Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ducboy46 here,

Was going to take my newly acquired 2006 Ducati 999S to the dealer for the maintenance but i figured I own it so I better be able to fix it

What the best recommended oil for a Duc? I have heard Mobil 1 makes a nice change kit, as well as Rotella and along with Castrol?

Any ideas or knowledge would be great!

Thanks in advance

·
Premium Member
6,911 Posts
oil chart

In your owners manual you will see this chart, it gives you some choices depending on your local climate.
In my climate I use 10w-40 Silkolene Full Synthetic. It's the best I can buy/afford locally.

Craig

Attachments

·
Registered
168 Posts
"What the best recommended oil for a Duc?"

The same viscosity and API spec of an oil is no better than another oil of that viscosity and spec.

People cannot tell you the best oil as they just work. Perhaps someone could tell you the worst oil that was so bad that their engine wore out shortly after putting that oil in, but I doubt that anyone sells an oil that bad.

If you could save yourself 0.01% wear with one oil over another then don't bother as you will not still have the bike at 250,000 miles when things might start to wear out.

Don't believe oil manufacturers hype, they do not exist to make nice oil for you, they exist to part you from your money. They will give you the cheapest oil that they can make and charge you the highest price that they can get away with - that is the nature of any business.

·
Come in Spinner :)
7,469 Posts
The main difference in modern day oils lies in the anti wear additive package.
Anything later than SG is on the downward spiral due to emission control laws.
Most motorcycle specific 4T oils have the earlier additive specs.
Car oils don't.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts