Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was surfing around the web a while ago and found a test of the Desmosedici RR dino run that got 186hp @ the rear wheel with the $9000 Termi Titanium Racing Exhaust (side exit).

Question: Is this about right for a Desmo RR? I thought that Ducati was advertising the bike to have "over 200hp @ the crank." You would think that with this full $9000 exhaust you would be seeing something more then a wimpy (sarcastic) 186hp at the rear! :D

·
Registered
620 Posts
I highly doubt the 1098R and D16 were tested on the same dyno. Different dynos give different results.

Besides, 186 HP at the rear wheel is a lot more than most people can handle reliably ;)

·
comrade moderator
26,769 Posts
Dyno numbers all by themselves are meaningless. What kind of machine was it run on? You can make a Dyno read whatever you want, etc etc etc...:)

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
#'s vary from dyno to dyno.
201 at the crank and 186 at the wheels, is not that bad of a drop. And you are getting 186hp from a "stock" bike. Reliability and power is a trade off.
The exhaust is more a weight savings than hp increase. The price is probably due to the laws of supply and demand; and it's Titanium.
Peak Hp is not really a good measure of a bike's performance.

·
Trackday Junkie
1,374 Posts
186 rwhp is very good!

Most bikes are about 10-11% loss on the dyno. This give the RR about 208 hp, which sounds about right.

All dyno's are different, and even dyno's run different numbers depending on the day, temperature, humidity, and other factors such as how much psi in the rear tire, how clean the chain is, fresh oil change and such.

186 rwhp is very good.

Also, you have to keep in mind that it's 186 rwhp with a very strong range between 10k and 14k rpm. Most liter bikes are 25 rwhp less and sign off at at 11k to 12k rpm.

The cost of the exhaust system, although it does help, is only becuase there is a demand and those that can afford an RR more than likely can afford the exhaust system that is grossly over-priced, simply because they can get it.

·
Premium Member
2,655 Posts
Ducati claims 200bhp for the D16RR at the crank with the race pipes and ECU installed. The 1098R has a claimed 186bhp at the crank with the race kit installed. I have seen a 1098R with the full 71mm system dyno at 171 so 186 is pretty good. The D16RR is not a massive power machine compared to say a GSX-R1000 with a full system and PCIII.

By the way the comment about dynos being different is important to keep in mind. If you want to see someone with no idea get just 165bhp on their Desmosedici as well as the Shift-Tech 1098R and Hypermotard runs hit the link.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
after talking to automotive engineers, I've been told that drivetrain loss is % of total hp. However, that percentage is not static. The hp loss in units IS.
In another words, drivetrain loss in terms of hp does not change.
For example, 200 crank HP and 180 whp= 10% loss and 20 HP.
Assume increase HP to 220, the loss is still 20 hp, but % changes to 9.1%.
Food for thought.

·
Super Senior Poster
6,328 Posts
only 186hp :rolleyes:

How much did you need then?
+1 that's nearly Ducati WSBK hp for the freakin' street! Heck the 999WSBK "only" had 189HP, pushed to 194HP!
You're dealing w/ a very small engine....I don't care how much you spend on an exhaust, w/ a $72,000.00 of course Ducati is going to soak somebody w/ a $9,000 exhaust.....it's all relative and cost doesn't necessarily equate performance. We're not dealing w/ a Dodge Viper here, just a motocycle engine!:D

·
Premium Member
8,729 Posts
I don't think the dyno detected the lost of weight with the new titanium exhaust package and the increased performance there. With the base bike and the exhaust upgrade, the bike is now entitled to be called a rocketship. I was out on my 999R today and when I inadvertantly twisted the throttle up and over the rise in the middle of an intersection, it threw my ass to the back of the seat as the front wheel came off the ground. I wonder what would have happened if I had done the same thing on a Desmosedici?

·
Super Moderator
8,211 Posts
"ONLY 186"
:eek:

wantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwant

//amullo

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
It will be interesting to see what kind of numbers come off the new BMW superbike when folks get ahold of them as they are advertising 196HP at the crank for the stock bike. Now add the Akro's BMW likes to use and it should be pretty impressive. I know many think its ugly but I will save judgement until I see it in person.....but the numbers they are spouting are impressive.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
I'm assuming that the Termignoni is the GP09 style with rear cylinders underneath the tail and the front cylinders exiting below the right hand side footpeg? If so, that $9000 buys not only the whole exhaust system but another tail piece and belly piece (and ECU?). Probably cheaper all up than a full system for a 999, new belly piece and rear section back in the day!

·
Premium Member
481 Posts
"Only 186"

You sir should be beaten with a blunt object.

I can't wait to have that much power in my Ducati.

(Now where did I put that supercharger kit?)

·
Premium Member
1,113 Posts
........I know the D16R and 1098R are too much for me too handle, but I was quite suprised today at the results of a dyno day at a local Ducati dealer.

Early in the morning was a 1098R that punched out 179hp. The bike had been tuned and modified (don't know what work had been done though).
Later in the day a Desmosedici went on the dyno, and it punched out 166hp.
Now, 166hp is a lot of hp, but for the AUD$100k price tag, I would have thought it would have had more hp than the 1098R.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Ha ha I was there too but didn't take my bike. I saw the D16 on the dyno get a lowish readout - a lot less than the Bayliss but I'd expect something to be amiss somewhere. Highlight was the 900SS which smoked out the dyno room!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts