Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
763 Posts
is electric...

Range per charge is big factor, and time of recharge on the road, out of the garage, is huge.

Fred H.

Reactions: PhilBoncer

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
When they can store enough energy to be genuinely useful and versatile, I'll be happy to consider one. Until then ...

I often have a commute of 50 miles or more each way, most electric bikes can't even make one day's round trip without needing to recharge, and that assumes I'm not going anywhere else.

I need, a few times a year, to go 1000 miles or more in a weekend to get to a new job; an electric bike (or even an electric car) is simply not reliably capable of that.

Not to mention taking a day ride for fun of 400 miles, or going touring/traveling by bike.

Call me when they find something better than batteries.

PhilB

Reactions: ducvet

·
Registered
315 Posts
Adding Electric risks cannibalizing sales.
Ducati have no dirt bike.
Dirt Bikes need less range.

Just saying.

·
Retired Pipe Polisher C2H6O+
19,081 Posts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
315 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Depends on the Strikes weight but it may end up being a nice track day choice. I am tempted enough by the specs for a test ride.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,237 Posts

That Lightning in the last link is the fastest production motorcycle in the world.

But it sounds like a freaking jet. Whine!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I want Thunder!

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
These guys have been around a few years.
It seems the only down side is the range.
They are working on betteries to replace those old tech batteries.
You can't stop the future from getting here. >:)

https://www.zeromotorcycles.com/advantages/
The range IS the key. In the early days of cars, electrics, steam, and gas all competed. Gas won out, exactly on being ready to go as and when and as far as was needed -- not having limited range and slow recharge as electrics, or slow warmup as steam cars.

We've known how to make an electric car, for more than a century, that is as good or better than an ICE car in *every way*, except that it has a 1500-lb gas tank that holds 2 gallons of gas, and has to be refueled with a capillary. Through diligent application of technology, Tesla has managed to improve that to a 750-lb gas tank that holds *4* gallons of gas, and can be refueled with an eyedropper. Woohoo!

Batteries are still an order of magnitude short of being as good as fuel for storing energy, and they can't even *theoretically* become good enough. For that matter, even in a regular ICE car or motorcycle, what are the most common failure modes? Batteries and tires. What's the most common failure mode for your cellphone? Battery. Your laptop? Battery. Your watch? Battery. It's an inadequate technology.

I'm very much in favor of the future getting here. For electric vehicles, that future (if it's to work better than the present) needs to include a different technology for storing electricity than batteries. One that's practical, reliable, has a respectable energy density, and a reasonable strategy for refueling/recharging/re-whatever-ing.

PhilB

·
Registered
230 Posts
And yet long-term reliability tests of the battery packs in Toyota Priuses says otherwise, and confirm it’s a viable technology that can last well over a decade, when not part of a consumer device. And EV battery packs can be repurposed for backup power applications and nearly fully recycled after that.

You’re not familiar with batteries much are you? You also don’t fully discharge and charge your EV every day, like you do with your phone. Cycle-ability means more than time. And you aren’t burning fuel, changing oil, rebuilding transmissions or top ends either.

250 miles of range and recharging in under 10 minutes is going to be reality within a few years. Not as far off as you think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,112 Posts
250 miles of range and recharging in under 10 minutes is going to be reality within a few years. Not as far off as you think.
I've been hearing this about bikes for 10 years.

I think we'll be able to be teleported somewhere by the time we see that! :grin2:

Reactions: ncgt1000

·
Registered
230 Posts
Good thing this isn’t speculation... it’s what DOE had dumped hundreds of millions of dollars into. The next Bolt EV will have 250 miles of total range and recharge 180 miles in 10 mins. Due out within 2-years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 52 Posts