Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well...I love my bike but getting it serviced is just like getting a divorce...they want half!!!

Just kidding...I went to the dealer to have them mount/balance 2 new Michelin Pures(love the tires)...got the bill for labor to install the tires....

$238...I thought it was an error maybe..it was not...I am in the wrong business...just for my own sanity I called GP and Pro Italia...they quoted $90...I pointed this out to dealer and got a "hmmm"

Who knows a good mechanic for Ducati in Orange County that charges reasonable rates?

Love the bike, hate the bend you over service costs...I will say this though in all fairness...Newport did a good job and the rims tires look great!

·
Registered
965 Posts
Apples and oranges?

Were the quotes for the same service? By your description it sounds that you brought your bike in and had the first shop pull both wheels off the bike and dismount and mount and balance a new set of tires. The second quote appears to be for the same service but, with the wheels already off the bike. If that is true the price and the difference sounds about right.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Agreed, RUNnDUC.

If you had the first shop remove the wheels from the bike, then remove the tires from the wheels, then mount and balance the tires and then reinstall them on the bike - the price will be much higher than bringing bare wheels and tires to a shop and having them mounted and balanced.

A local shop just performed the bare-wheel-mount-and-balance for me at whopping total of $65. :)

E

·
Registered
965 Posts
Apples and oranges?

Repost

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Apples & Oranges? lemons maybe...

Just to be perfectly clear...the quotes are for the same exact service and procedures...bike coming in with old, mounted tires...old tires removed from bike then mount and balance 2 new tires...

BTW---SBK Corse just quoted $100 and seemed to actually want my business...:)

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Most shops around here charge around $80 to $100 to swap tires and balance. $238!!! That's ridiculous!

And I really can't believe other forum members are busting your balls because Newport Ducati has apparently lost their mind.:think:

·
Premium Member
2,887 Posts
Dealerships almost always charge more than independent shops. So for some services you may want to stay away from the dealership...tire changes being one of them. It's not like a Duc has special tire requirements (valve adjust is a different story, obviously).

·
Registered
965 Posts
Three weeks ago I needed a front tire; I was looking for a Metzeler Roadtec Z8 Interact Sport Touring for my ST4s. I checked four shops in my area. The prices for the tire were within $15.00 of each other on the tire and +/- $5.00 on mount and balance. Erico Ducati in Denver had the tire when the others had to ship in between two days and a week. The total bill at Erico was $220.00 for the tire, the pull of the bike, dismount, mount and balance and a chain service. I wasn’t crazy for the cost but that is the going rate in my area. And I didn’t need to worry about the craftsmanship.

I surely wasn’t “busting anyone’s balls”, I was attempting to be clear on the description of service performed and what service was quoted. If my comment was too harsh then some skin must be on the thin side.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Nuts! Purchasing tires from dealers will lower the installation cost. I just had front and rear bt016 pro's put on my s2r1k at my dealer, purchased tires from them, they had bike for a few days. $350 and change after tax. Just to put into perspective.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPad app

·
Premium Member
1,088 Posts
Sounds like The OC tax if I ever heard it. At those prices you might as well invest in front and rear stands, pull the wheels yourself and bring them into a shop. Buy the tires online somewhere, and bring them to any bike shop. Should be in the $20ish range per wheel to swap the tires.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Dealers in Austin charge from $80 - $110 to install and balance new tires with the wheels on the bike. Indy shops run about $20 less. I prefer a reputable indy shop for this because they seldom keep much in the way of tire inventory, and therefore don't charge more because you bought tires elsewhere.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Man, the only time I've ever bought tires it was $120 for both tires, mount, AND balance... it was for an old Suzuki GS400 though, so...

Usually I don't own a bike long enough to need new tires :D

·
Premium Member
1,198 Posts
The Ducati dealer in Ft Worth charges $60 per tire (drive up, they do it all). If you pull your own wheels, there is a shop in north Dallas that's about half that.

You got ripped off to me.

Bob

·
Registered
257 Posts
Here's the thing.......they are running a business. If you bring your own parts (Tires) they need to adjust the labor to account for the lost parts profit. Or else, they have to turn off the lights, gas, phone etc...etc... and mount your tires in the dark (won't be good for the rims). Shops that cut rates are cutting their own throats and won't be there when you need them. Where you live, aren't they required to give you a written estimate? If not, it might be there way of saying "see you next time ......NOT!"
Sounds like your high end shop charged you for 2 hours of shop time, including lost parts profit, to do what you asked them to do. Doesn't seem unreasonable. Any problems with the work? Cut tire bead...ugly weights....scratched rim... loose axle...caliper fell off...wrong tire pressure? If you are a regular customer, they may choose to make no money on tire work, Once again, that might be part of their business model.
I live in a more "economical" area than you. I save money buying tires online, pull the wheels myself and expect to pay a professional $100 or so to mount and balance "my" tires, without damaging my rims or tires, that being the only real warranty.If you want a bargain then shop for price first. BUT, don't then complain about the quality of the work.

Don't mean to rant, but I'm a Euro Car tech with a lot of very expensive, specialized, training, tools and equipment. This is almost a daily conversation for me. If you want the "good" folks working on your stuff, please allow us all to make a living or we'll all just go fish'in.

·
Registered
622 Posts
I just had my rear tire & tube replaced for $40 at a local non-dealership shop. That included re/re of the wheel as well. $238 sounds high for the pair - even for a Duc dealership.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Well there's your problem....

Our local ChiVinMoto tire changing guru Norm "The No Mar Ninja" charges me $20 per wheel to mount and balance as long as I bring just the wheel off the bike. Does them while you wait no less! He just did some Avons on my extremely delicate aluminum Borrani bevel Duc rims. Not a scratch. Guess you could fly to Chicago and get the work done....

·
Premium Member
1,137 Posts
Wow
One of our local Ducati dealers charged me $175. to install, balance, scratch a rim, ruin 2 tires by bead snap mounting and stripping my front rotor bolts. When I went into a mini tirade, I was told sometimes this happens, sorry about your luck. No, sorry about their luck. If I even sense someone is headed there to purchase a bike, part, get service or use the john I do everything in my power to persuade them to go elsewhere. Recently I took my Hyper to the Ducati dealer that's west of us to have tires installed. They replaced and balanced my new tires, cleaned my bike, road tested the bike and charged $90. a wheel. I might add this was on the bike, not walking in with wheels. They also asked what pressure I preferred, fixed me a cappuccino and sold me various other items that they had in inventory. They also arranged for the Triumph rep to drop me and my bike back to my house considering it was pouring the rain and didn't want me to have to ride home given the situation. BTW, the Triumph rep was headed to visit the ass wipe dealer the following day. What a pleasant experience. I was very appreciative of the rep taking his time, treated him to dinner and bent his ear about the dealer he was about to visit. I've never owned a triumph, but after their rep's generosity and enthusiastic knowledge of his product I would definitely not rule one out in the future. I will never darken the door step of the dealership in Lexington again, Period. I'm sure they feel I'm an asshole and a good riddance. Good for them.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts