Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I organized a small group ride for a board member here, his first ride since being seriously hurt in a bicycle accident in 08.

I'm posting pictures of the ride here instead of only the Nor Cal section because I thought many more Duc owners nationwide would appreciate the collection of different bikes. I've never been on a ride with this kind of representation. The ride took place in an area East of Sacramento and up into the Sierra Nevada Mountains. The road we wanted to ride is the legendary Wentworth Springs Rd. Smooth as glass and cambered the way you like it, except for a couple turns. The motorcycle enthusiast who designed it wanted to make it interesting. We left earlier than usual because it was going to be a scorcher out, estimated up to 108 degrees. We all know that once we get up into the mountains the temp drops at least 20 degrees and its really comfortable. Actually, yes it was hot but I mapped out a route that would minimize city traffic getting home and as long as we were moving, it was OK.

The ride was mello, very relaxed and a great group of DOG members (Ducati Owners Group of Sacramento) and non DOGs. I don't ride like a madman since my bad crash in 05, events like that change you for the better.

BIKES: Desmosedici, 998 Bostrom, 999R Fila, 999R, 999, 1198S, 848, Street Fighter (I should have got a shot of the right side to show the Termi system, the bike is a base being upgraded by Martin of Motowheels. The picture doesn't do it justice, its much better looking on the street. Looks like a fun bike with good ergos, Martin spoke of two Termi designs, the one currently on the bike and the other is double silencers on either side of the tail. The "over and under" system on it now has a meaty growl, make no mistake,you can hear it ripping through the canyons).

My 999R continues to amaze me, especially after Brian Davis (999R Fila) helped me adjust the DP rear sets and moved the seat back to the final position. He observed my riding position was "cramped" and I attributed much of that to the rear sets, the foot peg is about 1 1/2" higher than stock. My question is why and why aren't the pegs adjustable? However, I found out the sets are adjustable in every other way, I didn't realize it until Brian moved the brake pedal down. This adjustment made my right foot position much more comfortable and maybe it midigated the higher pegs. With the seat back, brake pedal down and one other minor adjustment, the bike transformed. Even the handling felt better and I thought the bike handled exceptional before. I wonder how many other positive adjustments I can make, sag and the rest will follow.

Now why doesn't the 1098/1198 have the adjustable seat and multiple mounting holes for the rear sets? These are two very good features and one of the reasons why I like the 999.

Attachments

·
Registered
429 Posts
Looks like you guys had lots of fun. I like the second pic, Bostron&fila I would be a very happy guy with these two parked in my garage!
PS: the 999r FILA from Modesto it's back on eBay.

·
Resident Raggamuffin
9,716 Posts
one of the better lineups i've seen in some while.

beautiful

·
Registered
608 Posts
Was one of ya there

Yeh,
John, that ride was a mind blower. Just seeing you guys (me the new one on the block, non D.O.G.) and the falcon bikes that were there bolsters the Ducati essence! too cool. Good to meet yourself, Brian D, Craig, Tom, Martin,Tracy, and all ya good riders. That storefront lineup was a keeper. see attach.

Attachments

·
Still needs a life.
12,619 Posts
I organized a small group ride for a board member here, his first ride since being seriously hurt in a bicycle accident in 08.
So some poor guy has to get hurt in a bicycle accident to get you to put down your wrenches, push your motorcycle out of your garage, and ride :>)

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
Now why doesn't the 1098/1198 have the adjustable seat and multiple mounting holes for the rear sets? These are two very good features and one of the reasons why I like the 999.
Because Ducati keeps "cheapening" it's brand imho. Less features that "they" don't feel are important. Had a friend just buy a new Streetfighter S and had the damn fuel line come apart inside the tank in the first 200 miles. Had another with some issues with his Tricolore S4RS. Both had issues with their fuel injection. I could go on. Ducati! Get your act together! Off my rant now. Nice ride and photos! :)

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
A Ducati with gremlins? When did this start happening?!? What's next, flaking rockers?!?

·
http://www.ducati-owners-group.c
2,008 Posts
Hello team!

Yes, it was a magical day! I had such a great time seeing you all and meeting a few new folks. I always enjoy that the most.

I just couldn't imagine the sound of all those Termi's bouncing off the canyons as we drove
through...WOW.....Martin, that Streetfighter sounded amazing.....

Everyone rode so respectful and mature. I don't think I've ever been with a better group of riders. Just kept "The Pace" the whole way. I was quite nervous and anxious most of the ride as I kept imagining a car coming at me head from the other way. (I was pretty scary most of the ride actually. Thanks for the encouragement and all the kind words). Anyway, I hope to join up again soon. Maybe for a Euro Sunday??

John, again, I thank you and your beautiful wife for your hospitality, (Tri Tip, great potatoes, and asparagus!) the wrench time, setting up the ride, and letting me play with your little sweetheart! ....Brilliant!

A weekend I'll never forget...

·
Registered
16,908 Posts
Great ride, great company, great bikes to look at, fantastic road...and we got home before it got too hot. I heard it hit 108 degrees yesterday.

I'm going out this morning for a few hours while the kids are still sleeping.
Well... they will be asleep until I start the bike up....:)

-M

·
Premium Member
8,756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Hello team!

John, again, I thank you and your beautiful wife for your hospitality, (Tri Tip, great potatoes, and asparagus!) the wrench time, setting up the ride, and letting me play with your little sweetheart! ....Brilliant!

Just one clarification before you dirty minds go sideways, the little sweetheart Brian mentioned is our one and only Mangia. Here she is. I have more and more people wanting to drop by under the pretense to see my bike, but in reality they want to see the Bulldog. Don't blame them.

Attachments

·
Registered
234 Posts
Great looking group of bikes. Wish I could have joined you guys.

·
Premium Member
8,756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Great looking group of bikes. Wish I could have joined you guys.
You would have been welcome. If I can get my computer genius daughter (average kid nowadays) to help me, I would have her post a map of exactly where we were in Northern California. If you have Google Earth or something like it you can find the area by following some interstate highways. Skipping over the first part of the ride, if you find the town of Georgetown off hgwy 193, Wentworth Springs Rd is the main road through Georgetown. The best part of the road starts about 10 miles out of town and runs for about 13 miles to the "stopsign". That is where the road Ts with Ice House Rd. Many times we would take a right instead of a u turn and eventually it drops you onto Hgwy 50, another way home. If you were to go left at the stopsign, this will take you to a beautiful alpine lake called Loon Lake and also the legendary Rubicon Trail. However, the road is the exact oppisite in terms of quality compared to the road prior to the stopsign. It sucks. There are all kinds of radical off road vehicles in the area, since Wentworth Springs Rd takes you to the Rubicon eventually. I previously thought the Rubicon Trail was a 100 mile off road track, but come to find out its only 10 miles, but the most challenging 10 miles of off road experience to be found anywhere. Much has been written and even vehicles named after it. Anyway, its beautiful country and we are fortunate there was a motorcycle enthusiast highway engineer who did the design handiwork. Otherwise it wouldn't be such a major attraction for hundreds of motorcyclists and car enthusiasts who trek up there every weekend to experience it. No doubt the road brings in much needed tourist dollars to the small and isolated town of Georgetown. I don't know if the engineer knew this would happen, but whether he did or didn't, the town should name something after him in his honor.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Hey was that RB, SB, Stuffer and 125shifter out there today? I think I'd recognize those bikes almost anywhere...especially the 848!:p Glad to see everyone had a safe one today.:D

·
Home of vortex tuning
1,648 Posts
So, Uncle Tom's cabin is paved now? Ok, I was there with the Solano Trail Riders Assn. dirt ride to Hellhole res. back in the early 70's and did the Rubicon years later on a TT500. Nice up there, , ,

·
Premium Member
8,756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So, Uncle Tom's cabin is paved now? Ok, I was there with the Solano Trail Riders Assn. dirt ride to Hellhole res. back in the early 70's and did the Rubicon years later on a TT500. Nice up there, , ,
Wow, some people that have been around spoke of the road before it was paved, you ought to see it now.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts