Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
Good insights and very funny. In defense of the younger generations, I should point out a couple of things so I don't sound too much like the sour, late blooming Baby Boomer that I can be ...

1. Decades ago - before the younger generations were even born - when the outsourcing of good blue collar factory jobs started - jobs that you buy a house with - it was just a matter of time when the bottleneck of available good jobs would hit. Yeah, current "unemployment" is low, but that's with low-paying, part-time "jobs" that are here today and gone tomorrow.

2. Decades ago - before the younger generations were even born - the technology that would turn them into brainless, gadget-addicted munchkins was being developed and marketed. The distracted kids these days didn't happen to find these gadgets magically sprouting up out of the ground in their back yards. Older generations developed, marketed, and handed them to their kids.

I'm hoping more studies showing just how physically bad these gadgets are for childhood brain development will stem the tide, but I have a bad feeling the genie is out of the bottle. :(

·
Premium Member
587 Posts
I think some of this talk is overblown.

I have 11 and 13 year old boys and they love all of my motorcycles and cars. For their birthdays, they always ask if I can take them to school in one of the Ferraris (usually a no-no). They work on the stuff with me and they love when I need their help "because I need someone with small hands" to reach in somewhere and turn a wrench.

My younger son wanted to buy an old Ducati to clean up and sell earlier this year. He did an amazing job and it filled me with pride to see how much he cared and loved it. My older son wants to do a road trip with me from California to Colorado next week as I need to bring a car back home. He knows there will be no electronics but says "it sounds like a real adventure" and doesn't want to miss it.

They're both very active and fit kids. They play lots of sports, run 5k and 10k races, and beg all the time that I'll let them race karts like their old man used to.

I don't know but I think they're going to make ideal motorcyclists when they're older.

·
Registered
31 Posts

I have 11 and 13 year old boys and they love all of my motorcycles and cars. For their birthdays, they always ask if I can take them to school in one of the Ferraris (usually a no-no). They work on the stuff with me and they love when I need their help "because I need someone with small hands" to reach in somewhere and turn a wrench.

My younger son wanted to buy an old Ducati to clean up and sell earlier this year. He did an amazing job and it filled me with pride to see how much he cared and loved it. My older son wants to do a road trip with me from California to Colorado next week as I need to bring a car back home. He knows there will be no electronics but says "it sounds like a real adventure" and doesn't want to miss it.

They're both very active and fit kids. They play lots of sports, run 5k and 10k races, and beg all the time that I'll let them race karts like their old man used to.

I don't know but I think they're going to make ideal motorcyclists when they're older.
Your kids got into it because you were into it. Just like my dad got my sister and I into cars. He worked for Chrysler for 30 years. Now, imagine if you drove a ho-hum vehicle to work everyday and weren't into motorsports of any kind, and to top it off, your kids liked to play video games (and not necessarily play outside too much). What would cause them to be interested in vehicles? Some people just don't care. Vehicles are only for A to B, nothing more. The kids really won't care if they have other hobbies or distractions. But I think the root cause for people to grow up and be involved is someone taking them under their wing. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
385 Posts
See this vid if you don't thing too much "thumbing on the little box" is a bad thing. It's short.
https://video.foxnews.com/v/5977748244001/?#sp=show-clips

While of course this technology didn't exist when I was a kid, but I was too busy playing baseball, riding my bicycle everywhere and building models to do anything else, including drugs. And no, my dad, or the rest of the fam, was never into bikes but I had one at 17 and before I had a car. I think it sprung from the bicycling and the need to be free from being stuck at home. Soon I was taking things apart - to this day, it's the learning experience that keeps me going.

·
Registered
540 Posts
I sure am hoping so. BUT, A., from the bikes listed in your siggie, your kids are safely not the blue collar kids I playfully ? referenced, and B., having lived in Bangkok and Kuala Lumpur, and travelled in Vietnam, I've seen the future. And its urm, interesting. At least the foods awesome as the ladies. And lane splitting is a mans sport there that even the ladies have mastered. 49-stater US riders are not ready for prime time future urbanity. May it never reach you.

·
Premium Member
587 Posts
I sure am hoping so. BUT, A., from the bikes listed in your siggie, your kids are safely not the blue collar kids I playfully ? referenced, and B., having lived in Bangkok and Kuala Lumpur, and travelled in Vietnam, I've seen the future. And its urm, interesting. At least the foods awesome as the ladies. And lane splitting is a mans sport there that even the ladies have mastered. 49-stater US riders are not ready for prime time future urbanity. May it never reach you.
While I grew up in a blue collar house, I would agree that my children have not but I didn't realize that the future of motorcycling from an enthusiasts standpoint (and if we are talking about a Ducati dealership then I would venture to say that is indeed the target market) was limited to blue collar people.

Also, I have lived over a quarter of my life in several truly third world countries so I am quite familiar with that of which you speak. It where I learned the true use of the expression, "elbows out."

·
Registered
809 Posts

·
Premium Member
587 Posts
When I read this it reminded me of a story I saw on the television a few months ago. I hope this isn't the reason it's usually a no-no......

https://carbuzz.com/news/cool-dad-gets-bullied-for-driving-son-to-school-in-a-ferrari-488
Well, it kind of is in an abstract way but it's not really it. I guess I should share a little.

I love sports cars. I always have. When I made enough money, I bought one, and later another, etc. etc. etc. However, I didn't buy them to go to dinners or go to work, etc. They're like "point a to point a" cars. I will take one out on a Sunday morning very early while no one is on the road and bomb the canyons and come back and park it back in the garage. Maybe there's a stop for coffee when the coffee place opens and no one is there. But generally that's it. They get used properly but used judiciously. And generally speaking, 20 years ago, that's how those cars were used. You tinkered with them and you used them properly and you drove a normal car the rest of the time.

I have explained to my kids that the cars aren't things to talk about or things that mean that you're better than anyone else. They're things that you bring you joy when you use them or appreciate their beauty or their engineering. So doing things like taking them to school isn't on that use list. So they like it as a birthday thing as it's a special occasion and we are doing something they enjoy and it's special and we are doing it together. My everyday car is a 15 year old Volvo with 120k miles so it's not like my every day car is special to anyone other than me (I love it).

So, I have had other parents make the occasional snide comments to me (my older son goes to a special needs school and those parents haven't liked the 3 occasions in 6 years that I've driven one of the cars there and I've had to hear about it) but the reality is that I don't give a crap what they think. If they're mad that I have some Ferraris then that's really their problem and not mine. A few years ago I had no money and I had to scrape and claw for everything that I have. It's my money and no one gave it to me and I can do whatever I want with it. And I explained that to my kids. I said let people talk as much crap as they feel like about it. If they choose to judge you or me by what I like and enjoy, that should tell you everything you need to know about them. That said, my kids don't make a big deal about it and so none of their friends do either. It's the occasional outlier that causes the issues.

Which, incidentally, is one of the awesome by products of a love for motorcycles. You can put on your helmet and get on the rarest and most special motorbike on the planet and basically the most you get from anyone who's not a true motorcycle nut is, "that's a cool bike." No one knows what they cost or what makes it different, if at all.

Back to the question: the cars really have made for great teaching moments of all kinds of life lessons for the kids and the bonding that we have done over them and the motorcycles has really been special.

·
Registered
95 Posts
You truly seem like a sincere guy Sherpa and deserve your wealth especially if you earned it.
There will always be people that hate and talk about you. My motto in life is to ignore it. I don't let anything bother me. I have nice toys but they are not that expensive as a Ferrari. I afford what I can and save then buy/pay in full (blue collar). We are all enthusiasts and I'll never hate on a person with more expensive cars/bikes than me. I applaud you and will marvel at your collection.
I think the problem is non-enthusiasts see sports cars and motorcycles as useless and "showing off". I don't have my stuff to show off I fucking enjoy them.
Drive your kid to school in your Ferrari (or whatever sports car you own) because it will make them happy. That is all that should matter. Forget about the haters.

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
New to Forum

Im Gino, just read though this thread and wanted to comment, Del Amo Motorsports has just opened 3 more Mega Dealerships , their main being in Redondo Beach, and they seem to be doing very well. I am an analog guy and I despise anything electric except my Scalextrix slot car set. I own a 2017 Monster 1200 R in Black and a 2015 Monster 1200 S STripe In my estimation they are the best motorcycles built in the world from a riders standpoint. And yes, In los angeles which is now a 3rd world city, there are electric bikes and scooter everywhere making the insanity of driving or riding within the county limits even more insane. Thank God for the canyons and mountains that outline the California landscape. I am also a car nut. I do not like the fact that all these new Ferraris and Lambos are all paddle shifted. I will never own a new Ferrari, my 89 328 GTS has just been restored all but the interior, its a 5 speed and the driving experience can never be match by anything out of Marinello today. I agree with what has been said about this latest generation, they cant do anything but glue themselves to everything that keeps them from real human interaction. Im also surprised that Ducati TO has been closed, I did not know that until today. Im 55 and I still ride almost every day. Where I live there are as many teslas as their are BMWs, and their drivers seem to think they can be faster off the line then motorcycles. I could care less what the 0-60 time is for anything electric. As far as cars go, Porsche is still making cars with manual gear boxes, but not that many. The only other car that has me interested is the last Lambo with a 6 speed gate is an 08 Gallado, which Im blessed enough to have the ability to eventually park one next to the F CAr. I have also been to Ducati NewPort Beach, which is actually in Costa Mesa, its nice. Del Amo still has not been able to find out why my 15 continues to stall out when coming to a stop, it happens quite a lot, Ducati No America keeps telling me that have not heard anything, which is bullshit because there are posts all over the forums about it. I saw that one guy did bring his bike to TO Ducati and they fixed it, I just discovered his post, and now I find out that they are closed so I will have to figure out whats next.

·
Registered
4,968 Posts
Came across this thread and just thought to post that Northern Ohio Ducati Triumph is closing. I don't recall the final day but, it's close. Anyone needing parts (maybe cheaper than the norm) should CALL them with your needs.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts