original cast iron rotors are 280 mm diameter, but the minimum thickness (stamped by Brembo) is 5 mm. The bolt circle is about 155 mm. If you need more dimensions, I have a rotor here that I can measure.

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Terry, if you want to confirm that it's a magnesium rim, all you have to do is set it on fire. If you can't put it out with water, then it was magnesium.....
This is funny because I was thinking the same thing.....Back when I went to Clemson University, a buddy fo mine stole a sliver of magnesium from the Chemistry Lab. He lit it on fire....on his wooden desk in his dorm room! He couldn't put it out, so he kept the desk dosed with water to try to prevent his desk from going up in flames.

The rotors maybe worth the effort for the Paso, especially if they are full floaters.
They are semi-floaters from what the guy was saying.

It's a shame that testing the wheel and getting it refinished (if it is still good) isn't more cost effective. I don't even know where I'd go to get it tested around here.

·
Registered
3,393 Posts

The rotors maybe worth the effort for the Paso, especially if they are full floaters. The original cast iron rotors are 280 mm diameter, but the minimum thickness (stamped by Brembo) is 5 mm. The bolt circle is about 155 mm. If you need more dimensions, I have a rotor here that I can measure.
Good luck with your inspection method. You'd need enough heat to burn the building down to get that wheel ! But once lit......wheee !

1 - 13 of 13 Posts