Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

Would you be interested in a bolt-on "HM Turbo Kit"?

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 138 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Summer is starting here is Arizona, so i decided since It's getting to hot to comfortably ride all day on the weekends, that it's time to start "Phase 2" of my HyperKromo project.

Phase 1: Is cosmetic changes to the bike. Including body work color, tail chop, seat, replacing the headlight, replacing the rear turnsignals, kickstand, etc.

Phase 2: Is performance changes to the bike. I'll be turbocharging the bike with Aerocharger 53 Series and custom exhaust.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

info: http://www.motorcyclebuilders.net/forum/showthread.php?t=166

Project: http://www.duccutters.com/BillJohnson-HyperKromo.tpl

·
Registered
70 Posts
cant wait to see the final outcome. You must do a video when it is done and keep us posted on the process and reliability. BTW you should sell those duck foot sidestands.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Documentation

cant wait to see the final outcome. You must do a video when it is done and keep us posted on the process and reliability. BTW you should sell those duck foot sidestands.
I'll be posting a lot of drawings, photos and videos of the project as it progresses. I hope to have it on the rode in time for the CycleWorld International Motorcycle Show in October. That's my goal anyway. I'll have to out source a few things, so it could happen if everyone does there part in a timely manner.

·
Registered
284 Posts
marc is the trojan on the ukmoc link? I've been a member on that forum for a good few years now and never had a warning come up. If it is then I'll let the guys who run it know

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
marc is the trojan on the ukmoc link? I've been a member on that forum for a good few years now and never had a warning come up. If it is then I'll let the guys who run it know
It was the link to the pictures of the Multi actually, not the link to the UKMonster site. Sorry I didn't make that clear.

·
Registered
198 Posts
IMO the performance work should be done before the cosmetic stuff.
No point making the bike nice to mess it up with mechanical work later.
Also putting a turbo on a hyper is just a waste of time and money IMO.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Everyone is entitled to there own opinion.

OK'ay... Everyone is entitled to there own opinion.

Normally I would agree that the performance phase should be done first. But with this project, everything has been planned out in advance, so there won't be any wasted rework. Beside I'll more then likely continue change cosmetic stuff during and after the performance phase anyway...

·
Registered
426 Posts
Spose your not a fan of Wayne Patterson's 200hp 900SS drag bike then?

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Update: June 1, 2009

I choose to mount the turbocharger in the location of the stock Catalytic converter. This will make for a minimal amount of exhaust plubing to be fabicated and very clean installation.

My plan was for the turbo bracket/intake pipes to be a direct replacement for the CAT only. Unfortunitly it wasn't possible. It was about 3/4" off. So the lower horizontal head pipe will need to be modified. I have some U-Bends on order now.

More photos:
http://www.duccutters.com/BillJohnson-HyperKromo.tpl

Attachments

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Funny you should mention that...

Just trying to be helpful. If you havent had the swingarm at full drop, this might be a good time to test that no interference with the aft end of the turbo and tire will occur. Remember tire growth too.
Funny you should mention that...

I went to remove the DucatiPerformance skid plate, so I could use a floor jack to pick the bike up by the case to see what the max sag would be, and found the skid plate brackets where all smashed. The plate was touching the case. I must have bottomed out at some point and crushed the skid plate bracket. There stamped aluminum so it wouldn't take much. Now there on my list to replace. I'm thinking of water jet cutting some steel replacements.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The Patterson's Rock!

Spose your not a fan of Wayne Patterson's 200hp 900SS drag bike then?

I've known Wayne and Todd Patterson for a few years now. There helping me with the electronics on my project! I do there web site and magazine ad's for them too.

There new twin-turbo nitrous drag bike is really going to be something. Well beyond my capabilities.
http://www.ducatibunbury.com.au/999rTurbo.tpl

Attachments

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Back to the project....

I have Saturday scheduled to spend on the turbo project. I hope to finish the exhaust plumbing and get all the measurement for the air feed tube.

I five possibilities for the finish exhaust out put. Let me know which one you think would look best.

1) Core the stock slip-ons ($0.00)
2) Slash cut straight pipe ($50.00)
3) GYTR Aluminum Oval Slip-On Exhaust ($180.00)
4) TailGunner "Fighter" Exhaust slip-on ($470.00)
5) Zard "Top Gun" Exhaust slip-on ($835.00)

I'm leaning to the tailgunner or coring the stock set up...

Attachments

1 - 20 of 138 Posts