Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ducati Kamna SSie passenger seat cover

With the installation of the hi-mount termi exhaust pipes, the bike is no longer passenger friendly. So I wanted to make it a solo bike, but I wanted to still have easy access to the underseat storage and I also wanted to retain the grab handle because I use it frequently when manuvering the bike in and out of the garage as well as to get the bike up on a rear stand. I purchased the Ducati Kamna SSie passenger seat cover and had it painted to match my custom gloss black paint job. I trimmed the front of the cover back by 6mm so that the front edge of the cover would sit right behing the piping on my Sargent Sport Skinz seat cover. The cover is made out of a flexible black plastic, so triming the front edge was pretty easy, and there was only a little bit of prep work needed before paint. The cover comes with a new seat latch that positions the seat forward slightly to accomodate the added thickness of the cover on the back edge of the seat. It has a very snug fit on the seat so there's no fear of it coming off while in flight. I want to take all new pics of the bike with the new seat cover, but I snapped a few quick pics today to show off the seat cover.

·
Banned
2,916 Posts
Kämna is just about 60 Km away...

your bike is more than beautiful, but you are
missing an "ä" on your keyboard obviously.

:abduct:

·
Registered
518 Posts
With the installation of the hi-mount termi exhaust pipes, the bike is no longer passenger friendly. So I wanted to make it a solo bike, but I wanted to still have easy access to the underseat storage and I also wanted to retain the grab handle because I use it frequently when manuvering the bike in and out of the garage as well as to get the bike up on a rear stand. I purchased the Ducati Kaemna SSie passenger seat cover and had it painted to match my custom gloss black paint job. I trimmed the front of the cover back by 6mm so that the front edge of the cover would sit right behing the piping on my Sargent Sport Skinz seat cover. The cover is made out of a flexible black plastic, so triming the front edge was pretty easy, and there was only a little bit of prep work needed before paint. The cover comes with a new seat latch that positions the seat forward slightly to accomodate the added thickness of the cover on the back edge of the seat. It has a very snug fit on the seat so there's no fear of it coming off while in flight. I want to take all new pics of the bike with the new seat cover, but I snapped a few quick pics today to show off the seat cover.

dude, is that a sargent seat? I was looking for the exact thing. can you please post the link????

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
21 Posts
As a general rule I don't like bikes in black, but that is one cool classy bike. Photographs really well. Credit to you, Chuck.
I've got my own turn signals mod, but I may well use your seat arrangement,-doubt it'll look as good in red though. :rolleyes:
I notice your tank pad is very black, rather than the 'grey' they tend to go....is it modified?
I also need to get mirrors, soon. Can you provide info on yours please?
How does the rear view compare to the stock items?

cheers
Gary

·
Premium Member
731 Posts
Thanks Chuck, similar to the K&S Tech side markers at about the same price. They were a bit wider which required some grinding and died not too longer after installation. That darn bike of yours is very nicely done.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Thanks Chuck!

As we have come to expect, your attention to detail is obvious. I checked out the web site at DK and noticed they had a Senna Grey off the shelf and ready to go. That may very well be my next purchase if and that is a big if i get my Bike going. Just packed away the tools after an unsuccessful trouble shooting day, but thats another thread.
Cheers Champ.

·
Registered
570 Posts
BLACK IS BEAUTIFUL! Your bike is possibly the cleanest SS I have seen online and I'm sure even better in person. I wish my SS was this clean. I'm had mine for almost three weeks now and I'm still detailing the engine to get it up to my standards of clean. I may have to remove the engine so I can paint some casings......they are beyond cleaning. Thank goodness the rest of the bike got some TLL from her previous owner.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the positive comments. It's much appreciated! I know the Post-'99 SS bikes aren't the most popular for their looks, and when we first bought the bike (originally for my wife) i didn't really like it much either. Once i started riding it regularly after taking it over from my wife (it was too much for her as a first bike) and started modding it, i fell in love with the damned thing. Now i'm pretty proud of it. :)

The tank pad is an OEM black pad from the '99-'00 SS/Sport or from the '03 Sport. I also put one on my wife's 750 Sport. Part number: 72310051CB

The mirrors are Lockhart Phillips "Qualifier" mirrors. I purchased the gloss black set that are currently on the bike from Chaparral Motorsports for around $30 for the pair. The bike came with a set already installed (now on the 750 Sport), so i don't know how they compare to the OEM mirrors. The mirrors are great and don't get out of adjustment once tightened down. Visibility is fine for me, but i do get better field of view if i mount them in the front mirror holes as opposed to the rear holes. I actually fabricated some brushed aluminum mounting bases to use instead of the included plastic base:

Here's a pic of the bike next to my RSW when we first got it to show you how far it's come:

·
Registered
68 Posts
That is a super clean bike! Love the look of it. Glad you posted some pictures for our viewing pleasure. It gave me pleanty of ideas for my own ride. She's a work in progress right now.

·
Chilehead
6,980 Posts
you are missing an "ä" on your keyboard obviously
I am. Actually, on some of my keyboards I have one, but I always use US mapping (I hate Swiss mapping), so it's only there for looks. However, I at least write 'Kaemna' (though I always write Zurich and not Zuerich)

Tom

·
Registered
109 Posts
Thanks for the pics and detail on that seat cover.
I was considering one for my 1000...or the DP solo cover.
I hadn't thought of the loss of access issue...this confirms the Kaemna cover is the solution for me.
thanks!

·
Registered
158 Posts
So it seems I can't search worth crap.. Where can I get the solo seat cover from? On the USA side of the world.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So it seems I can't search worth crap.. Where can I get the solo seat cover from? On the USA side of the world.
I don't know of a supplier in the USA. I ordered mine directly from Ducati Kamna in Germany.
http://www.ducati-kaemna.de/

your black efi , is one of the sweetest bikes around and i'm not even a big fan of the efi shape or black bikes - very nicely done :cool::cool::cool:
Thank you very much! :) I wasn't a fan of the efi shape either, but i've grown quite fond of my bike in it's current state. :)

·
Registered
303 Posts
I recently purchased a 2001 900SS without the side and bottom body panels and the rest of them are scratched or scraped in some fashion. It was purchased as a project and I am/was headed more toward a naked/cafe racer style with round headlight, etc. You have done a lot of things I'm hoping to do, especially with the wheels. For now I'm going to use the nose and the rest of the body panels and tank and just put fresh paint on while I'm getting the mechanicals in order and brainstorming the future look. I'd really like to have either a single or dual Conti style exhaust on it. Any conversion though to a round headlight is going to be complex I think. Anyway, great looking bike and I may reconsider by thoughts on full bodywork. I'm definitely going with either black or midnight blue for the color.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts