Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
if you go to the ducati transparent service section of the website and select a model you'll see everything they give a schedule for is now 60 months for belt replacement. i checked 848, m696 and scrambler 800.

·
Registered
291 Posts
My service tech says the belts on the new bikes are the same construction as belts on the old bikes. That being said my hyper 1100s belts will be 2 years old this fall. I plan on changing them.

·
Registered
'02 ST4S
1,401 Posts
Shit, I already have 7k on 'em from last tune! Ha!...don't you have a boot to stretch or sumpin'...

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
The old recommendation was 2 years or 12K. I went with 2 years for both Monsters, which was about 24K for my bike, and about 4K for my wife's bike. With these new guidelines, I'd probably stick to 2 years/24K for my bike, and let her bike go 5 years/10K.

PhilB

·
Registered
6,868 Posts
Obviously the difference between Ducati and many others is that the Ducati engine experiences valve / piston interference. I have broken cam belts in cars before, but they were non interference so the engine merely stopped until the belts were replaced.
I had the belts break in a Dodge just past the mileage recommendation.
One of the things I did at work was keep track of belt failures. It appeared to me that belts that saw regular use were less likely to fail than those used intermittently. Though you might assume being flexed in both directions ( tensioners) would be detrimental to belt life, data didn‘t prove this to be the case. Hot temperatures also weren’t a factor, but we did use chain drive in extreme conditions. I think it was a trade off, higher temps may have made the belt more pliable and less likely to crack . We rarely changed belts for PM, other than if an old belt was removed during some repair, it wasn’t reinstalled. These were simple drive belts, there was no damage caused by failure such as a component interference. Most belts in these conditions were run and adjusted for stretch until worn out . Most broken belts were worn out and should have been replaced sooner.
We used toothed belts on some machines where timing was necessary. Failure rate on toothed timing belts was extremely low If kept in adjustment.

·
Registered
867 Posts
I changed belts 4 times on my bike. Each time after 15k miles, which all happened within 3 years, with oem belts, same usage and storage by same rider.

When I did the jobs, 2 times the belts looked like new and 2 times like they were done, with one of these sets way worse than the other.

Stretching time and mileage intervals on these 4 sets could have led to much different results.

So I would say the belt batch, how much time it spent in warehouses, QC of the belts, have some impacts too.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts