Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 105 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Next Thursday, June 1st is the big day for everyone that has been waiting for the most exclusive and powerful Ducati ever. I am not even going to guess about how powerful it is as it will all be revealed right here after noon next Thursday after the Mugello launch. What we do know now is that Ducati is planning 3-400 bikes and that there will be two different versions. It is expected that 100 of them will be a super super exclusive RR with all the best bits bolted on. Another 300 could be a "standard" version if you can call a 990cc MotoGP derived V4 standard. If you own a 999R here are some good news for you since your wallet probably can take it. Ducati says: "Starting from June 2 it will be possible to reserve the bikes through the dealer network worldwide. 999R owners will have pre-emption rights." "The bike will 'run' for the next 3 months in the most important Exhibition worldwide, to arrive in November at the Eicma Show in Milan." You lucky [email protected]#$$$ds on 999Rs!

·
Registered
174 Posts
ducman123 said:
Next Thursday, June 1st is the big day for everyone that has been waiting for the most exclusive and powerful Ducati ever. I am not even going to guess about how powerful it is as it will all be revealed right here after noon next Thursday after the Mugello launch. What we do know now is that Ducati is planning 3-400 bikes and that there will be two different versions. It is expected that 100 of them will be a super super exclusive RR with all the best bits bolted on. Another 300 could be a "standard" version if you can call a 990cc MotoGP derived V4 standard. If you own a 999R here are some good news for you since your wallet probably can take it. Ducati says: "Starting from June 2 it will be possible to reserve the bikes through the dealer network worldwide. 999R owners will have pre-emption rights." "The bike will 'run' for the next 3 months in the most important Exhibition worldwide, to arrive in November at the Eicma Show in Milan." You lucky [email protected]#$$$ds on 999Rs!
What! No ops for 749R owners?

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I see a lot of trades for 999Rs coming up to get a shot at the 4 banger

·
Registered
263 Posts
ducman123 said:
mwaaaaa ha ha ha...

um, sorry

Even if there was a "flood" of 999Rs at good prices, I think an S4Rs is still next on my hitlist. At least then I'd still have money left to play with my 748.

·
Registered
174 Posts
ducman123 said:
Ducati say they will build one 'Special' per week, that's only 100 over 2 years. When does the building of the other 3-400 occur? If I had ordered a 'Special', I wouldn't want to be on the end of the queue waiting for 2 years.:sleep:

·
Registered
372 Posts
ducman123 said:
...What we do know now is that Ducati is planning 3-400 bikes and that there will be two different versions. It is expected that 100 of them will be a super super exclusive RR with all the best bits bolted on. Another 300 could be a "standard" version if you can call a 990cc MotoGP derived V4 standard...
so are we supposed to believe you or federico minoli of ducati when he said this on the ducatiblog regarding two different version of the d16rr:

"Therefore, the article on the front page of MCN from April 5, 2006 is mistaken in saying that we will produce "an economic" version for mass production. This counts as a real “bufala" (bufala in Italian literally means buffalo but it is used colloquially to mean a mistake) and does not correspond to our actual plans for the bike."

·
Premium Member
1,974 Posts
ducman123 said:
......999R owners will have pre-emption rights......
First time I read that, was when Ducati announced production of the "street-legal" MotoGP bike. I considered getting a 999R, just to get "first" in line. Only 5 nanoseconds later, reality hit .........
Ah well, let's hope that some of the future owners are on this board and let us share in the experience. But I am afraid that these bikes will be gobbled up by individuals who prefer to put them in a private collection / museum and will not ride them.
Let's face it ..... when was the last time you saw a Britten (okay, not fair, only 10 produced) or a Ferrari F40, F50 ........
RonB

·
Registered
372 Posts
i'd bet trussdude has one coming and knowing him, he'll ride the crap out of it! i can't wait to see/hear that thing blasting down firebird raceway!!!

·
Registered
135 Posts
thats what they told me at the dealer here.

60 g's no test rides. they are supposedly getting 2 of them.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Desmosedici

OK, I give up. What is so compelling about the Desmosedici versus a 999R? The styling is better, but not to 916 levels (its really kind of plain). It has more HP, but we'll see how much made the street translation. The powertrain will be extremely complex from every aspect and ignores Ducati V-twin tradition (like many racing machines, it is an engine built to a set of rules). Not to mention the $60k asking price.

Sorry, I don't feel the love.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
rz33v4 said:
OK, I give up. What is so compelling about the Desmosedici versus a 999R? The styling is better, but not to 916 levels (its really kind of plain). It has more HP, but we'll see how much made the street translation. The powertrain will be extremely complex from every aspect and ignores Ducati V-twin tradition (like many racing machines, it is an engine built to a set of rules). Not to mention the $60k asking price.

Sorry, I don't feel the love.
For some the price will be a compelling enough reason to buy.

Hopefully Ducati won't be "forced" into campaigning a V-4 in WSB as it could be a near-death experience for the company. The end of twin-cylinder racing would be devastating to sales of those bikes. Given Ducati reliability is inversely proportional to complexity, the maintenance burden of a Ducati-built four will deter many buyers regardless of how "inexpensively" the later versions of the desmosedici may be priced.

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
rz33v4 said:
OK, I give up. What is so compelling about the Desmosedici versus a 999R?
Thats easy, it doesn't have the ridiculous "barge boards" of the 999 design !

But seriously- exclusivity, novelty....the usual stuff. I am happy if Ducati can build it and make money on it. In all likelihood it's daylight appearances will be limited to parking in a high viz location for all to admire, and with more days than miles on the tires. Think of it as your Ferrari Enzo for the economically disadvantaged.

And not unlike the Enzo, it is unlikely that Ducati will allow the magazines to actually test one. ( Road and Track was denied a test, and had to wait for a private owner to offer one up.)

1 - 20 of 105 Posts