Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We've been watching the TT at the station and the guys are giving me a hard time because you never see a Ducati racing at the Isle of Mann. Why is it just the Japanese bikes?

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
i just think it comes to reliability at high speeds over long lengths of time... you have to figure that they are out there for a week... averaging between 120 tp 130 miles an hour... and the senior race is 200 miles... not counting all of the practice through the whole week... i think the japanese motors have always stood up to the test better...

you don't see too many Duc's in the 8 hour races that often either... in the '90's it was a lot of Honda at the TT... RC 30's then the RC 45's... i think Ducati got close once in the mid '90's with a second place... and the one i remember was in '03.... John McGuinness got secong on the 998... that's pretty much it i think... the big four from Japan dominate the TT... been that way for a while... i've been watching that one since '86.... good stuff on the Isle...

·
Bon Vivant
11,439 Posts
i just think it comes to reliability at high speeds over long lengths of time... you have to figure that they are out there for a week... averaging between 120 tp 130 miles an hour... and the senior race is 200 miles... not counting all of the practice through the whole week... i think the japanese motors have always stood up to the test better...

you don't see too many Duc's in the 8 hour races that often either... in the '90's it was a lot of Honda at the TT... RC 30's then the RC 45's... i think Ducati got close once in the mid '90's with a second place... and the one i remember was in '03.... John McGuinness got secong on the 998... that's pretty much it i think... the big four from Japan dominate the TT... been that way for a while... i've been watching that one since '86.... good stuff on the Isle...
Sorry this is just BS. Ducs will hold up just fine as is proved in the WSBK and MotoGP.
And if you don't think those are much of a test just look at MV when FBF tried to give them a go...
The reason is purely financial, the TT has thus far not given Ducati the payback it needs to sponsor a team.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
it may be B.S... and i may be completely off of the mark... but i've never seen a Duc do that well in a long race... TT's... 8 hours... 24 hours... endurance...

and another thing... i'm not counting the old days before Japan got the hang of things... i'm just considering the last 20 years or so... of course i'm well aware of the golden days with Mike and his bike...

personally i was pulling for John in the '03 tt... and he was so close... it may be about money... but i think Ducati would have the money to tackle those races if they wanted. who knows... i don't know all of the back stories... i just know that i've watched those TT's for years... Dunlop's Island in my book... that and the North west 200.... those races are nuts... crazy guys bouncing off of brick walls...

That's two things i look forward to in the future... a Ducati winning the Senior TT... and Rossi winning a GP on a Ducati....

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
holy crap... Dave you are a connected man.... nice post...
any international activity that you know about?....
how about in Europe...
i'm curious... did they use a wet clutch or dry clutch on that 848?... figured you may know...

·
Registered
50 Posts
Sorry this is just BS. Ducs will hold up just fine as is proved in the WSBK and MotoGP.
And if you don't think those are much of a test just look at MV when FBF tried to give them a go...
The reason is purely financial, the TT has thus far not given Ducati the payback it needs to sponsor a team.
+1, I believe it's all about the numbers, much cheaper to run the Jap bikes than the Ducs and have more support as well, all about numbers.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Remind your friends who Mike the Bike was.

·
Registered
93 Posts

http://www.ducati.com/od/ducatinorth...2?newsId=30902

I would guess that put that to rest

Anything to add? Oh wait there is nothing LOL FAIL.....

·
Registered
224 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
it's called ROI.
Ducati's pockets are not as deep as some other companies, so they are more cautious and deliberate in their investments.
WSBK and MotoGP provide a lot of exposure for their brand.
While the Isle of Mann TT is phenomenal and many people attend and watch, it does not quite compare to WSBK and MotoGP exposure.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
ok... yum yummy some crow... so perhaps it is about money. and perhaps i was wrong in thinking it was about the bike and it's reliability issues... i guess i just assumed that Ducati would have the money these days to put a package together and go win the Senior Race at the Isle...

too bad... i still think the IOM tt is the shit when it comes to the most difficult race to compete in... i mean it's crazy.. those speeds in those conditions.... and to think that the senior race is six laps... i can't imagine riding at that pace for almost 2 hours... good god... i have to make it over there one of these days..

i have some old VHS tapes with on bike footage laps... one of them was on one of the side-cars.. the passenger on those things must me mental... completely off ... the way he has to hang off to ballance the bike... just nuts...

·
9,757 Posts
Single event endurance races like the IOM TT don't exactly pull in a lot of sponsorship money, and I don't think Ducati moves a finger unless it has big sponsorship bucks. Case in point: Ducati's motogp team doesn't spend a dime of Ducati's money, it's all sponsorship $$$.

The typical TT sponsor is usually a relatively small British company, like HM Plant for example (a heavy machinery dealership). I don't think they want to foot the bill for an all out factory team, and Ducati probably doesn't think they'll get a return on their investment if they drop their own cash on a factory team (or even in support of a customer team).

This is all speculation, but if someone from Bologna were to tell me its all about the money I wouldn't second guess the information.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts