Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
DUCATI ANNOUNCES PRICING FOR 2010 MULTISTRADA 1200

Cupertino, Calif. (17 November 2009) – Ducati North America announced today pricing for the new 2010 Multistrada 1200, which will begin at $14,995.

Recently unveiled at the EICMA Milan Motorcycle Show, the Ducati Multistrada 1200 is already being hailed as a “game changer.”The internet is buzzing with the first official photos and specifications for this exciting new model, and four days after the launch it was officially voted “Most Beautiful Bike in Show” by more than 20,000 show attendees.

The Multistrada 1200 will be priced at $14,995, an extremely aggressive figure for the bike’s unprecedented technology and class-leading features. The Multistrada 1200 has 150hp, 87.5lb/ft of torque, a phenomenally light weight of 417lbs, ride by wire throttle control, keyless ignition, on and off road capability, 50mm Marzocchi forks and much more. In addition, there will be three option packages available to suit the rider’s taste.

The revolutionary Bosch-Brembo ABS system will be available for the Multistrada 1200; a first for Ducati which will reinforce the brand’s reputation for world-class stopping power. The ABS system is one of the three available option packages for the bike, and will carry an MSRP of $16,495.

The second option package for the Multistrada 1200 is the “S Sport” package. This package will include the Bosch-Brembo ABS system; as well as Ducati Traction Control, and the Ducati-Ohlins Electronic Suspension system. The “Sport” version of the “S” moniker comes from the inclusion of carbon fiber air intakes, cam belt covers, rear hugger and lateral air extractors. MSRP for the bike with the “S Sport” package is $19,995.

For the touring fan, the Multistrada is also available with the “S Touring” package. The “S Touring” model is identical to the “S Sport” package, except instead of the additional carbon fiber accessories this model includes side luggage, a center stand and heated grips. The “S Touring” package also carries an MSRP of $19,995.

Delivery of the Multistrada 1200 will begin in spring 2010. For more information on this new model, and the rest of the 2010 Ducati range, please visit www.ducatiusa.com.

·
Premium Member
1,861 Posts
Bummer us here in Eastern Europe have to pay that same amount...in Euro's.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Traction control on the base model?

I may be daft but there's something I'm missing here. I can't seem to find a clean answer to it on the Ducati MS 1200 website.

Does the base model, without ABS, have traction control? Most systems of which I'm aware use the ABS system to implement the traction control. If the base model does have traction control, then why does it cost $1500 to add ABS? If the base model doesn't have traction control, does the addition of ABS now include it? No place I've looked mentions it. Or I'm not reading closley enough.

Aside from all that, who here is bothered by a 7500 mile valve interval on a erstwhile touring bike? I've put 7500 miles on a bike and then some on multi-week trips. The new MS seems like the do it all bike, except if i have to stop twice during a trip to find a dealer to do the valves. I know some of you have that level of ride experience with Ducatis so I'm interested in thoughts.

·
Registered
299 Posts
I may be daft but there's something I'm missing here. I can't seem to find a clean answer to it on the Ducati MS 1200 website.

Does the base model, without ABS, have traction control? Most systems of which I'm aware use the ABS system to implement the traction control. If the base model does have traction control, then why does it cost $1500 to add ABS? If the base model doesn't have traction control, does the addition of ABS now include it? No place I've looked mentions it. Or I'm not reading closley enough.

Aside from all that, who here is bothered by a 7500 mile valve interval on a erstwhile touring bike? I've put 7500 miles on a bike and then some on multi-week trips. The new MS seems like the do it all bike, except if i have to stop twice during a trip to find a dealer to do the valves. I know some of you have that level of ride experience with Ducatis so I'm interested in thoughts.
My understanding is that you have to have ABS to have traction control. They both work off of the ABS sensor system.

I have the exact same concerns as you regarding the valve service intervals. I too have done some pretty epic multi week trips in my day, and may do so again. I've never owned a Duc, but I'm negotiating a price on one today with a Denver dealership.

Good luck,

John

·
Beta Tester
1,957 Posts
now i'm confused! i think the base model has TC. the four modes; sport, tour, urban, enduro are available on the base model, and each uses a different level of TC. i could be wrong:think:

·
Registered
299 Posts
now i'm confused! i think the base model has TC. the four modes; sport, tour, urban, enduro are available on the base model, and each uses a different level of TC. i could be wrong:think:
After looking at the specs, I believe that you're right. The DTC system must not be part of the ABS system after all. It appears that all of the MTS's come with traction control as standard equipment.

·
MultiModerator
1,419 Posts
The "S Sport" and "S Touring" come standard with ABS, DTC (Ducati Traction Control), Ducati-Ohlins Electronic Suspension system and ride by wire throttle control which is the "4modes; sport, tour, urban, enduro".

The base model has the ride by wire throttle control, "4 modes; sport, tour, urban, enduro", this is not DTC. The "4 modes" are different engine maps for power delivery and output. ABS is an option on the base.

·
Beta Tester
1,957 Posts
The base model has the ride by wire throttle control, "4 modes; sport, tour, urban, enduro", this is not DTC. The "4 modes" are different engine maps for power delivery and output.
my point was;

each "mode" uses a different engine map, true. also, each mode uses a different level of DTC.

for instance, "enduro" mode uses no DTC so you can spin the rear tire in the dirt. "urban" mode uses a high level of DTC to keep you from busting your butt on city streets.

·
MultiModerator
1,419 Posts
my point was;

each "mode" uses a different engine map, true. also, each mode uses a different level of DTC.

for instance, "enduro" mode uses no DTC so you can spin the rear tire in the dirt. "urban" mode uses a high level of DTC to keep you from busting your butt on city streets.
I don't think that is the case with the "4 modes" it's only controlling engine maps, power output and delivery and not DTC. I could be all wrong since Ducati hasn't release the complete specs. Similar to what Aprilia has on the Shiver ride by wire.

The word "standard" was a poor choice of words on my part. Talking with the Ducati rep and brochure that Ducati had at the Cycle World IMS in Dallas only the Multistrada 1200S Sport Edition and Touring Edition have DTC. No DTC on the "Multistrada 1200" base.

·
Beta Tester
1,957 Posts
I don't think that is the case with the "4 modes" it's only controlling engine maps, power output and delivery and not DTC.
yeah- what little info is out does not clearly indicate wheather the base model has DTC or not. unfortunately, i have SIX MONTHS to figure it out:(

·
Registered
297 Posts
anyone have info on pricing for indvidual accessories like bags, carbon fiber stuff, etc.

·
Registered
297 Posts
I second that question! :)
Id like the touring edition and also want all the carbon bits so id be nice to know what the cheapest way is to achieve a touring model with all the carbon, buy the touring and add the carbon bits, or buy the sport and add the bags and maybe the heated grips. Dont know if I really need a center stand.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Id like the touring edition and also want all the carbon bits so id be nice to know what the cheapest way is to achieve a touring model with all the carbon, buy the touring and add the carbon bits, or buy the sport and add the bags and maybe the heated grips. Dont know if I really need a center stand.
My thoughts exactly, since I'm planning to do the same thing you're talking about doing.

It's kind of odd that nobody knows anything about the costs of these items since the prices of the bikes and the stated delivery dates have been released. I guess I'll just never understand corporate thinking. :confused:

It's the same with BMW. They release lots of hyped-up info on the 2010's, but none of their dealers have a clue about price, availability, updated systems or much of anything else. They just say that they'll be available "in the spring".

Even if I HAD still been interested in a new GS - I lost interest completely after reading literally hundreds of web pages about reliability, durability and service issues with these supposedly "unstoppable" bikes - I think that I would have been attracted away by the new MTS's.

·
MultiModerator
1,419 Posts
here on the website. DTC is standard equipment on all models.
http://www.ducati.com/bikes/multistrada/1200/tech_spec.do

I stand corrected, Thanks!

"Within milliseconds, the Ducati Traction Control (DTC) is able to detect and then control rear wheel-spin, considerable increasing the bike's safety and performance. The system offers eight "levels of sensitivity". DTC is an integral part of the pre-programmed Riding Modes on the Multistrada 1200; however, its setting can be customised by the user."

1 - 19 of 19 Posts