Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

are there any good frame/wheel sliders out there and does anyone have any experience with them specifically with Ducati 999 since the bike has so much of the body covered in fairings?

Thanks

Cheers

·
Registered
33 Posts
They don't protect your fairings and they arnt designed too, please don't cut a whole in your fairings.

Under fairing slider work just as well for protecting the frame and other hard parts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They don't protect your fairings and they arnt designed too, please don't cut a whole in your fairings.

Under fairing slider work just as well for protecting the frame and other hard parts
cutting a fairing on these bikes is absolutely ridiculous so def not. Just wanted to look ahead possible low side since the fairings are hard to come by.

Thanks LG

·
Premium Member
1,513 Posts
If you have a near perfect set, it may help to preserve the value of your bike to replace them with someone's track fairings. You can make them look pretty good without too much expense if you can get a set that someone has already used. I think that I still have a set. Then you can do a through the fairing slider or an under fairing set. The under fairing pucks retain the stock look, protects the frame, but do not do as good a job IMO.

You might even find a cheap Chinese set of plastics that you won't have to paint.

Track plastics can look pretty good...

And, then, they can look pretty bad...

And then, you put your perfect skins back on, and all is forgiven.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you have a near perfect set, it may help to preserve the value of your bike to replace them with someone's track fairings. You can make them look pretty good without too much expense if you can get a set that someone has already used. I think that I still have a set. Then you can do a through the fairing slider or an under fairing set. The under fairing pucks retain the stock look, protects the frame, but do not do as good a job IMO.

You might even find a cheap Chinese set of plastics that you won't have to paint.

Track plastics can look pretty good...

And, then, they can look pretty bad...

And then, you put your perfect skins back on, and all is forgiven.

I spoke with the representative from woodcraft fairings and was told the sliders that require the alteration of the fairings work the best and i happen to agree also.

Second set of fairings is probably what I will have to do since my 999 is in near mint condition also

Do you have any suggestions for the fairing brand other than woodcraft

also thank you for the picture spread and a detailed reply

heres my 999 in exchange:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,513 Posts
OH, that's a beautiful bike, pumpkin model!

You cannot go wrong with Woodcraft. I've had them on a 748 low side and they did very well. They also did well with a low side on an SV650. I have used Cyclecat on the 999 as they had a very beefy monolithic slider (I don't know about them now). IIRC the thru bar was very strong and did not bend my frame holes when they were crashed. On the 999, I used Cyclecat bar ends, Woodcraft swing arm spools, and Sato fork axle sliders. The swing arm and axle sliders protected the bike extremely well - zero scratches.

One thing about the frame slider, depending on the circumstances of the crash, they may cause unintended launching of the bike. But, that is such an unknown variable that it is really not worth considering.

As for fairing, if you buy used, it will have been fitted. So, most likely it will fit your bike. If you buy used, Shark Skins have a good rep for fitting well. But buying new is going to be expensive in both time and cost. You will have to fit them, it is not exactly easy. Then you will have to sand and finish them. Paint is quite expensive, and you need a place where you can shoot it. You can pay someone to do it, if you do not have the facilities, ~$600-$1000.

I bought 2 sets of complete fairings for $385 a set! It was from a company that had copied Shark Skin molds. Shark Skins told them to quit selling them or they'd call the lawyers. So, I got them cheap. I finished them myself and, for a first try, they turned out pretty good. They were well worth the trouble because they are going to get smashed or at least scuffed when on a track.

I've never owned them, but the Chinese fairings seem like a great deal. I'd guess that they are fragile, but they are CHEAP, and the ones that I've seen look very good.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks!

Thank yo so much for such an in-depth reply I really appreciate the input.

I will most definitely take all those pointers and get myself a spare frame set and slider brand variations

Can I ask what does pumpkin model mean? lol it sounds adorable

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think it was the '03 '04 model years had the taller vents on the front of the fairings. Someone said that they look somewhat like a jack-o-lantern. I always liked that front end better and it was Terblance's original design. Beginning in '05 they were toned down.
oh I get it. I absolutely Love the 04 front cowl with extra vents. My 04 999 Is first and only motorcycle I have ever ridden or owned (so far). I am 2 years in as far as riding goes also, more bike meet ups I attend, I have to say I have yet to see another motorcycle model with such design (obv not comparing to the Ducati Sport Classic that is the absolute beauty) but The jack o lantern now can not be unseen.

Thanks again for all the info man. def going to get those sliders and an extra fairing case

salute

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

what kind of Under fairing slider are you referring to? I did not know there was such option

1 - 13 of 13 Posts