Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 105 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a thought or question really. It seems that many of my web friends mention frequently that the sound/noise and color (generally red) bikes tend to draw a great deal of unwanted attention from the local/state cops.

What is everyone's experience with the police? Especially on their bikes. Does the noise/sound/loudness of the exhaust hinder us, or the bright red colors? Or both?

Any thoughts/ideas/experiences are greatly welcomed as I find myself having reservations more and more about riding my big red machine.

·
Registered
182 Posts
My bike is silver with hard bags and therefore invisible to police. I like it that way.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Just a thought or question really. It seems that many of my web friends mention frequently that the sound/noise and color (generally red) bikes tend to draw a great deal of unwanted attention from the local/state cops.

What is everyone's experience with the police? Especially on their bikes. Does the noise/sound/loudness of the exhaust hinder us, or the bright red colors? Or both?

Any thoughts/ideas/experiences are greatly welcomed as I find myself having reservations more and more about riding my big red machine.
I have had tickets on red and orange bikes and never on black or silver.....hmmmmmmmmmm but I do love red and orange.......

·
Registered
457 Posts
Unwanted police attention? Is there any other kind? :D

Seriously, I don't think the color really matters. You're obviously less likely to be seen or heard with a quieter bike of a darker color, but it has been my experience in the last 20 years of riding sportbikes that cops just love sportbikes. You're an easy target and there's usually some mod that has been done that he can write you up for, even if he can't nail you for speeding.

I was really worried about this with my 848 because it is my first red Ducati, however I haven't had any more problems with the police on it than I did with any other bike.

·
Registered
525 Posts
I think every bike I've ever had has been red, never even been pulled over.

Knock on wood!

·
Registered
8,545 Posts
I have not attracted any additional attention with my '02 998S Bayliss. If that doesn't grab them I don't think a red one will.

·
Banned
303 Posts
I'm a Police Officer and Ducati's have always grabbed my attention.:D

·
Registered
44 Posts
Law enforcement here as well and maybe it is because I love bikes but I look at all of them ( the Ducs I will stop and talk to) - the ones I really pay attention to are the squids on the stretched an lowered Hyabusas!

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
Red is an attention getting color regardless if it is a motorcycle, car or truck it just gets noticed more. I would argue that any loud color will get more attention. Ducati yellow also sticks out. I think it has more to do with the color then the vehicle. Obviously if you hear a motorcycle screaming past and it is louder then everything else, this will also get attention. This is really just normal reactions that are not specific to police. If you are standing on a corner at an intersection and hear something with a loud exhaust coming does it get your attention? As it goes by it is bright red, does it get your attention? Of course it does.

I always think this comment about police attention because you have a red bike is funny. You get police attention when you ask for it most times and that is usually doing something that you know will get you police attention. Simply riding a red motorcycle within the law does not get you police attention although I am sure someone on here will argue otherwise.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I'm a motorcycle enthusiast that happens to be a law enforcement officer, specifically a traffic enforcement unit. The motorists that get my professional attention are the ones that deserve it, be they on two or four or more wheels. I couldn't have put it any better than Motard-Menace already did. The ones that attract my personal attention are usually riding a Ducati, BMW or Triumph.

·
Premium Member
8,740 Posts
My bike is silver with hard bags and therefore invisible to police. I like it that way.
I have that opinion also when I'm cruising down the highway on my Multi with top case and side luggage. Another "I'm not ripping it up" is the upright position.

·
Registered
511 Posts
I read a lot of posts about "cored" exhausts, full Termi race systems, some people running straight pipes because apparently it sounds cool to them. You've got to remember, to some, it's just like that loudass Harley down the block that apparently doesn't idle, it's real irritating to some people. If you don't want to get messed with by the cops, keep it fairly quiet, leave the turn signals on it, don't put the license plate in front of the rear tire or bolted to the side of the bike, keep it registered, and don't haul ass around town, or at least around your neighborhood.

Personally, I don't like getting pulled for chickenshit stuff, so my bike is all legal.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
given current economy situation in California, budget shortage, cops have also become revenue collectors. They will pull anyone who might be suspect and provide a revenue opportunity.
Cops are also people and some of them have issues with motorcycles.
CA state passed a legislation that will collect an extra $25/infraction.
Coming home friday eve, I was behind this guy with no mirrors, license plate hidden in front of the rear tire, no rear blinkers. Zx-10 R.
The new wave of squids/stunters on public roads has drawn more attention to sportbikes.
Loud pipes save lives have drawn attention to all bikes.
At the chance of sounding cheesy, perferct storm. Budget shortage, squids/stunters or stunters wannabes, loud pipes. We are all paying for it now.

·
Registered
21 Posts
It was funny, the other day i was at a traffic light and two cop cars pulled up next to me...next thing i knew, one of the cop cars reved his engine...I thought that maybe it was an accident, but then he did it again. I looked over this time and he was laughing with his partner...I just couldn't help but laugh too...The cops here in dallas have been pretty cool if you don't do anythiing that you shouldn't.

·
Registered
8,545 Posts
I'm a motorcycle enthusiast that happens to be a law enforcement officer, specifically a traffic enforcement unit. The motorists that get my professional attention are the ones that deserve it, be they on two or four or more wheels. I couldn't have put it any better than Motard-Menace already did. The ones that attract my personal attention are usually riding a Ducati, BMW or Triumph.

So you're not one of those officers who fabricated those charges against that female motorist in FL? :)

·
Registered
68 Posts
I have been pulled over more on my harley. I usually dont ride my duc to crazy on the road, and the few times i did, the pd were going the other way and i dissapeared..

·
Super Senior Poster
6,328 Posts
Radar is color blind.
Sound however is not and just about any Ducati w/ a exahsut kit on it booms. I was riding up my favorite super highway one day and two cops had a cager pulled over on an off-ramp. I couldn't help but see their take down lights on so I was watching them as I approached. I guess I was doing about 60ish when I passed them (55mph posted) they dropped everything as I approached and watched me as I passed well by.
I have 999 w/ full Termignoni's.:D

·
Registered
30 Posts
I wonder if it might be the unique sound of a Ducati? Most people are used to the high pitch scream of the 4 cylinder bikes or the raspy straight pipe Harleys, but they don't know what to make of that rattling clutch and deep exhaust note.

·
Registered
322 Posts
The bright 08 multi I bought last thursday.

I was test riding it on the highway a few miles. And the IL cops would pass me by I was doing speed limit. Pull over up ahead around a bend our what ever, at first I did not think much of it but after hitting a few clover leafs. Going both ways I got to laughing thinking boys............................this old dude is not going to get cought this easy. It was funny and kind of stupid at the same time. I'll tell ya what though they were doing there job in springfield IL for sure. No game's up that way.

1 - 20 of 105 Posts