Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

Ducati for everyday driving

11470 48
I am new to the world of Ducati. I am looking for a bike that I can drive often - not just on the weekends. I am really torn between the Monster S2R1000 and the 749. I know the Monster is easy enough to drive everyday. I am just looking for some insight into the 749, which I like more - bigger cool factor. I've been driving a Road King Harley for awhile now - not really loving it and I want something racier. Thanks.
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,322 Posts
If you ride the bike around town..

Go for a multi or a monster, no question.. not even a second thought.
The 749 is NOT, repeat NOT, a bike for city driving.

To put it this way.. I LOVE my 748 on the track. It´s smooth and lovely in the corners and has enough OMMPH on the straights to keep me somewhat happy. But the most fun i ever had on a bike was doing twisties on a Multi 1000DS.

The Superbikes are made for very aggresive riding and trackdays. The monster is good enough that you can take it to the track and not get your head handed to you, but you´ll have no problems doing away with sportbikes in twisties. The bike was made for small roads and for city riding.

But TRY BOTH. Don´t take one bike over the other just for looks. You have to try them both and be objective (Yeah.. right.. like THAT is going to happen.. err´not..).

Try the Multi aswell, because even if some find it less sexy then the 749, it´s still a great bike and alot of fun. And so is the monster.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
I use my 999R for everyday riding, city riding, without any problems.
Yes, a monster would be a more suited for everyday day riding, but you can easly use a 749 for the same purpose and you can have loads of fun with it at the track from time to time if you want.

But try both and decide.
Good luck.

·
Chilehead
6,870 Posts
My grocery getter is the ST2, but the SS is a better alround bike, but the best alround bike I have is my 20 year old LeMans, and that's definitely a better city bike than either of my Ducatis, and better on the super slab as well. Scrapes too much in the local twisties, though, and is much more tiring than the Ducatis for extended touring (i.e. more than one day of serious riding).

Tom

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
I have three Ducatis, a monster with a 944 kit, a 916 and an ST4. I find that I gravitate to the ST4 for daily riding and commuting. It does everything so well and is comfortable. The 916 is strickly a track bike. It likes to be pushed hard and otherwise is not that comfortable. The monster is fun, but a little cramped on long hauls.

Mike

·
Registered
3,281 Posts
yup !

I am absolutely knocked out by the way you guys confuse your Ducati Superbike with a Subaru !

Think about it- you think it is perfectly appropriate to plunk your butt on that thing and sit in traffic on the way to work, the way to fetch a quart of milk, call on a friend, go have a cup of coffee. Park and pose !

Think about it- you are probably the same dudes who see a Porsche Carrera GT or the Ferrari of your choice sloping down the boulevard at legal speeds and say something stupid about what you would be doing with that car if you had it. Sheesh ! You are no different. Superbikes are open road sex machines and if you consider wasting all of that on city miles then we as Duc owners live on different planets. I see a Ducati Superbike and I see excitment. You see it as a de-tuned Hyundai suitable for uh....parking and posing in the city.

Superbikes are for high speed canyon fun. Track days. And garaged in the living room in between those rides as exhibits of rolling sculpture.

Oh well. I'll just motor down the street on my Monster and leave the Sex Machine at home. The only city streets it ever sees are the shortest ones out of town.

ducatimike said:
I have three Ducatis, a monster with a 944 kit, a 916 and an ST4. I find that I gravitate to the ST4 for daily riding and commuting. It does everything so well and is comfortable. The 916 is strickly a track bike. It likes to be pushed hard and otherwise is not that comfortable. The monster is fun, but a little cramped on long hauls.

Mike

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
bevel450 said:
I am absolutely knocked out by the way you guys confuse your Ducati Superbike with a Subaru !

Think about it- you think it is perfectly appropriate to plunk your butt on that thing and sit in traffic on the way to work, the way to fetch a quart of milk, call on a friend, go have a cup of coffee. Park and pose !

Think about it- you are probably the same dudes who see a Porsche Carrera GT or the Ferrari of your choice sloping down the boulevard at legal speeds and say something stupid about what you would be doing with that car if you had it. Sheesh ! You are no different. Superbikes are open road sex machines and if you consider wasting all of that on city miles then we as Duc owners live on different planets. I see a Ducati Superbike and I see excitment. You see it as a de-tuned Hyundai suitable for uh....parking and posing in the city.

Superbikes are for high speed canyon fun. Track days. And garaged in the living room in between those rides as exhibits of rolling sculpture.

Oh well. I'll just motor down the street on my Monster and leave the Sex Machine at home. The only city streets it ever sees are the shortest ones out of town.
AH HORSE HOCKY!! Not all of us can afford more than one bike. Yes common sense and reason points to a Monster or a ST3 or ST4. He already has a good everyday bike in the Harley that leaves him cold. Guess what, my last bike was a Harley and it was a great motorcycle that bored me to death. I ride a 749 everyday, (well not right now I'm in RI in school but normally), I use it for back road scratching and track days as well as getting me to work or a visit to a friends house. I see it as my MOTORCYCLE and use it as one. No it really isn't designed for it and in traffic and hot weather it's a small slice of the third ring of hell. But I love it. Sure I'd love to have a second bike to save the miles on my 749 and use it for weekends and track days. Not in the finances so I had to make a choice and I did. If you think I'm somehow less of a Duc owner because I don't incase it in glass with a sign "brake glass in case of track day", you can kiss my box exhaust. :) To answer the question it isn't a great daily rider simply for the comfort factor. Mechanically it will hold up just fine but does wear the clutch more in the city. Keep up with the routine maintenance and it will do just fine. By the way hit the gym, in town there is no wind pressure to help take some weight off your hands and you need to use your back and knees to support you at low speed. Best of luck on your choice.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Just get what most appeals to you. I also ride my 999 everyday that I can, even if it rains I still ride it. It is not as comfortable as other bikes but it IS the bike that makes me the happiest. I can put up with it being uncomfortable at times but it more than makes up for it in the long run. If you are really looking just at the comfort factor buy a cage!!!

·
Registered
14 Posts
As you are finding, choose the bike that most appeals to you. Some are better designed for everyday driving in traffic more than others but a ducati is a ducati and it will do what ever you want it to do X 10. I have a ST3 and it is the most complete bike for my needs and more. I came over from a dualsport (similar to a multistada) and wanted more of a road bike because I never took my DS off road as intended. The multistrada is air cooled and has a very high inseam compared to the others.
Good luck.
Brock

·
Chilehead
6,870 Posts
bevel450 said:
you think it is perfectly appropriate to plunk your butt on that thing and sit in traffic on the way to work
You only have to sit in traffic if you live in the US (except CA).

Tom

P.S. I walk to work, but use my ST2 to go grocery shopping. If I can fit it in the cart, it will fit in the bags of the ST2.

Tom

·
Registered
591 Posts
Bill_Anderson said:
Check out the ST series and the Multistrada. I think they are the best all around bikes that Ducati makes.
I'm going to have to second Bill on this one. The ST series and the Multistrada ARE, IMO, the most versatile allrounder bikes in the Ducati line. I'm an ST guy and I love the way the bike works and feels in all different enviroments with the possible exception of the tack (I'll buy a superbike for that).

The ST is by no means a boring motorcycle. It has plenty of power (more so with the ST3 and ST4s) and will outhandle most nonDucati bikes on the street. It also retains that classic sporty Italian styling as only a Ducati can deliver.

However, I've noticed more chatter from some of the ST guys regarding the Multistada and I have also known of some ST riders that have jumped ship over to the MS line of bikes and have raved about them. Either way, I don't believe you would be disappointed with either machine.

If you want a fun rebel rousing cafe' racer type bike, then the Monster is a great choice. And if you lean toward the sportier side of things, I know several guys who ride their Super Sports every day. Not to offend anyone, but a superbike like the 999 or 749 would not be my FIRST choice for routine daily street riding. These machines like to be pushed hard and fast to obtain their true essence which comes out of their race bred pedigree.

I'm admittedly biased toward what I own because it WORKS SO WELL in all different situations. Think ST or MS and again, I believe you won't be disappointed.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Get what you want

Can you tell by this thread how excitable people get over Ducatis? Get what you want! Go ride a few different bikes and get a feel for them. I too had Harleys, hell, I still have one that I am trying to sell! I started with a Monster and switched to an ST3 after I realized what kind of riding I really like to do.

Riding the Ducati reminded me of my first ride on a Honda SL 70! The Harley never did that for me!

No matter what Ducati you decide on, it will do what you want it to!

Good luck, and have fun!

Don

·
Registered
627 Posts
I vote for the Monster or Mutlti! I have more fun on my girlfriends Monster 620. I test rode the Multistrada 620 and 1000 not too long ago and the upright riding position was amazing. Unbelievably comfortable.

The SS's are nice & have higher bars than the Superbikes, but for city riding the Multi or the Monster get my vote!

I've not ridden an ST yet. They look like they would still have you hunched over, but everyone seems to ride them hundreds of miles at a time. I like the idea of having a bike with bags and performance.

Something to think about is the steering geometry of the Superbike vs. the others. My Harley friend (had an 87 softail and now 05 Electraglide) who has been riding for 40 years or more dropped my bike standing still trying to execute a low speed circle. He wasn't accustomed to the huge Brembo brakes or the steering.

·
Registered
510 Posts
I will agree with Rainman... I'd suggest the 900. Easier to maintain, comfortable, and not a huge stress if it falls over. To me, riding a 999R around town would be stressful because it's like riding around a bank account. Even my old 916 makes me cringe. (What if somebody touches it?!??!)

And with the 749, I'd recommend you check on your wrists... if you're younger and can take the weight there, it's fine, but nowadays mine hurt from skateboard injuries and I actually like a nice comfortable Monster riding position. Damn... never thought I'd say that.

Good luck!

·
Registered
3,281 Posts
My point of view is based largely on how precious my time is. Seat time is so precious to me. One fellow says that he rides his Superbike everywhere even if it rains.

Man...you must have plenty of time on your hands because it takes a good 2 1/2 hours for me to drop the plastic, get with the cleaning chores and button it up again. I just don't have that much time ! If you have it, then I really envy you. My life is far different.

I have always felt that the best bikes for the street were Japanese Dual Sport type beater bikes. You know, ride it and park it. And then ride it again.
(clean it ? Hah ! Only when a local kid wants to come over and do it for you just to hear war stories.) Comfortable and great riding position for the city. A five year old beater dual sport is cheap, cheap cheap and the Duc is saved for what it does best.

Now, my 12 year old Monster fills that bill pretty well. I get the music of that Pompone engine, great city ergos and a fast fast clean up. And the sex machine stays gorgeous and ready to play adult games at the push of the button. And everytime that I get on her I am reminded of what she does best, which is pure road adrenaline.

This is my formula for maximizing the limited resources of time and money. Your mileage may differ, but please...for that riding in the rain ? Buy yourself a real Subaru and stop trying to tell that gorgeous bike that she is a fish.

Some guys just have too much time on their hands.

B_Cebrian said:
AH HORSE HOCKY!! Not all of us can afford more than one bike. Yes common sense and reason points to a Monster or a ST3 or ST4. He already has a good everyday bike in the Harley that leaves him cold. Guess what, my last bike was a Harley and it was a great motorcycle that bored me to death. I ride a 749 everyday, (well not right now I'm in RI in school but normally), I use it for back road scratching and track days as well as getting me to work or a visit to a friends house. I see it as my MOTORCYCLE and use it as one. No it really isn't designed for it and in traffic and hot weather it's a small slice of the third ring of hell. But I love it. Sure I'd love to have a second bike to save the miles on my 749 and use it for weekends and track days. Not in the finances so I had to make a choice and I did. If you think I'm somehow less of a Duc owner because I don't incase it in glass with a sign "brake glass in case of track day", you can kiss my box exhaust. :) To answer the question it isn't a great daily rider simply for the comfort factor. Mechanically it will hold up just fine but does wear the clutch more in the city. Keep up with the routine maintenance and it will do just fine. By the way hit the gym, in town there is no wind pressure to help take some weight off your hands and you need to use your back and knees to support you at low speed. Best of luck on your choice.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.