Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gauging interest. I've spoken with the owner of Ducati San Antonio and am contemplating getting it up and running. It'd be great to have it together in order to ride up to Circuit of The Americas for MotoGP in 2013! Reply here or PM me.

Cheers!

·
Registered
361 Posts
Gauging interest. I've spoken with the owner of Ducati San Antonio and am contemplating getting it up and running. It'd be great to have it together in order to ride up to Circuit of The Americas for MotoGP in 2013! Reply here or PM me.

Cheers!
The Motorcycle club scene here in the Austin/SA area absolutely S U C K S.

If you're not into the DA thing, there just isn't much else out there.

Im interested as long it doesn't go that route...

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The Motorcycle club scene here in the Austin/SA area absolutely S U C K S.

If you're not into the DA thing, there just isn't much else out there.

Im interested as long it doesn't go that route...
"DA thing"... you mean Ducati Austin? And what do you mean doesn't go that route? Shoot me an email! Velocidave, would love your input especially if you're interested. Even cooler that you're in Austin. :)

Will pm ya my email add

·
Registered
674 Posts
I wish we had a more active ducati club in dallas, but I would be tempted to come down for some fun events

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I wish we had a more active ducati club in dallas, but I would be tempted to come down for some fun events
Good to hear! Will post here again in near future to keep people updated. PM'g me email add to those whom are interested in helping in some way to get it going or just have some good ideas! :)

·
Registered
128 Posts
I would be interested. I'm houston, but frequest SA alot because of family. Plus there are two duc groups here in Houston, one I don't really know, and the other I have mixed feelings about. Difference of opinions maybe.

·
Registered
361 Posts
I want to qualify my previous statements, in particular regarding DA. I've dealt with the local Ducati club, the ADOG, and they are some solid people, the economy is doing no one any favors, right now, and I know they are busy with their day jobs, as are we all. I think they've done some good stuff trying to set up some rides, and events, the turn outs usually kinda suck, but thats certainly not the fault of Vito.

My thoughts are more specific to DA, and its clientele, which seems to be the basis for the Austin Ducati scene. There are some great guys there, and Ive spent some absurd money there over the years, but now Im scaled back, and I just keep my 996.

I do not care for the demographic they seem to be catering to, and the feel of the crew that handles that part of the gig.

We all know there are buyers out there who own a ducati because of an article in Robb Report, and unfortunately, thats (at least to me) who they are catering to. The guy who can pick himself up a new Duke or two every few years, with no eye toward longevity. Instead of developing the Ducati culture, they are working pretty hard at developing a Ducati BUYER base. I get it, we all have to make money, but its not my thing.

Back in the days when Jeff was the sales guy, it was common to see a slew of exotic bikes in there on a saturday afternoon, a bunch of guys telling lies, and having a good time at the shop. I've been going there since they had a little space in the back of the Harley dealer. Jay, the less than honest fellow who took over after them, and moved it down to 2nd/colorado, well, whatever. I dealt with him a few times, and it was always a positive relationship. Though I think i wore the wrong brand of underwear to really fit in there...

SO now, I go in there, and EVERY single time I go in, Warren asks me if I have a bike Im riding now, and am I familiar with Ducati? Not that I want to be famous in the local shop, but I have in the last 10 years had 6 Ducati super bikes, all of which were serviced at least partially there (or at AF1) and I have easily 6500.00 in parts and accessories on my plain jane old 996BiP, of which every nickel went into DAs register.

I went on a few rides, leaving from the shop, pretty good, riding a solid pace, mostly stock bikes with the latest in DP haute couture, which I don't begrudge, its nice stuff, but all in all, it felt like a suburban harley thing.

I still call up the mechanics there for their input, and I talk to the parts guys all the time, good fellas,the new guy in the back is really entertaining, but let me relate a story of a recent attempt to get spark plugs.

I called, "hey man, need plugs for my 996, kinda want to try the NGK iridiums" he says "well, ducati doesn't think you should run those NGKs, you should stick with the OEM champions" I said " yeah I know, but I built my bike from the ground up, Im pretty intimate with her, I want the NGKs" he says "well, we don't have em, I have the special racing plug from Ducati, the champion" I said " no can you order me the NGKs?" so the guys says hold on, and a guy that works up front, grey/white hair gets on the phone and says "Sir, you don't want those NGK plugs in your bike, they are japanese, and your bike is a precision made Italian machine, you don't want to use substandard parts in it..." so while being more shocked at WHO was telling me this than what he was telling, I said "ok, I see where this is going, how much are the champions?" "37.00" he replies, after a suitably dramatic pause he says "each".

I said "seriously man, y'all know I built this bike myself, SPS cams, blueprinted, new valves, etc...is that really a sales method you think is the best way to get me to spend 74.00 on your 8.00 plugs?"

BLUF I didn't get them, I bought NGKs from "another dealer" and she runs phenomenally well with them.

So this has been a recurring trend with DA, and it bothers me. Were not all neophytes wanting the latest Race Bred machinery, I want a shop that understands there was a Ducati BEFORE Rossi, and when I go to the shop, I'd like to see an 888, or a 900SS, or and old school Pantah. Ive had a 1098, it didn't make me smile anywhere near as much as my 996. You really can unbolt a few screws and fasteners and get to the sexy bits under the plastic, but you won't get any attention in there if you do it yourself. "buy a part, let us install it for you, oh and lets do your 12k service too, it'll be 1700.00 on bike thats worth 4200.00 ....

So when I say I don't want to be a member of a group thats going "the DA" way, thats what I mean. If were all gonna get together and do Ducati things, rather than things designed to sell me a new bike every week, then Im down. In fact, more than down. I'll be there, and I'll bring some folks.

I'd love to see some tech events, everything from simple this is how to properly clean your bike, or connect your trickle charger, to this is th Desmodromic valve system, this is how you check valve clearances.

I'd love to see a shim bank established. maybe some tools and books for lend from the club library....eventually maybe some cooperative shop space.

T shirts, (in kids sizes too, most of us who can afford this Italian stuff are far enough along to have offspring), hats, maybe a few other things.

AF1 is opening a shop on the east side, if you've never been there, never met micah, or steve or ed, you just don't know how good it can be.

Just my thoughts, since someone asked, and I am really stoked at the idea of a good group working together up here, we could do some great stuff.

·
Registered
7 Posts
wow! articulated so well!

Hey Velocidave. I'm kind of eavesdropping a bit. I'm a California Ducatisti visiting the Corpus Christi suburb of Portland. I'm in town because I have family here and my sister is getting married this Saturday. I had been poking around a bit to see what the culture was like down here. I am representing the MotoMfg product line of tools to the public and to dealers. I sent a shout out to see if there were any of us in Texas and didn't get even a few responses. Then I found the regional areas for posts which in turn led me to this thread and your post.

I appreciate the way that you have articulated your statements. I think that there is a whole underground, if you will, of Ducati owners who wrench on their own machines. We want to know how it works because we want it to run it's best. Afterall, our safety depends on bolts being torqued, fluids being fresh, etc. If we never pay attention to these things then how is it that we even know when to take it to a dealer? Oh yeah, there's that maintenance schedule. Well, not all bikes, environments, and riders are the same. It's better to know why the scheduled items are on the schedule and pay attention to them. It's better to know what the oil smells like when it's new as opposed to old so that one knows when it's gotten old.

Many of us in that underground I liken to the core Harley Davidson group in that we know our machines intimately and won't be told by a mere salesman (especially one that doesn't wrench his own machine) how and when it should be serviced or with what oil. We baby our machines because we are proud owners. We're fascinated by them and respect them. We know better than to put Valvoline crude into them but we also don't want to be told that there's only one brand of synthetic to use and we should buy it from the dealer who imports it from France at an inflated markup.

The other crowd is the weekend warrior. Do I need to explain that one? I think that we get it.

The dealer nearest to me is one that I frequent all of the time. I have specific people that I will deal with when I go in because I don't want them to try to sell me what I don't want. The guys that I talk to never put pressure on me and will talk to me like a rider and not a payday. That's what I want! Anyway, when I took this opportunity to represent the MotoMfg product line of tools and accessories I went to my regular salesman and introduced the product line. His response I think defines the dealer take.
He said to me that the dealership didn't want to carry tools because most of their clientele was unqualified to work on their own machines. He told me that when they do work on their own machines they end up way over their heads and end up bringing a box full of parts back to them with a bike on the flatbed. I believed him when he told me that story. We've all been over our heads on some things. Some more frequently than others. The reality is that the people that buy into the Ducati experience lean on the dealer most and when things go wrong they flee back to the dealer, tail hung in defeat. The rest of us seek like minded people. We're on the forums and making calls and sending emails to find the answer. We don't define the face of the Ducati owner as far as the dealer knows because they are not impacted by our presence.

For my role as a professional I'm fighting that image so that dealers see the value of stocking the MotoMFG tools. As a rider I don't mind it so long as I can find information elsewhere and be treated fairly when I enter the dealer showroom.

·
Registered
25 Posts
@dave - yes i know this thread is a few months old - but thanks for cluing me in on the DA scene...

I recently relocated to SA and reluctantly left my ducs in another zipcode. I had planned on shipping some of my bikes to Texas and have been enthusiastically looking for a worthy duc shop to help me work out the kinks in my 'vintage' carby SS... because when she's dialed in she makes me smile so much more than the new breed!

now I'm not so sure

but hey... I hear you have a respectable bicycle community here in TX

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
@dave - yes i know this thread is a few months old - but thanks for cluing me in on the DA scene...

I recently relocated to SA and reluctantly left my ducs in another zipcode. I had planned on shipping some of my bikes to Texas and have been enthusiastically looking for a worthy duc shop to help me work out the kinks in my 'vintage' carby SS... because when she's dialed in she makes me smile so much more than the new breed!

now I'm not so sure

but hey... I hear you have a respectable bicycle community here in TX
Kevin, go talk to Ben Brace at Ducati San Antonio. We also got the South Texas Desmo Gruppo started up back in January and have monthly meetings and rides. We've a ride planned for this Saturday 4/14 as well. I'm pm'g you my email address.

·
Registered
25 Posts
to all the lurkers - i received some very positive PMs on the local duc scene here in TX... wait a minute... this place is so freakin huge... theres no such thing as local here!

·
Registered
361 Posts
to all the lurkers - i received some very positive PMs on the local duc scene here in TX... wait a minute... this place is so freakin huge... theres no such thing as local here!
Im in the Army too, Ill PM you. We might have some good stuff going here soon...

·
Registered
115 Posts
Hello all! I know this thread is old but I just joined here and just picked up a 2014 MTS1200SGT today. Was wondering if a Ducati club in San Antonio ever made it off the ground? I'd love to meet some more people to ride with. I didn't get to ride the bike home today because I didn't have anyone with me to bring my truck back, but hopefully tomorrow. Anyway, drop me a line if something is going strong of if there's still the possibility of getting something going.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hey there Delbuort, yes it did. Search on Facebook South Texas Desmo Gruppo
If you need help picking up your bike etc. perhaps I can help. Shoot me a PM. I pretty much never check these forums! :D

-Chris

·
Registered
115 Posts
That's awesome! I'll look it up.

Thanks for the offer of help with the bike. Hopefully I'll be able to pick it up tomorrow sometime. I've got a coworker that might be able to run me up there. My wife just had a minor surgery and is drugged up quite well right now...so, no driving for her for a few days. But, I'll definitely hit you up if it all falls through for me. I can't wait to get it to the house.

If you ever wanna meet up and go for a ride, hit me up.

Jason

1 - 17 of 17 Posts