Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

41 - 60 of 109 Posts

·
Retired Pipe Polisher C2H6O+
18,186 Posts
Yous guys really need to cut Ducati (and BMW) some slack. I'm sure you "software engineers" are aware of what an outdated and POS communications protocol Bluetooth is but for everyone else the problems you are having is more an issue of weakness in the Bluetooth interface and not Ducati's implementation. Bluetooth can only communicate over two different channels or profiles. HFP and A2DP. HFP (hands free protocol)allows a basic phone interface. A2DP is designed for communicating with things like MPG players. Think music. When for example you pair with your iPhone you just used up both profiles and that's it. Try to talk to another device and the most current will kick the last on off. On the iPhone you can use apps like A2DPblocker which kills the A2DP output protocol from the iPhone and allows you to then connect to other devices over that profile. The trick is knowing how each of your devices communicates. Sena gives you several options for pairing. The standard phone pairing, multipairing, phone only pairing (HFP only), and device only pairing (A2DP only). It's a juggling act.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Yous guys really need to cut Ducati (and BMW) some slack. I'm sure you "software engineers" are aware of what an outdated and POS communications protocol Bluetooth is but for everyone else the problems you are having is more an issue of weakness in the Bluetooth interface and not Ducati's implementation. Bluetooth can only communicate over two different channels or profiles. HFP and A2DP. HFP (hands free protocol)allows a basic phone interface. A2DP is designed for communicating with things like MPG players. Think music. When for example you pair with your iPhone you just used up both profiles and that's it. Try to talk to another device and the most current will kick the last on off. On the iPhone you can use apps like A2DPblocker which kills the A2DP output protocol from the iPhone and allows you to then connect to other devices over that profile. The trick is knowing how each of your devices communicates. Sena gives you several options for pairing. The standard phone pairing, multipairing, phone only pairing (HFP only), and device only pairing (A2DP only). It's a juggling act.
Ha, no I honestly haven't had to do anything with Bluetooth (thank god). However, I'd counter that others have working implementations of the protocol, it's just a matter of time until the issues are ironed out. There's always headsets / situations etc.. that are probably not accounted for during testing. So I'm sure they're probably scrambling to address things. Also, I don't believe they've added "bluetooth" to any other bike in the past, so this is probably all new to them. Who knows how small / large their software group is, and what kind of testing conditions they were able to cover given their production timeframe. /Shrug.

I believe it's just a matter of time until we have some fixes in hand that address the majority of issues folks are reporting. I have faith man! :)

·
Registered
35 Posts
I received my Sena 20S today. Installed it in my C3 Pro in about 15 minutes, then connected to Multi on second try. With iPhone then connected to Multi was able to listen to music, use turn by turn voice guiding routing, and make and receive phone calls. Haven't figured out the best usage of the multi interface for it all, but the Sena interface and using Siri works easy enough. Haven't gotten into all of the capabilities yet of the 20S, but the initial results are impressive.

·
Premium Member
3,556 Posts
I had cut the bike completely out of my comms loop... but now with the LINK app I need to have it connected for telemetry so I'm back to figuring out how to make it work. My problem is that I use apps for both music (amazon) and audiobooks (audible... which is ALSO amazon)... and the bike doesn't know anything about working with apps it appears. I never had a problem connecting to the bike but I've not figured out how to smoothly integrate phone, music, books, intercom, etc... while the bike is connected.

·
Registered
299 Posts
@DaveK - I've been able to get mine working by linking my phone to the bike and headset and *NOT* linking the headset to the bike. I have a Scalarider G9. If I turn the bike on first and then the headset, my iPhone uses the headset for audio out.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I received my Sena 20S today. Installed it in my C3 Pro in about 15 minutes, then connected to Multi on second try. With iPhone then connected to Multi was able to listen to music, use turn by turn voice guiding routing, and make and receive phone calls. Haven't figured out the best usage of the multi interface for it all, but the Sena interface and using Siri works easy enough. Haven't gotten into all of the capabilities yet of the 20S, but the initial results are impressive.
How is the volume? Do you wear ear plugs?
I bought the AGV system that had a slick physical integration with the helmet. Worked great (flawless) with the DVT/Android for controls, music, navigation, etc.
Only problem I could not hear it at speed. Ended up returning it.

·
Registered
117 Posts
@DaveK - I've been able to get mine working by linking my phone to the bike and headset and *NOT* linking the headset to the bike. I have a Scalarider G9. If I turn the bike on first and then the headset, my iPhone uses the headset for audio out.
You need to delete the headset profile from your phone, so that the only available option for the headset to connect to is the Ducati Multimedia System.

I have my Sena SMH10R and Android phone both connected to the bike and so far it works fairly well. I really don't like the bluetooth interface on the bike, but the commands from the headset are passed through to the phone, so I can still use the superior controls on the Sena. There really isn't any downside to using the bike as the bluetooth hub, because the Sena works as normal and you get current track and incoming call readouts on the dash.

·
Registered
35 Posts
How is the volume? Do you wear ear plugs?
I bought the AGV system that had a slick physical integration with the helmet. Worked great (flawless) with the DVT/Android for controls, music, navigation, etc.
Only problem I could not hear it at speed. Ended up returning it.
No problems with the volume, plenty loud once I turned up the phone volume. I do not wear ear plugs and haven't tried it yet with any. Sena just released version 1.5 Firmware which has "smart volume control", which I believe increases volume based on ambient noise.

·
Registered
299 Posts
You need to delete the headset profile from your phone, so that the only available option for the headset to connect to is the Ducati Multimedia System.
I've tried that, it doesn't work well enough for me to use it. When I had that setup, the audio would cut out if I turned my head to the left about 80% of the time. Having the controls on the bike is cool and I wish that worked as intended but it doesn't since you lose the ability to use Siri (iPhone, obviously) when hooked up that way with a G9.

In theory, I really like the idea of having my bike be the BT hub but, in practice, it just doesn't work. I suppose I should try again since the new firmware updates.

·
Premium Member
271 Posts
In theory, I really like the idea of having my bike be the BT hub but, in practice, it just doesn't work. I suppose I should try again since the new firmware updates.
I can save you some time... no improvement in BT with latest dash update that corrects the trip data reset.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I don't seem to be able to use Siri with the Sena 20S and iPhone connected to the bike. Connecting the iPhone to the Sena allows it. Same issue with the voice command "music". Do I have something connected wrong, or is this a limitation of the setup?

·
Registered
299 Posts
@Ecoyne - Thanks. Hopefully they'll fix that but it's working the way I have it set up so I'll carry on.

@JR-SoCal - Doesn't work with the G9, hopefully it does with 20S since I was thinking about getting one myself.

·
Registered
35 Posts
@EvilSteve - Thanks, I'm not seeing much use for the media system on the bike. The Sena 20S interface is actually pretty good so far. btw, I was just out at Lake Elsinore last weekend.

·
Registered
299 Posts
So, I'd been having issues with the APP not connecting to my bike and claiming that my account wasn't registered correctly. At Ducati's (let's face it, it's their app developer) suggestion, I created a new account with the same email as my Apple ID email and then, after that didn't work, I removed my phone from the bike and re-added. That seems to have fixed it for the most part but I'll keep trying. Apparently we have only a few days left for the app to be working so, I'm wondering if there's an update or release coming.

·
Registered
397 Posts
So I finally found my Sena SMH10B and successfully paired it with the bike along with my iphone 6. But as others have reported, the volume control does nothing. The iphone volume is maxed out as is the Sena volume (Sena feedback is quite clear and loud), but I can barely hear the music on the iphone. For those that have gotten things working OK, how did you get the volume to acceptable levels? I'll next try just pairing the iphone to the bike and pair the Sena to the iphone and see how that goes. I haven't been able to update the Sena firmware yet (still fighting to get it to upload on the Mac), but will continue that avenue.

41 - 60 of 109 Posts