Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of John “Hannibal” Smith’s favorite sayings in the eighties TV series, The A-Team was “I love it when a plan comes together”. I don’t know if Ducati were a fan of the show but slowly, but surely it looks as if the plan to have 9-time World Champion Valentino Rossi ride for the Italian manufacturer in 2011 is coming together. The latest move in the slow ballet is the replacement of Livio Suppo, said to have a fractious relationship with Rossi, by Vale friendly factory tester Vittoriano Guareschi in the role of Team Manager.

Valentino knows the Guareschi’s well. One of Rossi’s closest friends is endurance racer, Gianfranco Guareschi, brother of Vittoriano (Gianfanco was on hand during Valentino’s bizarre home pre-season accident). All the details on Ducati Getting Ready for Rossi

·
Premium Member
2,374 Posts
One of John “Hannibal” Smith’s favorite sayings in the eighties TV series, The A-Team was “I love it when a plan comes together”. I don’t know if Ducati were a fan of the show but slowly, but surely it looks as if the plan to have 9-time World Champion Valentino Rossi ride for the Italian manufacturer in 2011 is coming together. The latest move in the slow ballet is the replacement of Livio Suppo, said to have a fractious relationship with Rossi, by Vale friendly factory tester Vittoriano Guareschi in the role of Team Manager.

Valentino knows the Guareschi’s well. One of Rossi’s closest friends is endurance racer, Gianfranco Guareschi, brother of Vittoriano (Gianfanco was on hand during Valentino’s bizarre home pre-season accident). All the details on Ducati Getting Ready for Rossi
I damn sure hope so...that would be awesome to see the Italian on the Italian bike taking control of its "uncontrollable" nature.

·
Premium Member
0 Posts
If there's anyone else on the planet that can ride the thing besides Stoner, it would have to be Rossi. Wouldn't it be ironic if HE couldn't make it work! That would be proof, once and for all, that Stoner and the Desmo arrived on the same space ship! :alien:

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
If there's anyone else on the planet that can ride the thing besides Stoner, it would have to be Rossi. Wouldn't it be ironic if HE couldn't make it work! That would be proof, once and for all, that Stoner and the Desmo arrived on the same space ship! :alien:
+1

·
Registered
1,395 Posts

·
Banned
11,256 Posts
Nowhere in the articles written by press who actually talk with these people, does it say Suppo is being replaced.

Guareschi is going to be a Team Manager (not the Project Manager), which is more of a liaison role between the riders and the engineers to help resolve some of the problems.

"I will be the link between the riders and [technical director] Filippo Preziosi. I will be close to the riders, I'll go on the track to see what happens and I will be an advisor to them. Finally, I will also manage the work in the garage."

This is not big news... As long as Suppo is still in the paddock, stuff with Rossi isn't going to change.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
630 Posts
I think that's one reason we won't see Rossi on a Ducati. If Rossi was slow to get up to speed on the Duck, his legacy would diminish at least a little. The other is the amount of money Yamaha is likely willing to pay him for life to promote their bikes.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I don't think this will happen, its just an interesting, pleasant discussion topic when there is no other news around. Rossi won't take the chance unless he already knows that he can ride the Ducati as a winning package. He has an eye on history and really does want to finish his career on a high so won't take the risk.

Imagine him telling Yamaha to take a hike at the end of next year then finding out he cannot 'gel' with the Ducati GP10/GP11. I'm pretty sure the Ducati garage would fracture if Rossi moved in on Casey as a no. 1 rider. Nope, can't see it happening.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
i actually love the idea, but i think that it may be dependent on how Rossi and next years championship is looking at the month of June or July when Rossi is suppose to talk to Yamaha about the year 2011...

me thinks if at that time he is ahead of Stoner and having it his own way come discussion time... Ducati will be having a chat with him...

All the same... if Stoner is giving it to Rossi next year come chat time... well i think that Rossi will be having second thoughts.. who knows.. i don't see it happening without a "secret" test for Rossi on the Duc...
and as far as Rossi being concerned about not being able to ride the Ducati at pace? he had similar thoughts before the '04 season started with Yamaha... look how that turned out...

·
Registered
35 Posts
Crashman Im shocked you or anyone else on this site would not want Rossi on the Ducati??? Ducati owners would be dancing in the streets if Rossi signs for the 2011 season . At this point I dont think money would be a deciding factor for Rossi. Rossi lives to be in the spotlight , he thrives on it . Rossi on the Ducati would BE the 2011 MotoGP season . I see it as a no lose situation . Lawsons season on Cagiva is nothing more than a side note of his career . History is just remembering his 4 titles and the back to back wins with Yamaha/Honda. For Rossi the upside would be that he would not just be a GOAT. If he would happen the win the a title on a Ducati he would be ...THE... GREATEST OF ALL TIME . Rossi reminds me of a retired boxer . Until he loses on a consistant basis he will keep racing . The pull of the spot light is too great for him to leave .

·
Registered
255 Posts
Crashman Im shocked you or anyone else on this site would not want Rossi on the Ducati??? Ducati owners would be dancing in the streets if Rossi signs for the 2011 season . At this point I dont think money would be a deciding factor for Rossi. Rossi lives to be in the spotlight , he thrives on it . Rossi on the Ducati would BE the 2011 MotoGP season . I see it as a no lose situation . Lawsons season on Cagiva is nothing more than a side note of his career . History is just remembering his 4 titles and the back to back wins with Yamaha/Honda. For Rossi the upside would be that he would not just be a GOAT. If he would happen the win the a title on a Ducati he would be ...THE... GREATEST OF ALL TIME . Rossi reminds me of a retired boxer . Until he loses on a consistant basis he will keep racing . The pull of the spot light is too great for him to leave .
I guess I am just one of the 10 people that are not fans. What some people think of as personality I think of as excessive drama. To me the peripheral antics take away from the racing. But it would be pretty boring if we all cheered for the same guy. Mocking the loser or having to slink away in shame are part of the fun.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Rossi on the Ducati would BE the 2011 MotoGP season . I see it as a no lose situation .
I think the situation would be a huge loser if Rossi did not win the title in 2011. (And I think his chances would be better at Yamaha rather than Ducati.) I'd rather he stay at Yamaha and think he will.

·
Premium Member
2,374 Posts
I think he will win in 2010, and that will be number 10. I think after that many he will be happy to try and do it on the Ducati, even if he loses.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Valentino , from what I know, has already driven the Ducs on a circuit,so he knows what they are like.
Together with his loyal team they can make it work, no doubt.
But then Casey on a Jap factory bike would be the one he has to beat.

·
Premium Member
2,374 Posts
Valentino , from what I know, has already driven the Ducs on a circuit,so he knows what they are like.
Together with his loyal team they can make it work, no doubt.
But then Casey on a Jap factory bike would be the one he has to beat.
+1

1 - 20 of 53 Posts