Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Ducatists :D
Past few days I was thinking of buying a Ducati Diavel as my first ever bike, I'm 18 years old, and I'll travel with it ( for photography and stuff)
so I thought I just should ask the experts :D
But Before riding it, I'll buy one of these $500 Chinese bikes.
So will it be good for me?
And last question, Is there a big difference between the base, Cromo and Carbon?
Thank you very much :D

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
You are in Cairo? I've never been but the image I have of the place includes crowded, narrow, busy streets clogged with traffic. Not the best place to ride a Diavel, even for 'experts'. As a beginner's bike in those conditions I would say it would be unwise.

The big 'D' does have some newb-friendly features though, like a low seat height, great balance, traction control, and (nearly) idiot proof brakes that are still strong and secure. just don't make one your very first bike, and don't use one to thread tight, slow-moving traffic.

Consider a 796 Monster or Hypermotard, or, better yet, look to other manufacturers for a 250cc bike to get a good start with.

Ride Safe!

·
Premium Member
3,178 Posts
Buy a good running older Monster 750 or so, use it for a year or so and get practice and you will like the end result much better then going into a Diavel straight from the go.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Consider a 796 Monster or Hypermotard, or, better yet, look to other manufacturers for a 250cc bike to get a good start with.
The Problem is that I got one shot only, because I don't think my parenta would understand that I'll get a bike to learn on, then buy another one after.
Thats My only problem. BTW, I may come to america soon, And also in both ways I was going to buy it from USA and use it there and here in cairo. so the crowd streets thing won't be much of a problem.
Thanks for your advice and I'll put the monster in my consideration..
Really thank you guys

·
Registered
273 Posts
I would have to agree with the other forum members, the Diavel is too much bike for a first timer no mater where you are planing on riding. You will go down at some point or at least drop the bike, usualy sooner rather than later as you learn. This doesn't mean your aren't good enough, it's just something we all have to go through. It would be a shame to do that on a Diavel.

Also if I could give you some advice. As part of the learning process, take some time to watch youtube videos of motorcycle crashes and remember those images when you feel the need for excessive speed. Motorcycles are super fun, but require a healthy respect for what they can do.

Enjoy and ride safe!

·
Banned
8,181 Posts
I would have to agree with the other forum members, the Diavel is too much bike for a first timer no mater where you are planing on riding. You will go down at some point or at least drop the bike, usualy sooner rather than later as you learn. This doesn't mean your aren't good enough, it's just something we all have to go through. It would be a shame to do that on a Diavel.

Also if I could give you some advice. As part of the learning process, take some time to watch youtube videos of motorcycle crashes and remember those images when you feel the need for excessive speed. Motorcycles are super fun, but require a healthy respect for what they can do.

Enjoy and ride safe!
This.

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
I am usually with the majority but....the Diavel is fairly light compared to say, a Suzuki 500 single cruiser (can't remember the name). The riding position is good for a beginner. With the rider mode set for urban, wouldn't it be fairly tame? Especially if he plans to start with a chinese pos.

·
Premium Member
269 Posts
I am usually with the majority but....the Diavel is fairly light compared to say, a Suzuki 500 single cruiser (can't remember the name). The riding position is good for a beginner. With the rider mode set for urban, wouldn't it be fairly tame? Especially if he plans to start with a chinese pos.
+1 The Diavel is very civil and easy to ride. You can easily put both feet on the ground when stopped; it is light; has great brakes; and you can limit it to 100hp. Buy the bike you want to ride and invest the time to master riding it.

·
Registered
273 Posts
You are forgetting the age factor... If I had a Diavel at 18 I would not have seen 19... lol

·
Registered
9 Posts
Past few days I was thinking of buying a Ducati Diavel as my first ever bike, I'm 18 years old, and I'll travel with it ( for photography and stuff)
And last question, Is there a big difference between the base, Cromo and Carbon?

i would say you could do it BUT i would really take it easy on the bike even just ride it in urban mode for a while till you really get use to the bike, then move up to touring mode after you get some good miles under your belt then go and see how you feel on sports mode. but if i was you and you have your heart set on this bike ride it a lot in urban mode! thats just my .02

·
Registered
336 Posts

Trust me, the Diavel is not a bike for beginners. You'd be much better off on a Panigale Superleggera as your first bike. Lighter and easier to handle.

But I really think you'd be even better off getting a used Yamaha YZR500.

Just my two cents.

-Henry

1 - 20 of 44 Posts