Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

Peter and i decided 2 years ago not to go for old-timer Cars, but for Ducati race bikes

And know we have some bikes and they need a restoration;-))

The bikes are real race bikes with history and frame number and all the special parts

First question is do you like Patina or not...:nerd: What is you opinion with that??

The bikes were raced and some are in a very bad condition, cause some teams had not the budget to order original ducati corse parts after every crash

So Peter and i don't like Patina and we decided to bring in some new parts and restore the others

If you like, i could write some stories and technical details about the bikes here!?

On our web page we have a lot of infos but only in german at the moment...:crying:

Send info, if it s interesting and we should post something here

Ciao and thanks!
Markus

Attachments

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Choose a better user name, current will scare people. Just a tip.
Yeah, something more German would be nice ;)

I personally love Ducati racebikes and the 999F models are something I would love to own one day. Both the Fila livery from 2003 to 2004, but also the Xerox one from Bayliss era. Wouldn't mind Xaus Sterilgarda bike either, but the one I've seen fore sale was a bit too pricey for me at that moment :)

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thanks guys for your likes!!

Ok, lets start with some project info

The 999RS guandalini is one of the first 999RS Ducati sold to a private Team for the 2004 season

They delivered two bikes to the Guandalini Team and two bikes to the Monstermob Team UK. The Price for a 999RS was around 120TEUR without spares.

Here is a Team pic. The Bike i have, was the bike from Norino Brignola, right on the pic below! The Team ride in the italien Superbike CIV and some wild Cards in the WSBK.
You could see the details on our webpage
http://www.ducati-factory.com/deutsch/bike-history-999rs/history-guandalini-999rs-f05/

What is very interesting for the restoration is that the Team decided in 2006 to upgrade the 999RS with the Factory electronic and some other parts to a F05.
But after the season 2007, they removed all the factory stuff and sold the bike to a private guy as RS version....:frown2:

I did not know that it was used as Factory when i bought the bike.... More to that later:wink2:

Attachments

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes, i agree!

But in my opinion it depends a little bit! Some teams for example sell after the last race a lot of the good parts and replace it with waste parts.

Or in the fact of the guandalini bike, they removed the factory parts and add some bits of RS Parts.

So it s not so easy to find out the right way for a restoration. And it is very difficult to find such parts new.:nerd:

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
For the guandalini bike it was not so easy....

The bike was in an average condition when i bought it

- Frame ok, with original number and purchasing document from Ducati > upgraded to factory mounting points in 2006
- swing arm 2006 Factory, Shock 2005RS > upgraded from the team in 2006
- Fork 2005 Factory > upgraded from the Team in 2005
- Fairing not good
- RS Electronic > Downgrade after 2007 from the Factory electronic
- a lot of sensors missing

This was the spec they used in 2006
In 2007 the used this spec in addition with the factory electronic

So three opinions for restoration
- as it was sold from the Team without the factory electronic and stuff
- Back to the spec it was sold from Ducati in 2004
- Upgrade to the last technical Spec in 2007 with the full equipped factory F05 spec

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This week Peter and i had a half day to work on the guandalini.

We've got the wheels tested and painted new in blue and yellow. New bearings and new distances for the spindles where mounted

Everything fitted perfect and it s fun to see the bike on the wheels;-))

Attachments

·
Registered
237 Posts
Nothing wrong with a repaint, so long as it is accurate & true to the original... I do vintage race bikes all the time, at some point in its life that body was freshly painted, so whats the difference & who's to say they didn't give you a freshly painted set when you purchased the bike..... Patina is great, but it has its limits, for those that don't know what you have, they just see a POS...

Welcome to Finishing Touch / Full Tilt Kustom Motorcycles
www.Facebook.com/FinishingTouch.MC

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Hi Yorik, yes it is a lincoln;-)

Peters father has Opel branch and workshop! He has a lot of old-timers

As for the guandalini we decided to go with the last option

Restore the bike with the last technical spec. The Ducati 999F05!

The difference between the F05 and the F06 is not that much.

From F04 to F05 they changed a lot of major components
- electronic
- radiator
- injection
- fuel tank
- fork
From F05 to F06
- fork
- swingarm
- rear frame

So the base of the bike is F04, so i have to find the complete F05 spec parts..... But at this point of the project it was not transparent what this mean...:confused:
Cause we had to less expierience with it and there is no documentation about the F05/F06 spec. only the RS/F04

But at this time of the project we where very lucky cause, we met somebody who owns a F07, so we could check out how the factory bike was build and what parts we need! And we found a lot of these parts in italy in a well known shop:wink2:

So the project could start!

First step is to have somebody who could prepare the engine and there is a guy in Ingolstadt who is the best north of the alps;-)

and to refresh all the components. Here it was great that i have a good connection to ducati corse. So i could ask how they did the service and to order some parts. They are not well prepared in stock cause 80% of the parts are out, but some are in;-)

Attachments

·
Registered
245 Posts
Hi Yorik, yes it is a lincoln;-)

First step is to have somebody who could prepare the engine and there is a guy in Ingolstadt who is the best north of the alps;-)

and to refresh all the components. Here it was great that i have a good connection to ducati corse. So i could ask how they did the service and to order some parts. They are not well prepared in stock cause 80% of the parts are out, but some are in;-)
The guy in Ingolstadt has a lot of interesting bikes & parts as well as a long association with Ducati. He may be able to help out with other parts as well.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hi Weed! Thanks for your post! Yes and he is a very nice guy!;-)

About the difference between the 999F04 and F05 and F06, we have some info on our webpage in german

If something is interesting for you feel free to ask here, i will describe something also in the next posts

what is very helpful with great pics is this webpage

DucPower | Bilder WSBK - AMA - BSB - SSP

There are a lot of details where you could check out the different specs

And you could see for example that the F05 bikes are equipped with the aluminium tank, falcon dash etc.

By the way if someone needs a new water connector set including 749RS water connector needed for the Testastretta engine send me a pm

Attachments

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
At the weekend i had some time to work on the bikes:smile2:

It work very well with the wiring of the guandalini, everything fits together and all sensors are available
It is the F06 factory harness, this is great! I am a mechanical engineer and yes cnc parts are great! But this wiring is great too!:grin2:

Maybe it s not ready, but it was only a first try...

Attachments

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
But in the next step, i ve seen that the chain adjuster is not the right for the standard 999rs rear disc...., i have the one for the vented disc...:(

So if someone of you have 999rs chain adjuster for sale, send me a pm!!

And also a 999RS airbox in new condition is needed...;-)

This is the right chain adjuster, so feel free to mail me!

Attachments

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Pics Ducati show in Ingolstadt

Hi,

for the next few month we have some Ducati bikes in Ingolstadt.

Here are some pics...:nerd:

Attachments

1 - 20 of 38 Posts