Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Thanks all for the input and comments thus far.

I know that DNA has no specific obligation to provide documentation, beyond the conventions and expectations of helping a customer, so I know this is on me. However, it's pretty disappointing to see the cowardice of a motorcycle manufacturer in the face of a trifling, debatably imagined, concern over legal liability.

<snip>

Keeping it Canada registered is something I looked at, but my home province refused to re register it without it inside the country. Besides that, and in keeping with the theme of legal liability concerns, I wouldn't be comfortable knowing that my insurance was on shaky ground.
So when Ducati doesn't want to venture into legal liabilities they are cowards, but when YOU may face financial burdens its a different story? Let me guess, you bought the bike used, and now expecting preferential treatment because you're such a great customer?

If you have a local address how does the province know the bike isn't there? Do they need to see it to renew the registration? (Honest question, I don't know). Can you get insurance in the US for a bike that's registered in Canada? I don't know that either. Should we discuss if your concern over potential legal liability is imagined?

A possibility has come up to have the bike imported by an official importer. Though this is not without cost (and a month waiting out a grace period), it would at least mean that I get to keep the bike. It would unfortunately also entail swapping out my beautiful Termi exhaust system for the stocker, too.
You realize you wouldn't have to surrender the Termi exhaust, right? Put it on for the customs inspection, take it off when you get the paperwork signed. Stock Hyper exhausts can't be hard to find. It's not rocket science switching them. FFS if you aren't even willing to do that just ship it back, buy a Yamaha (That'll show those pussies at Ducati!) or whatever and get on with life.

A couple misc thoughts garnered from 30+ years in the OEM exhaust development world (as in dealing with gov't requirements) and 25+ years dealing with Ducatis.

Letters of conformance are neither standard nor ubiquitous
EPA compliance is not a trivial thing
ECUs are kind of a big deal in the compliance world.
Ducati doesn't give a shit about bikes they've already sold. Certainly not ten year old bikes.

Good luck... and realize you're going to have to pay a tariff(?) on the bike if/when this goes through. Tariff may not be the right word but there will be a fee for importing an Italian vehicle. I think it was around $200 for my 851, no idea what it will be for you. And there's the cost of the new gas tank when our ethanol laced fuel ruins the stock one...

·
Premium Member
869 Posts
Yea yea, but they're happy man, and what can be more important than that (besides getting your Canadian Ducati sorted in America).

Pointing the finger at others when you have the LARGEST external dept in the world is just not on, and neither is linking CNBC fake news as any source of credibility.

Jeez, how hard can it be to just stamp the Canadians shit, take his money, and send him away a happy customer. Maybe he should've just crossed from the southern border. :wink2:

·
Premium Member
591 Posts
This is not a secret. None of the VW-Audi companies will do this after diesel gate and it's known to anyone who takes the time to make a few calls ahead of time.

A couple of years ago, I started the process of buying a special VW Corrado from Canada that was actually owned by a VW Canada executive. Before I purchased it, I did the research of figuring out how to legally bring it to the US. Of course it was a no go: no letter of conformity from VW. I didn't get the whole story as to why but it was indeed related to the EPA issues from the whole scandal. Needless to say, I didn't go through with the purchase and that's why I did all that research before I bought it and not after.

Again, this is a super easily researched and well known issue and I'm not sure why the blame would be on Ducati. There are lot's of possible solutions to this but wringing one's hands over Ducati's "cowardice" and "imagined concerns" over EPA regulations is just way off base. There is nothing "imagined" about a $2.8 BILLION fine from the EPA.

I don't have any issues with someone's making a mistake and not checking the import requirements ahead of time (although I am curious how it even got across the border) but I do take exception with blaming someone else (Ducati in this case) for something that was not their mistake.

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
Mike = "I know of no American employer that offers any more than three weeks paid vacation."

Except the entire U.S Military (one month paid leave per year in addition to sick leave and maternity leave). Leave is accrued 2.5 days per month.

:laugh::laugh:

... I'm just poking fun ...

·
Premium Member
591 Posts
Oregon used to be one of the states that allow you to register a bike with a PO Box, don't know how relaxed they still are.
Unfortunately, you still wouldn't be able to register a vehicle without a valid title from another state. A US state's DMV registration doesn't work without a properly imported vehicle as federal guidelines still have to be met.

·
Premium Member
4,696 Posts
Unfortunately, you still wouldn't be able to register a vehicle without a valid title from another state. A US state's DMV registration doesn't work without a properly imported vehicle as federal guidelines still have to be met.
In VT you can get plates for your Grandma with a bill of sale written on a napkin, providing she has some kind of serial number...

·
Premium Member
591 Posts
In VT you can get plates for your Grandma with a bill of sale written on a napkin, providing she has some kind of serial number...
Ah shit. That reminds me that I have to renew the registration on my Grandma...

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Mike = "I know of no American employer that offers any more than three weeks paid vacation."

Except the entire U.S Military (one month paid leave per year in addition to sick leave and maternity leave). Leave is accrued 2.5 days per month.

:laugh::laugh:

... I'm just poking fun ...
I didn't watch the video but Mike needs to get out more. I'm up to five weeks per year, plus the time between Christmas and new year's. It's not at all uncommon in the auto industry, which is something I thought he'd know a bit about. Some of the guys I work with get six weeks, but that's not a permanent thing, it goes away at some point.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Come on folks. Without doubt Ducati knows whether the bike meets California requirements. I've been told many times that all bikes imported into North America are the same spec. (at least when it comes to emissions). Yes, I don't have documented proof, only years of cross border dealings. I've imported bikes from the U.S. into Canada but not the other way...

I imported an ST4S and 999 into Canada because they in those days were 30% less expensive in the States. Over the years the exchange rates have fluctuated significantly and Ducati pricing hasn't always kept pace. At times the bikes sold in Canada are less expensive than in the U.S.

Back in the good old days (I'm talking 2005 now) Ducati was happy (sort of) to provide a letter of compliance to anyone who asked for one - that's when I imported. It became (relatively) common practice for folks to import bikes into Canada. Guess what - the Canadian dealers weren't so happy this was happening - and who could blame them. Around 2007 Ducati started charging for the letter, first $500, then $1,000, I think it even got more expensive than that. I had heard Ducati had taken to refusing to supply a letter at all. That's now confirmed.

I've bought a couple relatively low volume cars that are a bargain in Canada in comparison to the rest of the world (with the possible exception of the U.S.). Each time the dealer requested I sign a letter stating I would not sell the car out of country for at least a year. Each time I refused, but that is a whole other story...

Buying cars ( and motorcycles) in one country and selling in another at a profit is not new - and the manufacturers are doing what they can to stop it.

How does this affect the OP? Ducati isn't going to evaluate the merit of each case. A blanket policy is much easier to manage.

VW was fined billions of dollars because they knowingly circumvented emission laws around the world in order to sell more desirable cars. What we are talking about here isn't in the same galaxy, let alone planet.

In Canada BMW won't sell trailer hitches for non-SUV models. BMW brand hitches are commonly sold in Europe for non-SUVs. BMW claims it's because of government regulations. Not correct. Either they want to try and sell more SUVs or they are afraid of litigation. In North America there is a much greater chance of some doofus towing a 30' trailer behind a 335i, getting into an accident and lawyering up - as compared to Europe. The point being, the parts person looked in the eye and say 'We are not allowed to sell that hitch because of government regulations...' and that was 100% false.

Should the OP have researched how to import his bike into the states? Absolutely.

Is it coward on Ducati's part to not supply the letter? Nope.

Does Ducati know - without a shadow of a doubt - whether the bike meets all California criteria? You bet they do.

RobertVP

·
Registered
102 Posts
Ducati knowing that Canadian and USA bikes are the "same" is one thing, but having the documentation in an official capacity to suit BOTH governments is totally different.

·
Registered
6,113 Posts
No one is “ blaming “ Ducati for this mess, but they could have helped . My observation is that this is just one more incident that shows Ducati does not give a shit about you after you buy their product. Ducati is not alone on this, though. I don’t mean to imply some other company would have reacted differently. I don’t put this in the same category as the cracked frames or expanding fuel tanks. All in all, it’s just another brick in the wall.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
i recall the australian warranty guy telling us in the mid 90's that the italians told him the frame cracking issue was uniquely australian, and didn't happen anywhere else in the world - must have been our rough roads. they even said the same thing about the carb icing issues, which made me think they were just bullshitting. some time later i was looking at a 93 model year 900ss parts fiche and the heater kit is on it as an option.

all that shit stopped with the internet.

the import thing is different. out here, you need to have all the paperwork done before the bike hits the country. even for a never to be registered track bike. if you don't, there are two options - return or crush. and they're fully aware of what a motorcycle disassembled into parts looks like when people try to pull that shit - they'll crush all those bits quite happily too. i don't know if the importers are still able to do it as such - a engineer licensed to do the job has to sign off on any imported vehicle to get a compliance plate. no compliance plate means no rego.

age is an issue too - out here pre 89 is much, much easier. although they've gone nuts on asbestos in imported vehicles recently. caused a lot of agro.

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
California

I bought a brand new 1200 S Stripe from a Dealer In Fl, Cali DMV registered it on the spot because yes Ducati does not make a 49 State Bike and a Calif bike, the new ones are all the same in the USA, now I have a brand new 1200 R from NY and the DMV wants me to go to CHP and get a VIN verification seems that was suppose to happen with my S STRIPE, but they gave me a plate without a VIN verification right on the spot . CHP is fucked they are a couple of months out, so Ill ride the bike with the temp plate and the paid reg receipt until I can get an appointment . If you get the bike in pass the FEds AZ would be the place to get it registered, yes it would be impossible to register it in CA with a Canadian title. Would it be easier just to have a fake official Ducati letter, ??? With all the computer technology couldnt you forge one ? And for that matter, why not just forge a title to match both the motor ID and the VIN ? The reason I bought out of state was so I did not have to pay Californias insane fees, I told the DMV that I paid 2500 for each bike , those cunts dont know a Ducati from their assholes , but they are sticklers when It comes to other makes, you cant register a new bike say from Kawi unless it has 7500 miles on it . I hope this works out for you . You can always buy another bike in the USA, and just swap the plates lol I dont think the cops would know the difference, as long as you show them your insurance and the registration . I have done this a few times when I was younger and did not give a shit, cops never ever check the VIN, unless it comes up stolen.You just have to be smart enough to outsmart them, there are always cracks in the system same as all the fucking wetbacks invading our country. You can always hire a lawyer, they may be able to work something out in your favor. Seems like an awful lot of aggravation for a letter you can forge yourself.The people at customs and DMV are certainly not the smartest .

·
Premium Member
1,124 Posts
This will sound rebel but, hey I AM A REDNECK.................

Bike fully insured?

MOLOTOV COCKTAIL in a deserted area and subsequent call to police stating bikes been stolen....................

And now, your in the market for whatever your lil heart desires.

Desperate times sometimes require a good redneck solution.

DEWEY, CHEETHAM AND HOWE! Attorney's at Law. "We're here to help"

·
Come in Spinner :)
7,547 Posts
I've a riding mate with 4 Ducati's and just the one number plate with velcro on the back.

·
Registered
3,826 Posts
Certain states will do out -of -state registration for non-residents, all you need is some paperwork and few $$...
Dimitry is correct, and living proof, as witnessed by the amount of GREEN plates on his vehicles!

https://dmv.vermont.gov/faq#t48n1851

https://dmv.vermont.gov/tax-title/vehicle-identification-number-vin

I believe you pay sales tax (on NADA book value), registration, and since yours is a 2009, you'd need to add the title fee.

There are down-loadable forms to fill out. They are editable .pdf forms. Not sure about the application for registration. When I went there last year, this was a carbon-copy type form. Maybe they can mail you 1 or 2? Call them and ask.

Oh, and just stay out of VT, unless you do show up there to have the bike inspected.

21 - 40 of 43 Posts