Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took a demo ride on the HM in Greenville SC at the Cycle World show and absolutely loved it!!! It's the most fun I have had in years on a motorcycle. Two weeks later in Daytona during bike week I rode the Aprilia Dorsoduro and had basically the same wonderful experience. Having owned an ST-4 Ducati years ago I have great faith in Ducati products although knowing the price differece between to two bikes it's making me lean toward the Aprilia. One difference I noticed in the frame/fork geometry in the specs is the rake and trail of the bikes. The Duc at 24 deg. rake/3.9" of trail and the Aprilia at 26 deg rake/4.3" of trail. Just curious because I read in a motorcycle design journal that stated more than 4" of trail causes somewhat slow front end handling. On the demo rides it's hard to push the bikes to their limits to know. Are there any experts out there that can help answer this question or advise for or against the Aprilia? Both appear to be outstanding.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Before I bought my Hyper last year, I considered the Aprilia Shiver, which is very close to the Dorso. Doing the research, the bike has a lot of issues. Many EFI problems, bad sensors, starters, electical issues, etc. To top it off, the parts supply was aweful and bikes sat for weeks. Some guys got so pissed they just gave up and sold them.

Now, on the flip side the guys liked the bike when it ran right. Also, perhaps these were first year bugs. The parts though I'm not sure, Aprilia always had a rep for poor parts supply.

This is not my personal experience, just what I learned from Shiver owners. Do some research of your own, maybe things have changed. I can tell you one thing for sure from personal experience, and that is the Hypermotard is the most fun street bike I have ever ridden, with no problems.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Glenn! At least with the Ducati there shouldn't be any mysteries. Other than the 1100 cc displacement being a little larger than their previous air-cooled there isn't much different about it. It's very well proven. People tend to make a big deal about the valve adjustments but I can't see that as a show stopper. I don't think I'd put 15,000 to 20,000 miles on it a year like I do my 1150 GS. The HM is just plain fun to ride for a hour or so at a time, a couple of times a week.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I'm having the same dilemma. Love both bikes but not so confident in the parts supply for the Priller. I've heard similar stories of bikes sitting for months waiting for parts.

I'm curious to see what others have to say.

P

·
Premium Member
316 Posts
AF-1 and Aprilia...

~

I don't know about others, but in addition to my Hyper I also own a 2007 Aprilia 1000-R Tuono. I purchased it at AF-1 Racing in New Braunfels, Texas.

http://www.af1racing.com/store/Scripts/default.asp

First off, it has been absolutely 100% trouble-free with flawless reliability. When I purchased it I had the EVO airbox mod done, a set of Leo Vince ti slip-on's, and a PowerCommander III (along with some chassis mods, too)... And the whole rig was tuned on their Mustang dyno. It is hell for strong throughout the rev range, and has been a match for any twin I have ever run across.

As for parts, I have never really needed much... Mostly just maintenance items and other accessories, but as for availability at one point I wanted some RSV muffler hangers. I called up AF-1 and they had 'em in stock and shipped 'em right out. Along the way I have called for things like gaskets, filters, etc. and they have always had anything I have asked for in stock.

I love my Ducati's, but I have to say that the Aprilia's build quality, fit, finish, etc. is at least as high, and in some areas higher, than my Ducati's. There's a reason why some people say, regarding fit and finish, that Aprilia's are the "Italian Honda"... And it's meant as a compliment.

BTW, AF-1 sells more Aprilia's than anyone else in the USA, and they ship them anywhere in the country. I know one guy in Washington state and another in Arizona who have bought their Aprilia's from AF-1. Just give Ed Cook a call there and ask him anything you would like to about Aprilia's. He's one of the owners, is real easy to talk to, has an immense knowledge of the brand, and will be happy to answer any questions you have, I'm sure.

BTW, they have a great Aprilia forum, too. Check it out at:

http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/

Just FYI, and my personal experience...

Hope it helps!

Dallara

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have also heard from dealers that since Piaggio bought Aprilia it has improved the parts inventory. The good new from what I'm hearing is that both are great motorcycles and I'm glad to hear that no one is knocking either of the bikes. This is extremely rare in a forum.

The Italians appear to be the only people in the motorcycle industry who are truly passionate about their bikes. Both Ducati and Aprilia make beautiful products!

Does anyone have any in put on the fork rake and trail question?

·
Registered
53 Posts
The Italians appear to be the only people in the motorcycle industry who are truly passionate about their bikes. Both Ducati and Aprilia make beautiful products!

