Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, i am searching the net now for over 6 months and can not find an answer to my question. I hope my english is good enough to subscribe my problem. i have a ducati 999 facelift with the black swing arm. it was build in 2005. After i bought it i decide to build a cafe racer out of it. my knowledge about building bikes was zero, but as we know you grow with your challenges. I decided to change the dashboard to this one: EVO2 Dashboards | Dashboards | Aviacompositi and thats where my problem starts. As we know the sensor for the air pressure is build in in the original dashboard. So i had the idea to take a sensor of a Monster S4RS and connect it to the harness. My bike has the ECU from magneti marelli called 5AM.
the original sensor in the 999 dash sends the information via can bus to the ECU. If you look at the wiring diagram you realize that there is no pin on the ECU to connect an external sensor. so the first question would be where to connect the sensor to the ECU. when this is done the question is what kind of modification has to be done to the software on the ECU that makes the ECU able to wirk with the informations coming from the sensor?
I talked to a lot of experts and till now there are two suggestions.
The first one is to take a 998 harness and the ECU, but is the 59M, which is older and as i heard also fragile.
the second one is to take the harness of a monster S4RS which have the same ECU like my bike but unfortunately the monster has different throttle valves. That means that the timing has to be changed in the ECU and also the quantity of the fuel injection has to be changed, but i don't know to which value.
i don't want to change the ECU to a ignijet or something else and i can not believe that no one ever made a dash change with an external air pressure sensor.
I am really curious about your solutions. Thank you in advance
Greetings from Hamburg, Germany
Renato

·
Registered
32 Posts
MM IAW5 AM and IAW5.9 are used from many makers and with different configurations. 749/999 has inboard pressure sensor while others not.
So there are pins at ECU in order to connect Air Pressure Sensor.
Typical APS have 3 wires: 1) + 5V, 2) Ground, 3) out (0 to 5V)
Connect + of your sensor to E-22 or E-32. (Both have 5V supply)
Connect - of your sensor to E-20.
Connect "out" of your sensor to E-13.

All pins are at "E"ngine socket of the wiring harness. (better to solder new wire at existing wire and not to open the socket)

Hope this will work for you,
cheers,

Giannis

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Giannis, thank you for the answer. The Sensor i have is the one from the S4RS it is a air pressure and air temperature sensor in one. it has 4 wires. if i connect it as described do i have to change anything in the software of the ECU or will be the sensor recognized by the ECU automatically?

·
Registered
32 Posts
2in1.Common + and -.
Send wire colors. Now i fly back to Europe. When i have access to my memos again i will send you exact info. When you arrange cabling to your ECU, it will work without any other adjustment.

Giannis

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Giannis, here are some Pictures of the sensor and the attached connector with the 4 wires. I thing two of them are for the air temperature and the other two are for the pressure. Hoppe your fly bach to europa was good.

Attachments

·
Registered
32 Posts
Sorry took me so long to reply...being very busy lately..
Mr slow is correct...pins layout for this sensor is same for bosch-MM

Based on your photo (4470.jpg) note following:

Connect A cable (BK/V) to E29 (-)
Connect C cable to E22 (+) (same is E32 but for your wiring harness better connect to E22)
Connect B cable to E-14 (air temp)
Connect D cable to E-13 (air pres)

DO NOT dismantle cables from socket. USE soldering iron to weld your cables at existing socket cables.

Hope this was ok to help your project,

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi Giannis, thank you for the answer. On my ECU is no pin E13. Please see the attached picture.

Attachments

·
Registered
32 Posts
What you mean is that there is no wire at pin 13....ECU has pin 13 which is not used/connected at your configuration....Now you have to use pin 13 and connect a new wire since you use external sensor...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Oh i see. Thanks, but does the ECU recognize the sensor and uses the information that it gets, or do i have to somehow modify the software?
As i understand the information from the air pressure sensor was processed in the dashboard of the 999 and than sent via can bus to the ECU. So how does the ECU know now, that the information is coming now unprocessed over pin E-13? Or am i thinking in the wrong direction?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Normally ECU is same for many makers/models and knows what to do with incoming data. As long as data exists.....I don't think input 13 is deactivated.
Connect your sensor and everything will be ok

·
Registered
12 Posts
i dont think so,
but please try and report ;-)

if it doesn´t work,
use a s4rs software and copy your fuel/ignition maps into

1 - 14 of 14 Posts