Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 124 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it just me, or does it seem that the Super Sport has become the red-headed stepchild of the Ducati line?
Back when my bike was new, just about any Ducati could draw a crowd, and they all had a definite cachet and exotic vibe. My 900 CR may not have been a 916, but it definitely got its share of "ohhs" and "ahhs".
These days it seems like they command even less respect than the lowliest of a run-of-the-mill Japanese bike. What gives? Nobody talks about them, and no one seems to notice them anymore. I know they've been out of production for a few years now, but even on a recent stop at a local Triumph dealer, the customers were mesmerized by a Daytona 675R, and never even gave my bike a first, let alone second look.
And searching for basic aftermarket parts is practically an impossibility, especially as compared to say, any of the SuperBikes. Heck, even older Monsters have way more parts available.
Underscoring this whole thought process was something that happened a couple of weeks ago. I was cruising at the beach, and pulled into a parking spot that just happened to have a brand new Diavel parked next to it. As I pulled in, the owner of the Diavel walked up and climbed on his bike, and never even glanced in my direction! Heck, I give more acknowledgement to Harley riders! :rolleyes:

P.S. This really isn't just my ego speaking, I'm just blown away by the apparent indifference now to what was such a cool, competent, exotic ride in its day, which was not that long ago. :confused:

·
Registered
155 Posts
Must be the area. I just picked up my 96 SP earlier in the week and have had many people compliment the bike! More so than any Harley I ever had...

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Mr Leakered
8,820 Posts
Ummm, let me introduce you to the Ducati ST. Yep, they made one of those. 8P

Have a good one.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
LOL. OK, so maybe the ST is the stepsister... ;)

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ha! You, too -

·
Registered
577 Posts
depends on who hang out with, most people think that just because it's a Duc it's something special, and they're right! :) Who care what people think, if you enjoy it fine, remember the chopper boom of a few years ago?

I was thinking more of the lines of this being the stepchild,

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Just hang on to it for about 30yrs. I have a nice 75 750GT that nobody would notice when the RED bikes came on the scene[1990 on].Now that lowly,underpowered,boring,unreliable piece of crap is worth about 20k.

·
Registered
128 Posts
That's odd..could be your area where people don't appreciate italian exotica..
Everywhere I go people always stare at bike..dudes in high end corvettes and even the lambo owners give my a thumbs up. Women wave and blow kisses ! (= since mine doesn't have any decals or emblems on it, not many know what it is..the aforementioned do

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, this is jaded and cynical Southern California, but still...

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Hey, it was a 900SS, even a '95 I think, that Hunter Thompson wrote about in 'Song of The Sausage Creature'. That gives it permanent cool :)

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Oh believe me, I love it, and it'll always be cool to me, too - I guess I just can't figure out why it doesn't seem that way to anyone else anymore (present company excepted)!?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Compliments, but only on sunny days!

First off, that Daytona 675R is a pretty sweet bike, and what I would replace my 900ss with if it got stolen!

Up here in the soggy Northwest, I get nothing but compliments. Occasionally from other riders, but always from passers-by if it’s parked or if I’m in traffic. I remember sitting at a red light one sunny day a few years ago when an elderly gentleman in the crosswalk stopped in his tracks, leaned on his cane, and nodded at me. I gave him a thumbs up, and he smiled.

Really the best compliment ever. I still smile when I think of that.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I didn't know people still rode those things, in SoCal and all!

I still get almost the most comments on the duc and mine is a 95 900ss CR, too.

·
Registered
120 Posts
My 900 CR is my favorite all round motorcycle... It attracts just enough attention (in the same area as the OP), but not too much. More to the point, it's a great motorcycle, fantastic to ride and easy to own and maintain. The others I'm comparing it to in my garage are 80 bevel 900SS, 01 996, 98 ST2, 97 Guzzi Daytona, 79 Guzzi LeMans, and old BMW GS.

I've come to terms with liking bikes on the basis of things that Joe Average is never going to see, and that possibility is why they sometimes move from being old junk to highly sought after (my 80 SS cost me about $5K, same as my CR :) ) A few people figure it out, just about the time they are mostly reduced to rolling junk. A few remain well kept, in good hands, and they're then sought after.

The comments above about the round case 750GT being an old turd, then not long after a valuable collectable, made me smile. I remember helping a friend buy an as-new desert stored 750 GT for $2500 sometime in the mid-90s. I really liked it when I rode it - a gentleman's Ducati, but nice to ride.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
With all these stories of constant compliments, I'm starting to think that I just need to get the old girl out a lot more. :D

So, "noticeability factor" aside, what about the depleted availability of aftermarket parts?

·
Registered
120 Posts
With all these stories of constant compliments, I'm starting to think that I just need to get the old girl out a lot more. :D

So, "noticeability factor" aside, what about the depleted availability of aftermarket parts?
In the mid-90s, Ducati was selling more motorcycles in California than in the rest of the country combined, or in any other single country... so one strategy would be to ride outside of California, where old SS's and Monsters are still almost as thick on the ground (and often as used up) as Japanese 600s of the same era :) :)

You make a good point about aftermarket parts, availability went from huge to just above zero, and the only reason I can imagine is lack of demand - the value of the bikes is so low that few people want to spend any money on them. I bought a set of slip-ons, chain adjuster plates, master cylinder caps, clutch slave cylinder etc for the stock CR I bought a year or so ago... in each case I got the feeling I was buying the last one on the shelf!

·
Registered
247 Posts
depends on who hang out with, most people think that just because it's a Duc it's something special, and they're right! :) Who care what people think, if you enjoy it fine, remember the chopper boom of a few years ago?

I was thinking more of the lines of this being the stepchild,
what bike is this? Fuggin sick.

I think it depends where you're at. I get quite a few looks on my SS.

1 - 20 of 124 Posts