Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it worth owning a nice motorcycle if you live in Hawaii? Duck Dealers or places authorized to work on them? Are there any great places to ride there? If I moved would it be smart to bring my SBK? Thanks for any info...

·
Registered
463 Posts
Order parts and Accessories from the internet and do the work yourself ( if you are able to). If not, then no. It would not be feasible. jus' my $0.02.

·
Premium Member
5,647 Posts
I bought my Ducati in Hawaii at South Seas Honda, BMW, Ducati, and Yamaha. I haven't lived there since 2003, so I can't say for sure if they still sell Ducs. The Ducati section was a very small corner of the shop at the time I bought mine in 2001.

Never had service done there, but I did get some parts and had a warranty issue corrected. At the time, they were decent people to deal with. I lived (and road) there for three years. Yes, there are some very nice roads to ride. You didn't say where in Hawaii you were thinking about moving to, but I lived on Oahu. The problem with the place is TRAFFIC. Lots of it. If you know when and where to ride, you'll be fine. Nothing more frustrating than going out on a ride around the island (a whopping 120 or so miles) and getting stuck behind a tour buss with no way to pass. That 120 mile trip has taken me 4 hours on a number of occasions.

This was THE road on Oahu. I did a few passes every weekend, and sometimes on my way home form a hard day’s work. http://www.motorcycleroads.us/roads/hi_rtd.html . Best twisties on the island. Very technical, but not too fast. Only about 10 miles, but by the time you've made one pass and then back for the return trip, you'll be pretty tired.

The place gets small FAST. I road every day I physically could. I took the longest possible way to work I could find (with out going all the way around!), and I still only managed to put 10000 miles on my bike in three years. There were a lot of bikes on the island, and it was a nice place for the time I was there, but i was ready to leave after my time (military) was up.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Hawaii is the perfect place to ride, in my opinion. That's where I learned to ride, in fact.

There were a bunch of guys that used to meet at Ala Moana park on Sundays. We'd ride around the whole island. Some of the guys were idiots, some were pretty cool.

There are a few places on Oahu (the main island, with Honolulu) where the ride is really special... you can go for a nice slow tour past Maka Pu'u beach near Waimanalo, see the beach, rocks, waves and some waterfalls on the hills.

Used to be (and maybe still) that helmets were NOT required in Hawaii. Well, riding without one is dumb, but there's something really free and refreshing about riding without a helmet. I'm against it, but I have and it's great!

I have nothing to say about riding in Hawaii but Excellent, Excellent, Excellent!!!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts