Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else had their dealer refuse to reset the service light when they didn't do the service? I did my first 600 mile service myself a while back, ran with the service light for a bit longer. Decided I wanted to get it reset since I'd be going past the dealer this weekend. I called ahead to ensure they weren't swamped and I'd be waiting hours for a 2 min job. They told me they flat out could not do it since they did not do the service on the bike. Stating it's a Ducati requirement for liability reasons (warranty).

Has anyone else ran into this issue? The only work around they offered was to charge me for 1 hour of labor, and look over the bike to ensure I did the service myself properly. Sounds ridiculous to me.

I'm a mechanic, I do all my own services, I've rebuilt bikes 100 times over. Anyone know of definitive way to do this myself at home. Even if it requires purchasing diagnostic tools/software. This is my first Ducati, so new to their way of thinking..

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
I remember reading another thread recently on this forum discussing how to turn off this message, so try searching.

But I'd recommend you consider taking up that dealer's offer. It will be a small price to pay for that dealer's support if you need warranty work done, and you couldn't otherwise show that servicing was done by an authorized Ducati wrench (which I assume you are not). Goodwill in that situation could save you lots of cash and headaches.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Tim

You can always try that old standby....

1. Push and hold (don't let off) the left button.

2. Then turn the key (pull down red slider) and let the display sweep.

3. Then turn the key (slider) off.

4. Lastly, release the button.

I have no clue, Tim, but what's the worse that could happen?

The best is that you reset the miles counter.

Dan

·
Registered
150 Posts
This is going to vary by dealer. I've done my 1st service on several Ducatis and my dealer reset the light with no questions...for free. It might have been a good idea to ask them up front if they will though.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Has anyone else ran into this issue? The only work around they offered was to charge me for 1 hour of labor, and look over the bike to ensure I did the service myself properly. Sounds ridiculous to me.
You can't reset it.

I'm afraid you're "screwed" here. As you probably know...the warranty can't be voided if you or someone else does the service and it can support that the service was done(oil receipts, etc). However, even though you did the service, you can't make the dealership turn it off free. Sounds shitty I know but they're in biz to make money. They do have to pull the seat, hook up the computer, find the program, etc. That takes time, a small amount but time, nonetheless. A good relationship between you and the dealer may have had other results but in any case...this dealer certainly isn't out to do you any favors. Customer goodwill be damned.

Won't make you feel any better but my guy has done that for me with other stuff numerous times. Hope you have another dealer option.

·
Registered
3,847 Posts
Does that light really bother you that much?
I bought my bike used with 300 miles on and decided to do the glorified 600 mile service myself when I know my dealer would charge about close to 600 since I didn't buy it from him, the light still on and will stay on until I'll go for a 1st major service, big deal!
Usually they charge 1/2 hr svc if you find one without the chip on his shoulder.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Buckeye's comments make sense, but I would still want a dealer in my corner (just in case). Maybe consider getting your next new tire from them, purchase and installation; they might just tun off that light then :eek:

·
Registered
426 Posts
You have to put yourself in their shoes: what proof do they have that you did the service according to the manual? Did you use genuine Ducati parts and the specified oil? How would they know that?

It's all very well doing your own service and we all have that choice but it's a bit rich to expect a Ducati dealer to accept ANY kind of liability for something they never did by turning off your service warning.

The 12,000km service is cheap. I might supply the oil to the dealer as I work in an industry where I get the good stuff very cheap. However, I reckon supporting your local dealers is really important. If everyone did their own services and bought bikes and accessories online; where would that leave us for support if and when things go awry? Where would we see all the models coming out if shops can't afford to keep their doors open?
There's a price to be paid for buying grey market, non dealer, 3rd party, overseas etc: that price is that your local industry starts to shut down.

·
Registered
530 Posts
I'm very much a diy guy myself and have done all my own service on previous bikes, until this one. My local dealer is empty every time I go in there and combined with the current economic situation, I'm inclined to have them do the work. So far it has worked well for me.

I've been converted to the "support your dealer" camp for now. In fact, they are doing my 7500 mile service as I type this. If you have the money I say give them a chance.

Sent from my EVO using Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
186 Posts
What liability does the dealer take on for turning off the service light? It's our motorcycle we pay for it, let us decide if we want to take it to the dealer for service or not, that's my motto. It's just a case of the dealer being greedy and not willing to help a customer. Maybe if they would reset the light they would get future business from the OP.

Personally I wouldn't mind paying a "reasonable" fee to have the light turned off but the two shitty dealers close to me want an hours labor, no thanks!

Obviously there are some good dealers out there and DO take care of folks but I don't have one near me.

·
7,733 Posts
Anyone else had their dealer refuse to reset the service light when they didn't do the service? I did my first 600 mile service myself a while back, ran with the service light for a bit longer. Decided I wanted to get it reset since I'd be going past the dealer this weekend. I called ahead to ensure they weren't swamped and I'd be waiting hours for a 2 min job. They told me they flat out could not do it since they did not do the service on the bike. Stating it's a Ducati requirement for liability reasons (warranty).

I'm a mechanic, I do all my own services, I've rebuilt bikes 100 times over. Anyone know of definitive way to do this myself at home. Even if it requires purchasing diagnostic tools/software. This is my first Ducati, so new to their way of thinking..
Your dealer apparently doesn't want to sell you parts or another bike. :)

·
Registered
392 Posts
I will let them reset it at the 15000 mi

My dealer is > 2hr away. When I bought the bike, and when I had the 600 mi service, they offered free pickup and delivery to my town. I called to have them pick it up for the 7500 mi oil change and they said "sure that'll be $150" on top of the probably $250 for the oil change. So I was looking at $400 for an oil change. So I did it myself for $60 including the o-rings for the strainer and the metal gasket for the strainer cover. I will look at the service light every day until they do the 15000 mi valve adjustment. The light doesn't bother me.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Do a search for Ducati Diag, i believe you can reset the service light with it, I have my cables on order waiting to test it out.
The site is in French but there is a great international section for English speaking Users, also there is the option of translating the French pages.

Hope this helps

·
Premium Member
426 Posts
My dealer actually recommended that I service it myself because they were so backed up with work. When I took it in to clear the code it took about a minute, and they charged me about $100.

...expensive minute.

·
Registered
96 Posts
It's interesting that the excuse for lies is "they need to make money"

If they said "we won't do it unless you pay X". Then that is fair. What number X is determines if it
Reasonable. To say it illegal, voids the warranty, is a lie.

Poor customer service isn't a an excuse it's a symptom of the business forgetting how pays the bills, the customer.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
I WON Mrs Cupcakes ;)
2,958 Posts
ok , lets argue for a moment you actually used inferior oil , didnt bother checking/changing the filter etc etc and the engine seizes before the first major service ?????

where does that leave the dealer and you if he got rid of the service light ?

If you dont have an established relationship with the dealer I can sorta understand why they may be hesitant .. basically protecting your arse in spite of yourself

·
Registered
50 Posts
Or the other side of the coin. i got sick and tired of getting riped off by stealers,vendors, oil you name it, its all WAY over priced.
So i chose not to own a motorcycle anymore. After years of riding. Just not worth it anymore. i didnt even mention insurance. Oh wait i did

·
Registered
3,847 Posts
Or the other side of the coin. i got sick and tired of getting riped off by stealers,vendors, oil you name it, its all WAY over priced.
So i chose not to own a motorcycle anymore. After years of riding. Just not worth it anymore. i didnt even mention insurance. Oh wait i did
....and yet you hang out on a motorcycle forum.......
I guess you gave up driving a car too since it requires the same things posted above? :think:

·
Premium Member
12,300 Posts
Well if you bought the oil and filter from the dealer and asked REALLY REALL nicely how much they would charge to turn off the light, maybe you would get a deal....

The light comes on at 600 or whatever ,so if the service was done pre the mileage the light will come on at the 660 mile mark or whatever...

You should expect to pay something for the time and cost of the equiptment to set things right...But anything over $50 is too much, just to reset...
AND if a warantee issue is discovered you will have to prove work was done right...

·
Registered
230 Posts
Yeah, this asshole dealership near my house (not the one I purchased my SF from or had the 600 mile service done) charged my 35 to reset the light since they didn't do the service.

This is why they will NEVER get my business! BITCHES!

1 - 20 of 72 Posts