Your words fill me with pleasure bro'

"We" italians have many defects but our cars and motos are more than just a bunch of mechanic pieces put togheter, i think everyone who loves car and motos all over the world know what i mean

BTW Aprilia is the bigger case of "a very good product sold by the wrong persons" in the italian scene.......just pray you have a good dealer who knows is "chickens" otherwise you'll be upset very often.......even here in Italy, not only for the sea shippment issues etc etc etc

·
Premium Member
316 Posts
Six of one, half a dozen of another...

~

Does anyone have any in put on the fork rake and trail question?

Piaggio has actually owned Aprilia for some time now... And yes, the Italians are most definitely passionate about their motor vehicles. Even marques like Moto Guzzi exhibit that Italian flair for the dramatic and romantic while still being functional, yet always with a nod toward their heritage. That's what the Italian's do best - having the ability to make things that are new, fresh, and beautiful while still maintaining the links to their history and legacy.

Quite wonderful in so many ways.

As for the rake and trail issue...

I wouldn't concern myself that the Dorsoduro would steer too slowly or sluggishly. I'm not sure of the rake and trail figures of my Tuono, but its steering is in no way slow or sluggish.

Besides, many feel the Ducati Hypermotard steers almost too quick, and borders on having some headshake, especially on corner exits and dropping the front wheel if it has been aviated. Hence the good selection of steering dampener set-ups and styles for the Hyper. Personally I haven't seen a need for a steering dampener on my Hypermotard, but I will say that one needs to make sure and pay pretty constant attention to the front end of one, otherwise I can see how it might become a bit too busy.

The front end on a Hyper is a bit like having power steering compared to a lot of other bikes, with only very, very minimal effort needed to initiate a steering input. You simply cannot be lazy, lackadaisical, or imprecise with the bars or you will be wandering all over the pavement taking odd lines and wondering how you got where you did.

Also don't forget that if you have a Hyper S, or get a an adjustable ride-height link and install it on a standard Hyper, that you could easily get steering geometry certainly close to equal of the Dorsoduro. I am not personally acqauinted with the Dorso, but knowing Aprilia there is no doubt a similar method to quicken the steering on it should you desire... Raising the rear ride height, dropping the forks in the clamps, etc.

Point of all this rambling is that I wouldn't let the minor differences in rake and trail concern you. My guess is that the Dorsoduro probably steers just fine.

Of course, the best thing, if you can, is to go and ride both and see for yourself... :D

Hope this helps!

Dallara

~

·
Registered
196 Posts
The issues with Aprilia's having parts supply and reliability issues went away real fast when the word got out of the problems owners had. Pretty much Piaggio said they would have no part of a problem child in there family.
The Shiver had reported issues with fueling but is was not a reliability issue, more of a design/programming problem. I don't think the Dorsaduro suffers the same problem and undoubtedly the Shiver will get a remap.

Overall I trust Ducati more than Aprilia, in dealer, parts and service support. I also think a Ducati will hold its value longer in both resale and personal happiness. :)

·
Registered
605 Posts
Keep in mind that the Shiver/Dorso use a new Aprilia designed and mfg. (in Asia somewhere, not Italy) engine, where the Mille, Tuono, etc use the tried and true Rotax motor.

Much of what I learned was from the AF1 board, some from a local rider with a long parts wait experience. The most common issue being a failed speed sensor that takes forever to get. FWIW, my local Ducati dealer used to sell Aprilia but dropped the line.

Not sure about the Dorso, but the Shiver while being a nice bike had a lot of cheaper parts. The shock and the Taiwaneese Brembo brake copies come to mind. Look at the bike close.

I'm sure its a cool bike and fun but I'd be flipping out if I spent half the summer waiting for a part, which has happened. The season here is too short to deal with this BS.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I bought a 09 Dorsoduro in December 08 and had it for about a month before I sold it and bought my Hypermotard.
Personally I think the Dorso is the sweetest looking bike on the market right now. The main reason I sold it was that it was a shy on power.

As far as the ergs, they are somewhat similar in terms of getting feedback through the bars. However you do feel the weight on the DD where as on the HM it is not so noticable.

I owned an Aprilia SXV 550 before the DD and I think the nightmare stories about the parts is a thing of the past.

There is a ton of info on the AF1 forum about them. My user name over there is the same as here.

The bottom line for me is the DD put a smile on my face :)the first few times I rode it.
This HM has given me the perm-a -grin. :D:D:D Just thinking about my HM makes me smile.:D

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I think this may be the turning point for me. If it were two or three years down the road and everyone had established confidence in Aprilia's new engines, a parts supply that could promise to keep the bike running without any down time and a dealer network that better covered my area I think I'd go for the Dorso. Since this is only in the works I think I'll try to find a low mileage HM and purchase it. The comment about resale is surely true as well. The Ducati will always maintain it's value assuming it's well maintained and cared for. One day the Aprilias may hold their value too but that time is yet to come. I think I'll have to let someone else help Aprilia establish themselves. I do believe they are on track to becoming an important player in the sport/performance motorcycle market. I truly wish them maximum success. Competition is what drives improvement. Who knows what we'll see in the future considering the direction Aprilia is headed right now.

Since I do most of my own mechanical work I guess I'll have to learn how to adjust the Ducati valves now. Thanks everyone for all your input.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Just because your local dealer dropped aprilia doesn't meen anything. Shitty dealers everywhere.
dont know about that- they usually drop a marque if the product is shit/doesnt sell/keeps being brought back and factory have poor support for the dealer.
The problem I had with my aprilia ( SXV 550) was its reliability ( bearing in mind it is actually a race bike) and the lack of support ( only a couple of people in australia who know anything about these bikes).
As an aside the apriliaforum.com website is awesome.
ducati has much better support

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Let's not write Aprilia off yet guys. I'd hate to see us end up with no choices except Japanese and Chinese made stuff. Let's give Aprilia a chance to improve. Obviously they have undergone some major management and manufacturing changes. Hopefully they will offer everything we need in the near future. Unfortunately there are many folks out there that look at the HM and the Dorso and say "Gee why not just get the Kawasaki Versys, it's cheap and reliable too! Kind of looks a little the same" I dislike the cookie cutter bikes and it's hard for me to understand why people do things like that but they do. Again, the Italians give us the style and performance from a long wonderful history of motorcycles that few others can offer. Let's continue to support them. All of them.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Let's not write Aprilia off yet guys. I'd hate to see us end up with no choices except Japanese and Chinese made stuff. Let's give Aprilia a chance to improve. Obviously they have undergone some major management and manufacturing changes. Hopefully they will offer everything we need in the near future.
It does feel like there's been real progress over the past couple of years. My past experience with Aprilia was limited and, support-wise, quite disappointing. But, the bike was nice. What worries me is that Piaggio is by no means the perfect partner. In the scooter biz, they have a long history of customer service and dealer-related shenanigans. Right now, they seem to be nearing the end of a major expansion cycle that's seen many new dealerships added, much to the chagrin of established dealers.

On the other hand, there are a couple of Aprilia bikes that I really love, especially the SXV. And, my Duc dealer also carries Aprilia and assures me that the support for Aprilia motorcycles has improved tremendously. So, I'm hopeful that at some point in the future I'll have another Aprilia in my garage.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Just because your local dealer dropped aprilia doesn't meen anything. Shitty dealers everywhere.
FYI the dealer is not a shitty dealer. Actually they are one of the best for Ducati service. All I'm saying is based on my research at the time last year I passed on an Aprilia. Maybe things have changed and I hope they have, but its been less than a year.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
FWIW, my buddy has a Tuono and rides the hell out of it as well as all his bikes. I have never heard him complain about it and it is a fun bike to ride in the few miles I rode it.

I like the looks fo the Dorso, but I still like the the Hyper better. I would like to combine the front fairing of the Dorso with the Hyper, then it would be good to go.

Out!

·
Registered
112 Posts
I pretty much had my mind set on the HM but I rode the Dorsoduro before I dropped the hammer just to make sure.
The Dorsoduro was ok, but to me I was not a fan. Plus the bike that I test rode, had a fine mist of oil all over the back of it when I got back from my test ride. (this was the first day that the dealer had one available for a test ride bike, and I did not beat it up at all)
It was OK, but I did not love it. When I rode the HM I Loved it and still do.
I also have a '07 CBR1000rr and find myself riding the HM more.

-KK

·
Registered
47 Posts
before i bought my hyper i had only one other bike on the list... the dorso. coming from a KTM smr450, i thought that the dorso would be a perfect fit for me. i called the local dealer. none in stock, no idea when they would get them, no shiver in stock either (just for comparison sake i thought i'd look at one) so i call up a certain very well known ducati/aprilia dealership in southeast wisconsin (i'm told the largest prilla' dealer in the midwest) to ask about the dorso... what i'm told next is shocking. the sales person i spoke to told me there were none in stock. when they would be in stock was a mystery to these guys too, and he proceeded to ask me why i would want an aprilia!?!?! he claimed they were fine bikes, but the current u.s. representation and parts network were completely b.s. tales of bikes waiting for parts for months, etc. i ended up buying the ducati, but not at that dealer. i'm not knocking his opinion one bit btw. 2 months after i got my duc, the original dealer i stopped at called me... they had exactly 1 shiver in stock... no dorsoduros! i feel like i made the right choice.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts