Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've had my 998 for a little over a month now, and just yesterday I noticed a few very small pools of engine oil sitting on the block right under the seat, header. It definitely wasn't there when I bought it. When I touched the part in the red circles, I noticed oil was there, perhaps oozing out very very slowly.

Now I have very little mechanical knowledge, but I'm just paranoid because its my understanding that engine oil should always be INSIDE the engine. I just don't want this to turn into a larger problem that I can't fix. BTW this bike has 13k and it was serviced at 11k.

I know this really just needs to be diagnosed, but if any of you superior wrenchers out there could take a look at these photos and give me some advice based on what you see, I would deeply appreciate it. (And buy you a beer if we ever meet)

Attachments

·
Banned
11,256 Posts
If the last service required the heads to be removed, the technician might have re-used the head gaskets and not sealed them properly. Its a very common issue and its very easy to resolve for a shop, just pull the head off, re-seat the gasket and put it back together again.

If the heads have never been off, it could be the sign of a weak head gasket and it might need to be replaced. I've had leaks very similar and whenever I stumble upon a bike with those type of leaks, I usually put on a new gasket.

But... There is nothing to be immediately worried about. If its just weeping oil, well... welcome to the ownership of a Ducati. They arn't really perfectly sealed machines and tend to drip some happy drops of brown gold every once in a while. You can spend every penny you have in the bank to fix it, but some motors just leak naturally. If its not gushing and not collecting a lot, just ride the bike and ignore it for the time being.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

1 - 2 of 2 Posts