Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1964 Ducati Falcon 50
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all!
I am new to this forum and new to Ducati's, but not new to bikes in any way shape or form.
I just picked up a 1964 Ducati Falcon 50. The thing is sweet! But it needs a few things. I have two 1973 Yamaha Enduro's two stroke 175's and a 1972 Honda 4 stroke 250cc.
Anyhow, I need a spark plug and carb rebuild kit for this bike, it has awesome compression.
Any help is much appreciated! Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
462 Posts
According to various owners' handbooks for the 2-strokes, the oil mix is between 5-7%. Or in other words, 1:20 - 1:15, the 50cc bikes using slightly less oil than the larger bikes.

The plug was a Marelli CW 260N. Which plug you can even still buy today!

Or simply cross reference to a NGK or which ever manufacturer you prefer ...

·
Registered
1964 Ducati Falcon 50
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
According to various owners' handbooks for the 2-strokes, the oil mix is between 5-7%. Or in other words, 1:20 - 1:15, the 50cc bikes using slightly less oil than the larger bikes.

The plug was a Marelli CW 260N. Which plug you can even still buy today!

Or simply cross reference to a NGK or which ever manufacturer you prefer ...
Thank you for the reply! I found the spark plug (NGK 5110 I believe) and I adjusted my fuel mix to 20:1. The problem I am having now is no fire! It has spark, verified with plug and wire turning it over by hand and visually seeing an awesome spark, I poured some fuel right down the carb throat, so I know it has fuel, and the engine does have compression. But it won't even backfire out the exhaust? I figured it would at least do that if timing was off or anything.

Any help is appreciated, Thanks!

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
Hey all!
I am new to this forum and new to Ducati's, but not new to bikes in any way shape or form.
I just picked up a 1964 Ducati Falcon 50. The thing is sweet! But it needs a few things. I have two 1973 Yamaha Enduro's two stroke 175's and a 1972 Honda 4 stroke 250cc.
Anyhow, I need a spark plug and carb rebuild kit for this bike, it has awesome compression.
Any help is much appreciated! Thanks in advance!
Must
have
pics!

;)

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
Very cool little Ducati. Don't think I have ever seen one like it.
Cool old Honda too, but not as rare.
Thanks for the pics! (y)

·
Registered
1964 Ducati Falcon 50
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Does anyone Know how I would check timing on this motor? I know how to do it on a small block chevy and I would imagine it being very similar, but I am not sure?

·
Registered
1964 Ducati Falcon 50
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I cannot get the engine to fire, it has some sort compression, not sure how much as I couldn't hold my thumb over the spark plug hole so I figured it would be enough, it has fuel, is there some mystery thing that makes this engine tick?

·
Registered
1964 Ducati Falcon 50
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I cannot get the engine to fire, it has some sort compression, not sure how much as I couldn't hold my thumb over the spark plug hole so I figured it would be enough, it has fuel, is there some mystery thing that makes this engine tick?
The engine has 115 psi of compression, it has fuel, does anyone know how to check timing or something of the sort?

·
Registered
7,858 Posts
file Your points clean and wipe them after, set them at .014”. , lube the points cam and if there is any advance mechanism, make sure it’s free. There may be marks on the backing plate to show where the PO timed it. With a spark plug grounded and connected, turn the engine over with your finger in the plug hole and you should get a spark just as it goes “ Phttt “ You may as well clean the air cleaner, and carburetor first. Modern oils don’t require 20-1 mixture, 30 or 40-1 more common. Also , make sure the exhaust is clear or it won’t run. Rodents like using them for storage.

·
Premium Member
1967 Falcon Rickshaw
5 Posts
Does anyone Know how I would check timing on this motor? I know how to do it on a small block chevy and I would imagine it being very similar, but I am not sure?
make sure the main seal is in place > mine came out and was just on shaft kept it from starting , on mag side

1 - 13 of 13 Posts