Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Come in Spinner :)
7,888 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Who's getting carried away... if the Duc can go better than MM on it's new riders first outing then I'd say it looks promising.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Redding was on the GP15, a bike that has a full season of testing and racing behind it, granted they were on different tires, but still a bike that is much further along then the brand new 2016 prototype from Honda.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Redding was on the GP15, a bike that has a full season of testing and racing behind it, granted they were on different tires, but still a bike that is much further along then the brand new 2016 prototype from Honda.
I would find it odd that Honda wouldn't have the 2015 bike out to run base line comparisons but perhaps it a bit moot with the changes to the software and the Michelins.

The same point is true for Reddings bike. They haven't had a full season on the new tyres just the same factory testing as Honda. The software is new to both of them but less new to Ducati as it was based on some of their earlier stuff.

·
7,888 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Honda are in trouble... they still have an engine that's too aggressive and because of that and the new tyres and the ecu which they say they are only 50% of the way towards coming to grips with have a real shortage of meaningful data to take back to the engineers in Japan during the testing ban period after the struggle they had in testing.
Ducati were faster with a new rider on an old bike.
Ducati are way ahead with the electronics, have a controllable engine, the chassis appears to suit the Michelins especially at the front end where everyone else is struggling badly, and their test program is continuing on constantly with Michele Pirro and now with the lightening rod adding his input.
Until the big two catch up the start of 2016 looks good for the red bikes from where I'm sitting.

·
Premium Member
8,737 Posts
Honda are in trouble... they still have an engine that's too aggressive and because of that and the new tyres and the ecu which they say they are only 50% of the way towards coming to grips with have a real shortage of meaningful data to take back to the engineers in Japan during the testing ban period after the struggle they had in testing.
Ducati were faster with a new rider on an old bike.
Ducati are way ahead with the electronics, have a controllable engine, the chassis appears to suit the Michelins especially at the front end where everyone else is struggling badly, and their test program is continuing on constantly with Michele Pirro and now with the lightening rod adding his input.
Until the big two catch up the start of 2016 looks good for the red bikes from where I'm sitting.
I'll bet the Ducati will still have issues with cornering.

·
7,888 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'll bet the Ducati will still have issues with cornering.
Looking good so far unless you know something we all don't.

·
comrade moderator
26,970 Posts
I think Davy's right on the money with his post: These new Michelin's seem like they are working to the Ducati's strength's, and they have more experience with the new electronics than the other manufacturers as two of their satellite bikes were running a version of it last year.
Plus they have some rather good test riders(!) that can keep the work progressing over the two month break. They're gonna start the season on the box, I agree.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Looks like GiGi and the boys' hard work, intelligent way of handling the satellite teams and developing the main bike are coming together beautifully. We will see for sure after the winter test ban. GO DUCATI !!!!!!!

·
Registered
173 Posts
I hope you guys are right, but this reminds me of living in San Diego and hearing everyone getting excited about the Chargers in the pre-season and "this is going to be their year" ... and then the season would start ...

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
7,888 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
We're talking specifics here not team support emotion and right now it is what it is and with the extra development over the next couple of months that Ducati have available to them they can do some more very significant work.
Nobody ever won nothing with negative thoughts and I reckon Gigi has an excellent plan in progress and has all last season... just look at AI's potential.
The bikes obviously like the Michelins, the riders like the bikes and the times are excellent so why be downbeat?

·
Premium Member
1,138 Posts
We're talking specifics here not team support emotion and right now it is what it is and with the extra development over the next couple of months that Ducati have available to them they can do some more very significant work.
Nobody ever won nothing with negative thoughts and I reckon Gigi has an excellent plan in progress and has all last season... just look at AI's potential.
The bikes obviously like the Michelins, the riders like the bikes and the times are excellent so why be downbeat?
To Davy's point this is probably the most encouraging pre-season Ducati's had in quite some time. Anyone can spout about any given year being "the year," however this is the first time in recent memory that enthusiasm and hard facts come together. D's right. This really is the year to allow our hopes to run a little high.

·
Premium Member
1,138 Posts
Looks like GiGi and the boys' hard work, intelligent way of handling the satellite teams and developing the main bike are coming together beautifully. We will see for sure after the winter test ban. GO DUCATI !!!!!!!
Very good point. All you need do is look at Honda to see how NOT to treat your support teams. I understand that the factory squad will get all the new upgrades and be treated better than the satellite teams but it seems that just looking at Aspar, for example, the results show they were sold a sub-par machine.

It would seem Gigi understands that by assisting their support teams they are, in effect, creating a squad of test bikes that will only help every Ducati succeed.

Reactions: davy.j
1 - 18 of 18 Posts