Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody found a Diagnostics tool that will work ( successfully) with the newer Ducati's like the 2015-2018 Multistrada's that are equipped with the Bosch ECU"S?????

Since the use of Bosch has been out for 3+ years, you would think someone has "filled that niche". It's a real PITA to have to work thru dealers to simply reset dates when you perform your own oil changes etc.

I love my GS911 for the BMW's but have not found anything for the newer Ducati's.

Cheers, D

Reactions: BruceWA

·
Registered
117 Posts
Please let us know how this works!

I've heard about Melcodiag for a while now, but haven't seen any reports of people using it for the DVT.

This spring I was charged $320 for the 9000 mile service which includes "clean the air filter" in addition to a 30 minute oil change. There were big chunks of mud caked on the top of the filter when I changed the airbox lid... Why must we bitch at people to do the things we paid for?
If this works for resetting the maintenance light, I'm never going back to the dealer, except for warranty claims.

Requirements:
Windows Laptop
4 Pin DDA to OBD2 cable
ELM327 USB Cable OBD2 Diagnostic Scanner with FTDI FT232RL Chip PIC18F25K80 v1.4

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
I've been using Melcodiag on my MY2013 MTS. It is quite helpful.

t_bare

·
Registered
468 Posts
Please let us know how this works!
Will do!

I've heard about Melcodiag for a while now, but haven't seen any reports of people using it for the DVT.
Same here. The site was recently updated to make the claim that it works on current multistradas, but that's a maddeningly vague statement for the writer to make. I’ll know Friday, I guess.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Extremely interested - For the same reasons articulated above. Will be following this thread for your results!

·
Registered
1,357 Posts

·
Registered
468 Posts
Extremely interested - For the same reasons articulated above. Will be following this thread for your results!
Sooo... the cables showed up and I spend a frustrating amount of time getting the right driver loaded so that Windows would recognize the ELM 27 OBD interface.

Once I got over that apparent hump, I took my laptop down to the garage and attempted to do the ECU data download required to get the correct licence for the Melcodiag tool. I had a 'successful' connection and pulled down some data, but the registration site reports that the data set is incomplete/malformed, please try again. I agree that the data on the clipboard didn't look like the expected stuff.

I tried a few more times, including various combinations of turning the bike off and on, reconnecting the cables, restarting the software, but no luck. It was hot enough in the garage that my patience was severely limited so I gave up after about 15 minutes. Gonna browse the forums some more and try again.

I'd love confirmation that the statement on the tool's website, "Compatible with current Multistradas" means DVT and newer. Who knows what "current" meant as far as when that text was last updated.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Melcodiag = only Mitsubishi ECU
That was my assumption as well but there are a couple threads in the support forum where DVT owners claim to be using that specific app. Super weird.

The good news is that the ODB cable works super well with my car and I've been able to clear all my service reminders, so it's not like I'm out anything.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
The good news is that the ODB cable works super well with my car and I've been able to clear all my service reminders, so it's not like I'm out anything.

Good thing you can use it elsewhere, sorry for suggesting it. I use it with a 2017 panigale and assumed newer multi meant dvt model.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Good thing you can use it elsewhere, sorry for suggesting it. I use it with a 2017 panigale and assumed newer multi meant dvt model.
No worries! I wouldn’t have bought it if not for the poster on their support board that claimed it worked. I wonder what kind of drugs they were on?

·
Registered
97 Posts
Thanks for trying.

I spent some time browsing the forum associated with the software and found some similar discussion between a '15 DVT owner and the tech folks at the site - The software successfully communicates with the Bosch ECU, but nobody yet knows the right codes to send to affect an error/service light reset. They Bosch codes are clearly not the same codes used for the Melco ECU.

One of the guys on the board claims to have 'sniffed' related codes, presumably on a Bosch-equipped bike, but I'm not CAN-savvy enough to understand whether he's on to something or not.

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
It does work with the DVT but only certain bits

It will connect to the ECu but not the dash yet so cant reset the service lights. I can reset the DTC and perform some other bits like run the fan but not much else

·
Registered
468 Posts
It does work with the DVT but only certain bits

It will connect to the ECu but not the dash yet so cant reset the service lights. I can reset the DTC and perform some other bits like run the fan but not much else
How'd you get the license file? The in-app process doesn't seem to work.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts