Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys.

Wanted to introduce myself my name is Tyler and I live in Sunny Southern California. I don't have a Ducati yet, only a 2007 R6 that is tracked out.

Anyways here is my question. Im looking to buy a Motorcycle for my Dad since he is doing MSF Classes right now and he is deadset on buying a Ducati. The only problem is that he weighs approx. 330 lbs. He likes the Streetfighter the most followed by the Monster. Would these bikes be able to support his weight? I know they wont handle the best around the twisties, but he just wants it to cruise around on I guess.

Anyways, any input here would be greatly appreciated. Look forward to hearing some responses. Thank you!

·
Super Moderator
8,211 Posts
Both the Monster and the streetfighter are built to have passengers, so 330lbs shouldn´t be a problem. But to get the bike to handle as good as it can, you are definatly going to need to talk to a dealer or a suspension tech to get stronger springs put on her. Once that is done, your probably going to be amazed on how well it WILL handle with your dad on it! :D

Dan Kyle might be able to help you out (check the vendors section) on the suspension bit.

I´d opt for the Monster rather then the Streetfighter. Mostly since the rear of that bike is slightly lower then the Streetfighter, which might be better if your dad is going on 330. The Multistrada or a used ST2/3/4/4s might be the best bike for the larger built Ducatisti. Mostly because they have a wider seat and an upright seating angle that works well for around town.

Hope it helps!

//amullo

·
Premium Member
12,278 Posts
Hey congrats to your Dad on taking the plunge! Myself being short and stubby , not 330# though. The first time I sat on a ST I cramped in my hip just getting on it ! I sat on the Hyper the first time and I thought I"ll Kill myself, Then the job I went to involved stepping over pipes at pecker height ,36 of them in a row for three weeks ( kind of like the high Hurdles) I went back sat on thr Hyper and thought I can do this... It will be his decision which feels best for him. The fitter you are the more fun it will become.... Riding will become a great motivator to get in better shape. It's nice to have support from family also ... Hope he has a great experience...

·
Registered
969 Posts
The GT1000 is very comfortable and a great bike.
With stiffer springs I bet your Dad would love it.

·
Super Moderator
8,211 Posts
Oh yeah!! I forgot about the GT1000.. That would be a great bike for him to try.. Abit more cruiser style.

Definatly check out the SportClassics.

//amullo

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Does anyone know the weight for which the suspension on two passenger bikes are designed?

I would expect they would be set for two 160 lb passengers or something in this area. Thus, he may not need a new spring.

·
Registered
969 Posts
I only weigh about half what your Dad does Ironman, but were probably about the same age.
I can see myself on a GT1000 in the future.

·
Chilehead
6,982 Posts
Does anyone know the weight for which the suspension on two passenger bikes are designed?

I would expect they would be set for two 160 lb passengers or something in this area. Thus, he may not need a new spring.
Well, in general they are rated for 190-200kg of load. However, the spring may not be optimal for full load.

Tom

·
Trackday Junkie
1,374 Posts
BEFORE he buys the Ducati, why doesn't he buy something used and cheap. Doesn't need to go fast, but something just to put-put around on until he gets the basics down, as well as the getting used to it.

330 lbs?

Well, okay. That's um, nearly two of me! Perhaps a used SV650 (normally I suggest a Kawasaki EX250-500, but that's not going to move much with a 330 lb guy on it. Like, it won't get out of it's own way....

I think if he's just cruising around, I would go with the Monster 1100. Great bike, doesn't get too hot (okay, relative to a Streetfighter/1098). Perhaps also a GT1000, which is just absolutely beautiful just to look at as well as ride.

Let us know what he ends up with.

·
Super Senior Poster
6,328 Posts
Your dad would probably need a rear spring swap, super easy and the dealer will probably do it for cost and free labor. If he is dead set on a Duc why not....if he buys anything else he'll regret it......a Monster 696 w/ some suspension upgrades maybe...depending on his inseam. Ducati has plenty of choices. My dad and I rode around together when I was 14-15. I had my MR 175, then MT 250 he had a Suzuki 185 w/ the street and trail gearing. I forget what they called that thing. He eventually went to a Honda CB360T and I to a CR125, 250 and 480 5spd..then the Monster of all big bore MXer's the KX 500! He still loved puttin' around on that 185 on the trails....I loved roosting him on occasion. Fun times lie a head for you and your dad! Be safe!

·
Registered
7,542 Posts
wait for the new Duc cruiser and tool around on a Honda Shadow 1100 plentiful and cheap until it arrives and he is used to riding.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Mospeada has the right idea. Start w/ a nice, pre-owned 900 cc or something of the like. Sure he's a good rider, else he wouldnt be interested in a Ducati, am I correct?
Then, as the body lbs. decrease within resulting obligation per feeling the exhilaration of riding two wheels, the process can be stepped up for eventual Duc purchase. Bottom line - Ducati rides mean w/ light cargo (look at Casey Stoner...)

·
Registered
446 Posts
I will be honest with you and say a 330 lb man is probably not going to be very comfortable on a Ducati. When I bought my sport 1000 I weighed 180 and the bike handled my weight pretty well. I have since gained some weight and weigh 210 probably 220 if you include jacket, boots, helmet. I had to increase the preload dramatically and it still doesn't handle anywhere as well as when I weighed 180.

Wrong bike for your dad. They are built for small italian guys. Tell him to get a BMW, Harley, or Moto Guzzi. All much better choices for big guys.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I am fairly sure that Europeans figure ~150/passenger.

The best thing to do would be to visit the Ducati store and have him sit/ride some bikes that interest him and see what the dealer says with regards to the bike being able to handle his weight.

How tall is your dad? At that weight, there could be safety, comfort issues... as well as overall health issues. I'm not meaning to pry, but I am a weight loss doctor and perhaps if he is at an unhealthy weight, you could use this new found interest in activity to promote lifestyle changes to improve his health.

·
Chilehead
6,982 Posts
Well, the manual for my SS1000DS states that dry weight is 185kg, and max is 385kg, so that's 200kg for rider,passenger+liquids, i.e. 440 lbs.

Interestingly, my 999R lists 193/390, so that's 197kg for rider plus liquids.

Pretty sure that my ST2 lists similar numbers.

Tom

P.S. I once carried a 300lb. passenger on the back of my ST2 for about 10 miles. Not something I'd care to repeat.

·
I have a button.. BITCHES!
8,971 Posts
Well, the manual for my SS1000DS states that dry weight is 185kg, and max is 385kg, so that's 200kg for rider,passenger+liquids, i.e. 440 lbs.

Interestingly, my 999R lists 193/390, so that's 197kg for rider plus liquids.

Pretty sure that my ST2 lists similar numbers.

Tom

P.S. I once carried a 300lb. passenger on the back of my ST2 for about 10 miles. Not something I'd care to repeat.
You could try dating smaller women.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts