Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

21 - 40 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
2004 998S FE, 2017 KTM450EXC
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I ran a new chip that converted the bike to single injectors and had it dyno tuned by, um, for cripe sakes I've forgotten who tuned it. Probably Ducati Detroit? Nicest running Ducati I've ever owned when it was all said and done. I also had a set on slip on Termis for it that I never got around to installing.

As for not sounding like a Termi... there is no magic to Termi mufflers. If you copy their perf pattern and use the same size tubes you will get the same sound. The prototype shop I mentioned existed purely to build exhaust systems BTW - I used to design OEM automotive mufflers for a living. I'm pretty sure Duc96cr knows the place I'm talking about... ;-)

FWIW I did it to a spare set of stock cans I got off eBay. I don't even recall what year/model they were off of now as it didn't matter, I only wanted the outer shells. The muffers I used were not straight through but I would expect the internals to be different between years/models.
Thanks DesmoDog, I wouldn't quite have the skills (or access to resources) like you do! It sounds like I should probably either do what you did (get a secondhand set off eBay to convert) or just buy some Termi's. It might be better to leave my stock ones alone just in case I ever have to pop them back on the bike. I really appreciate all your advice - cheers.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
May i be so bold mhq26 to correct you by saying that there's no probably about it, Termis or Arrow, or something similar would DEFINITELY be worth it!
Take your time, you just bought the bike, save your pennies over your winter, find the right set of pipes and have them on the bike for your summer in a few months time..
Yeah, it makes a lot of sense! And you're right - the bike is probably going to be off the road from around May for a few months so it will be a good opportunity to save up for some Termi's (with a new ECU map) before summer comes around again. Cheers

·
Registered
182 Posts
I ran a new chip that converted the bike to single injectors and had it dyno tuned by, um, for cripe sakes I've forgotten who tuned it. Probably Ducati Detroit? Nicest running Ducati I've ever owned when it was all said and done. I also had a set on slip on Termis for it that I never got around to installing.

As for not sounding like a Termi... there is no magic to Termi mufflers. If you copy their perf pattern and use the same size tubes you will get the same sound. The prototype shop I mentioned existed purely to build exhaust systems BTW - I used to design OEM automotive mufflers for a living. I'm pretty sure Duc96cr knows the place I'm talking about... ;-)

FWIW I did it to a spare set of stock cans I got off eBay. I don't even recall what year/model they were off of now as it didn't matter, I only wanted the outer shells. The muffers I used were not straight through but I would expect the internals to be different between years/models.
The 998 runs a different ecu and does not use a chip like the 996/916. There is a level of adjustability (via software) with the stock ECU. I know my 998S (with termi) runs the standard ECU and goes well.I have adjusted the ECU parameters on a 999S to get it to run better, and it was worthwhile on that as a termi made it run like crap. You have to remember our fuel is different to other places in the world....and sometimes an aftermarket chip/ecu ie termi one is not the best. I spent a day on a dyno with a 916 once and tried half a dozen reputable chips....and the best one was the standard one!!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
I've recently purchased a 998S FE Monoposto (deep sump, from Japan and I live in New Zealand) and I was wondering if the apparent 25mm restrictor in the standard Termignoni mufflers can be removed to convert to a full 50mm (the size of the end caps)? If so, what's involved and does the ECU need to be updated/reprogrammed?

I've attached some photos showing the end cap/restrictor and part number.

If anyone could help, I'd really appreciate it! Thanks Mick
View attachment 983299 View attachment 983300

·
Registered
6 Posts
I've recently purchased a 998S FE Monoposto (deep sump, from Japan and I live in New Zealand) and I was wondering if the apparent 25mm restrictor in the standard Termignoni mufflers can be removed to convert to a full 50mm (the size of the end caps)? If so, what's involved and does the ECU need to be updated/reprogrammed?

I've attached some photos showing the end cap/restrictor and part number.

If anyone could help, I'd really appreciate it! Thanks Mick
View attachment 983299 View attachment 983300
My old bike!!.I recognise the red brake fluid covers.From MID in CHCH yeah?.I never used it,Just sat in the lounge looking pretty.I just loved the look of them so bought it.Biggest bike i had before this was a RG150 so a big stepup.I was too scared to use the thing as it was so perfect I was paranoid about marking it.

·
Registered
889 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
My old bike!!.I recognise the red brake fluid covers.From MID in CHCH yeah?.I never used it,Just sat in the lounge looking pretty.I just loved the look of them so bought it.Biggest bike i had before this was a RG150 so a big stepup.I was too scared to use the thing as it was so perfect I was paranoid about marking it. View attachment 983381
Wow, John that's so cool! I know what you mean about not riding it - it's such a work of art and in pristine condition but ultimately the 916 series has been my dream bike since I was 25 so I've decided that I will ride it on special occasions! I've clocked up 318kms so far in 3 months :). Hopefully, I'll keep it looking new. When I'm not riding it, it sits in my lounge room so I can admire Massimo Tamburini artwork!

·
Premium Member
5,219 Posts
I am running the 996 in the 916 and I've been through a few engines and screwed with a lot of stuff on it. It's enough bike and I know it better than other machines I've had on the track. It's predictable and reliable and that's why I enjoy it. So I will keep it until I crash it so bad that I cannot fix it.

I do not have a picture of the inside exhaust, but have a look at the asci map I made. It is not identical but about like what I show. Chamber 2 may have 2 paths out, I don't recall. I'll post more images of my exhaust tomorrow.

View attachment 983321
How long did that take?

Not the actual modification, rather, the Ascii generated image. And to think I was impressed when someone spelled BOOBS (58008) on their calculator years ago. ;)

·
Premium Member
5,219 Posts
Thanks belter. I guess I was looking to save a few bucks but still unleash the sound. But really I should be saving for some proper cans...
Look... I am in the same boat with a couple of the others in that I am of the opinion that these bikes, especially the limited edition ones in mint or near mint condition, should stay that way. I'm not saying they need to stay stock, but IMO, they should have only period correct modifications made to them, and those mods should not stray from the original design intent or aesthetic. Just my .02 cents.

If I were you, I'd scour the web, and would not rest until I'd found a 54mm full system. The noise is... well... glorious.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #31 (Edited)
My old bike!!.I recognise the red brake fluid covers.From MID in CHCH yeah?.I never used it,Just sat in the lounge looking pretty.I just loved the look of them so bought it.Biggest bike i had before this was a RG150 so a big stepup.I was too scared to use the thing as it was so perfect I was paranoid about marking it. View attachment 983381
Oh, and this is where it lives now!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Look... I am in the same boat with a couple of the others in that I am of the opinion that these bikes, especially the limited edition ones in mint or near mint condition, should stay that way. I'm not saying they need to stay stock, but IMO, they should have only period correct modifications made to them, and those mods should not stray from the original design intent or aesthetic. Just my .02 cents.

If I were you, I'd scour the web, and would not rest until I'd found a 54mm full system. The noise is... well... glorious.

Oh, yeah that sounds amazing! I'm definitely swaying towards keeping the stock muffler and sourcing some Termi's. So you'd go 54mm over 50mm?

·
Premium Member
5,219 Posts
Oh, yeah that sounds amazing! I'm definitely swaying towards keeping the stock muffler and sourcing some Termi's. So you'd go 54mm over 50mm?
Yep... I would.

I have an '02 748R. I went from the stock 45mm's to a full 50mm system which I promptly tore apart, cleaned and shipped to Jet Hot for their Satin Ceramic coating. That was almost 10 years ago now and they still look amazing. And the sound is "equally" glorious, although I am sure that the litre Testastretta with 54's is a bit more "inspiring". ;)

VIDEO0024.mp4

IMO the '02 and onwards slab sided bodywork with the color matched mirrors were the best looking of the bunch... you've got yourself something special there.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Yep... I would.

I have an '02 748R. I went from the stock 45mm's to a full 50mm system which I promptly tore apart, cleaned and shipped to Jet Hot for their Satin Ceramic coating. That was almost 10 years ago now and they still look amazing. And the sound is "equally" glorious, although I am sure that the litre Testastretta with 54's is a bit more "inspiring". ;)

VIDEO0024.mp4

IMO the '02 and onwards slab sided bodywork with the color matched mirrors were the best looking of the bunch... you've got yourself something special there.
Oh very nice, an 'R'! Thanks, I'll start looking for a 54mm system then. It might take me a while but that's OK as we're approaching our winter so the bike will be off the road for several months. And yeah, it looks pretty nice and I'm very lucky to have it.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Ducati 998 /R/S 54mm Silmotor Exhaust Full System & Carbon Oval Silencers

Don't worry mhq26, we're here to help spend your money ...;)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Ducati 998 /R/S 54mm Silmotor Exhaust Full System & Carbon Oval Silencers

Don't worry mhq26, we're here to help spend your money ...;)
Oh wow, that's a beautiful full system. And it only costs ~ $2950 NZD!

·
Registered
3,700 Posts
Here is an image of where the rear rivets are. One on top like in the image, and one on the bottom of the can. I can do a video of the sound, but the desmo sounds different from the testa. And sound in videos is not accurate to being there.

Prophet, the ascii drawing didn't take too long. 5 minutes or so.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Here is an image of where the rear rivets are. One on top like in the image, and one on the bottom of the can. I can do a video of the sound, but the desmo sounds different from the testa. And sound in videos is not accurate to being there.
View attachment 983457

Prophet, the ascii drawing didn't take too long. 5 minutes or so.
Excellent, thanks for that Namor.

21 - 40 of 48 Posts