Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

Came across this book tonight - Ducati Desmoquattro Performance Handbook by Ian Falloon. Thinking of buying a copy, however, he wrote this in 2003, and I’m guessing a lot more information and knowledge has come to light since then. Is this book worth buying? Of course, yes, because it’s a great book, but does it hold up 16 years later? I’ve searched this site but found nothing specific about this particular Ian Falloon book.

Thanks in advance for any opinions.

Jay

·
Premium Member
1,226 Posts
It's an amazing book with a ton of really great info. A couple of the best Ducati guys I know swear that's the best Ducati book out there - and as recently as earlier this year - for the 916 gen bikes.

·
Registered
3,912 Posts
At anywhere near the original cover price of $24.95 I'm sure its a great book, but this forum has better detail and procedures.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the reply!
Wondering if the newer eprom research and availability would make some of the info in this book moot.
Whatever. Think I'm gonna buy the book just 'cause, even though it's $124. Yikes. 'Cause I'm big time into my 996.
Jay

·
Registered
3,912 Posts
There are "prettier" books on Ducati, some by the same author and some even cover your bike unlike this one.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hmm. I do dig pretty, but useful performance information is more appreciated.
You're saying this book doesn't have much for the 996?
What other books would you recommend?

There are "prettier" books on Ducati, some by the same author and some even cover your bike unlike this one.

·
Registered
3,912 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the links. Those books are probably gold mines of info, but my focus is narrow at this point to the 996.

·
Registered
3,912 Posts
Essentially Desmoquattro is a motorcycle engine design from 1930, any of the books above will show what has evolved, why they changed things for more power and reliability, but to get the bike ripping beyond the almost perfect state by your model you really are back to the computer and a tuning shop. And the 999 has improvements that cross over the the 996, imo,... so that book is worth a read at a realistic price.

For racing purposes, there are many good books on technique and tuning suspension that have nothing to do with computers on the bikes, nor anything specific to Ducati.

·
Registered
177 Posts
The general feeling seems to be that you can get pretty much all the info in that book, but actually get shown how to apply your new-found knowledge by buying LT Snyder's 'Desmoquattro Maintenance and Modification Guide' instead.

·
Registered
3,912 Posts
Let us know if you get the book, post a review. It is a hard to find book but not impossible. Belter is turning his shed upside down looking for it now,...

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Funny, RockAZ. I can see it now, Christmas eve, he's throwing things this way and that, ignoring his family, just to find this book. Not.
You guys have been very helpful. Obviously I'm a FNG. With a nod to P. K. Dick who wrote Do Androids Dream Of Electric Sheep, I'm a droid human who dreams Ducati 996. Fuckin love this bike and want to know as much as possible, which is why I'm here on Christmas eve; just another day for me.
I'll get a book or two, but as far as posting a review, I'm starting from the bottom so I doubt I can say what has not already been said.
Thanks again everyone!
Jay

(
Let us know if you get the book, post a review. It is a hard to find book but not impossible. Belter is turning his shed upside down looking for it now,...

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Hello all,

Came across this book tonight - Ducati Desmoquattro Performance Handbook by Ian Falloon. Thinking of buying a copy, however, he wrote this in 2003, and I’m guessing a lot more information and knowledge has come to light since then. Is this book worth buying? Of course, yes, because it’s a great book, but does it hold up 16 years later? I’ve searched this site but found nothing specific about this particular Ian Falloon book.

Thanks in advance for any opinions.

Jay
I have this book, it's pretty good, what i like about it is it points out the weaknesses and strengths of each model, as well as tuning suggestions and ways around the shortcomings of them.

Given the Desmoquattro was essentially outdated when it was superseded by the 998 and it's testastretta engine, what is written is still valid so it's not like it has no value, especially if you're looking to improve your bike. It has information relating to mapping and power commanders which is interesting but really, once installed you either find a canned map that suits your combo or pay a dyno guy to tune it, knowing the computer isn't really necessary. Knowing how they built it, why they did it that way and how that limits what you want to get out of it, and how to take that into account to improve it is a big help.
There's plenty of useful information in it

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
The general feeling seems to be that you can get pretty much all the info in that book, but actually get shown how to apply your new-found knowledge by buying LT Snyder's 'Desmoquattro Maintenance and Modification Guide' instead.
Nah, LT's book is different, it's more of a hands on maintenance manual, at least, my 2nd edition is, it's brilliant for those learning to do their own maintenance and servicing with heaps of handy tips but it doesn't have the detail and historical information with design limitations per model and modifications that suit. Falloons book is worth it for the pics, diagrams and tables alone.

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
Belter is turning his shed upside down looking for it now,...
:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

funny you say that. i went into the office and it's not on the shelf. i had a feeling i took it to work, but now that i think about it more i'm wondering if i gave it to someone.

if it's known it was gong to be worth 124 us i'd have kept it. well, maybe not.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts