Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw a notice yesterday that the Ducati Link App can now be run on all Multistrada models. I assume on the non-S models that you would need to add the Bluetooth module to the bike to establish this communication.

Is there anything that people find useful in the Link App that would make the purchase and installation of the Bluetooth module worthwhile. I assume the dealer would also need to install software updates to the non-S models to gain the functionality of the Bluetooth module.

Thanks,
Dave

·
Registered
468 Posts
Not sure you can add the Bluetooth module to a non S but even if you could it’s not really worth the effort.
Agree on both counts. I don’t think the non-S has the controls or the ability to display the DMS Bluetooth info. But in any case, the link app is a novelty. It's fun to tinker with, but other than on the 1260s where the app can change the riding mode settings, there's nothing essential.

Scenic and REVER among others are better apps for riding and route discovery if that's what you’re looking for. The route discovery in the link app never showed me a ride any closer than in Italy. Just not a big enough user base.

·
Registered
576 Posts
I had the link app on my phone for two or three rides and uninstalled. It's clunky to use, way too much focus on being a social app, vs. letting the rider decide what they want to use it for.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies. Sounds like there are better options for this type of information.

Just for info, this was the email received from Ducati:
Ducati Link: experience a new way of traveling
Starting today the Ducati Link app is also available for Multistrada 1200, 1200 S, 1200 Enduro, 1200 S D-Air, 1200 Pikes Peak. Download it now for iOS and Android and get ready to share and relive the experience of riding your Ducati.
Thanks to the Ducati Multimedia System you can connect to your bike and always have data and statistics at your fingertips along all your routes*. Join the community: you can share your adventures with other fans and get inspired by theirs!
This and much more in just one app. Find out more and download it now to experience your Ducati in an even more engaging way.

*In order to connect the app to the bike it is necessary to update the software of the Bluetooth control unit. It's a quick, free operation, so contact your dealer immediately.

·
Registered
402 Posts
I saw this email from Ducati Centrale too. The email mentioned a new firmware load for the bike to adjust the Bluetooth functionality as above. This is a source of possible hope for me. Has anybody actually had the firmware update installed on their bike and can confirm any improved functionality with regard to BT? As in "does the volume control on the handlebar now actually control the volume of the source??"

·
Premium Member
4,254 Posts
Does it still work the dumb way it used to (making you jump through hoops every time you ride to turn the thing on and shut it off/save the ride)?

To have any chance at success the app needs to just run automatically whenever the bike connects and let you review your rides later (from a pc... or smartphone if you're a masochist) and mark/annotate the good segments.

Reactions: AXSPwr

·
Registered
576 Posts
Yes, and I agree completely. It's pretty clear that interaction with the motorcycle was an afterthought in this app. It's a social media app, first and foremost. It's as if their target audience was moto-vloggers who like to share the boring details of their rides with the world, which is exactly what the good ones don't do.

Hopefully they'll stick with it and continue to improve the app, but it's got a long way to go.

·
Registered
402 Posts
The whole Ducati bike interface is a POS in my view. Trying to set up suspension is a nightmare that seemingly takes forever. Always having to go back to the start and button pushing down to the setting/mode you want to set memorize what you want to try and guess what? All the riding modes have different baselines for each load setting so you really have a hard time deciding how to move it. Change the load setting or change the preload/damping on a given load setting. And the suspension locks out after a short period of time so you often have to cycle the power back off/on. I always think about rubbing my tummy and patting my head while adjusting my suspension.:rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
334 Posts
I think this app could have some real fun potential, but it needs a LOT of work, and I'm not confident Ducati will see it through to the end.

It is fun to see the route and what lean angles and speeds are being used where in the route. However, lean angles have disappeared from my routes in this update, so I've reported a bug.

The main drawback also is that there is no desktop interface, so using the map and altitude, speed, and lean graphs in conjunction with the map on a cellphone is practically impossible, it's just too small.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I can't even get the android version to open. It kicks me back when I try to log in.

·
Registered
576 Posts
They should just pull the plug, stop trying to roll their own, and engage an experienced developer like the folks at Rever to help them. Even if Ducati Link worked perfectly, I don't think there is enough unique value there to keep it installed. I may be an outlier in that regard, though; I won't leave an app installed on my phone unless I use it frequently.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I couldn't get the newest version of the Android app to recognize my 2015 S during the setup. My phone pairs fine with the Bluetooth but the app would never show the VIN that it's supposed to during the setup.

The first version of the app was pretty uninspired anyway and I can't imagine the new version adds anything to my riding other than as a novelty.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts