Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
2004 998S FE, 2017 KTM450EXC
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've recently purchased a 998S FE Monoposto (deep sump, from Japan and I live in New Zealand) and I was wondering if the apparent 25mm restrictor in the standard Termignoni mufflers can be removed to convert to a full 50mm (the size of the end caps)? If so, what's involved and does the ECU need to be updated/reprogrammed?

I've attached some photos showing the end cap/restrictor and part number.

If anyone could help, I'd really appreciate it! Thanks Mick

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Yeah, that is indeed a very sweet score, congrats!
I love the FE, it was a very fitting send off for the 916 line imo
How many miles? It looks pretty cherry..
You're not considering a nice aftermarket exhaust system to finish off that beautiful bike?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, that is indeed a very sweet score, congrats!
I love the FE, it was a very fitting send off for the 916 line imo
How many miles? It looks pretty cherry..
You're not considering a nice aftermarket exhaust system to finish off that beautiful bike?
Thanks vanduc996. I was looking for a while and this one came up with 4900kms so I was very happy to buy it. I would love a pair of 50mm carbon Termignoni slip-ons but just trying to look after the budget for the time being!

·
Registered
3,710 Posts
Yes, it's not too difficult.

1) Drill out out all the pop rivets holding the outer exhaust sleeve of the "muffler" assembly
2) Cut off what you want. (There are 3 chambers in there and after you have a look you can see how restrictive they are)
3) If all you cut off is the restrictor that looks like a baffle then you will lose the "anchor" for the rear fitting that has 3 pop rivets. Putting the 3 pop rivets back will be for cosmetic purposes
4) Per image of the pipe with the Cometic sticker, you will have to drill out at least one hole on the exterior exhaust and end fitting to be able to keep the fitting in place. The images are clearer than my words
5) You can gut the entire chamber system to lose several pounds and allow better breathing, but the raspy sound is not for everyone and you will have to drill at least 2 more holes for pop rivets at the far end of the exhaust under the seat to keep the outer sleeve attached. You can get used to the raspy sound quickly, but know you will notice a difference at idle and on your first several rides

If you decide to gut the entire exhaust and want more picture, just let me know and I will help out. Don't judge the dirty Time Machine. I delivered a child in the bathtub 4 weeks ago without a plan and The Time Machine has been a garage queen for a few years. Life decisions, but we are back on the road now... on a track bike.

Attachments

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes, it's not too difficult.

1) Drill out out all the pop rivets holding the outer exhaust sleeve of the "muffler" assembly
2) Cut off what you want. (There are 3 chambers in there and after you have a look you can see how restrictive they are)
3) If all you cut off is the restrictor that looks like a baffle then you will lose the "anchor" for the rear fitting that has 3 pop rivets. Putting the 3 pop rivets back will be for cosmetic purposes
4) Per image of the pipe with the Cometic sticker, you will have to drill out at least one hole on the exterior exhaust and end fitting to be able to keep the fitting in place. The images are clearer than my words
5) You can gut the entire chamber system to lose several pounds and allow better breathing, but the raspy sound is not for everyone and you will have to drill at least 2 more holes for pop rivets at the far end of the exhaust under the seat to keep the outer sleeve attached. You can get used to the raspy sound quickly, but know you will notice a difference at idle and on your first several rides

If you decide to gut the entire exhaust and want more pictures, just let me know and I will help out. Don't judge the dirty Time Machine. I delivered a child in the bathtub 4 weeks ago without a plan and The Time Machine has been a garage queen for a few years. Life decisions, but we are back on the road now... on a track bike.
Hi Namor

Many thanks for the detailed explanation and photos - it all makes sense. And I won't judge the dirty Time Machine - it sounds like you've been very busy and I can only imagine that delivering a baby in a bathtub was fairly unexpected! I hope the child is healthy. And you're back on the bike which is the main thing. Have you converted the 916/996 into a track bike or are you using something else?

Any more photos would be greatly appreciated. Specifically, do you have photos of the internals/baffle? And does the rough idle settle down or is it ongoing? If not, I wonder if I'll need to reprogram the ECU.

I really appreciate your time helping out.

Cheers Mick

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
It is possible to convert the stock muffler over to something that is essentially the same as a the aftermarket part except with a stock shell. I did it to my 996 years ago.

Here are the steps. Remove the rivets as mentioned and pull the internals out of the shell. The internal part won't just slide out with no effort but once you get it out it will look like this:

When you unwrap the insulation it will look like this. You can sort of see the internals - simply removing the smaller outlet tube won't lower restriction much if at all.

After that you want to cut these welds, or I suppose you could just lop off the whole thing here.

In any case you're removing this part

Now the fun part. You have to source a perforated tube of the right diameter. I don't recall what that is and they were probably different depending on model anyway. The inlet end of the perf tube should fit into the inlet tube of the muffler. The other end of that tube has to be attached to the outlet end of the part shown above. In my case I just made a new plate with a flare that fit over the perf tube. Well, I had the prototype shop at work make it anyway... What you might have to do instead of that is cut out the stock outlet leaving a hole ths size of the perf tube, and then attach the perf tube to that end plate.

Here is a shot with the various parts. The new insert in the background was wrapped with fiberglass packing (you could use a repacking kit for an aftermarket can) and then stuffed back into the stock can. Rivet it back together and you have a stock looking can that has a nice sound and not the raspy crap you get when you simply gut it.

I can't find the pics of the completed part but just imagine a stock can with a big outlet.

·
Registered
3,710 Posts
I am running the 996 in the 916 and I've been through a few engines and screwed with a lot of stuff on it. It's enough bike and I know it better than other machines I've had on the track. It's predictable and reliable and that's why I enjoy it. So I will keep it until I crash it so bad that I cannot fix it.

I do not have a picture of the inside exhaust, but have a look at the asci map I made. It is not identical but about like what I show. Chamber 2 may have 2 paths out, I don't recall. I'll post more images of my exhaust tomorrow.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It is possible to convert the stock muffler over to something that is essentially the same as a the aftermarket part except with a stock shell. I did it to my 996 years ago.
Wow DesmoDog/Craig, that is absolutely amazing information and detail! Thanks so much for putting the photos and the step-by-step description together - very much appreciated. It all sounds like something I could do as long as I can source the correct size perforated tube. When I do it, I'll post up my progress shots and the finished product.

Did you have to remap the ECU or did it run OK with the 'new' muffler?

Thanks again, Mick

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I am running the 996 in the 916 and I've been through a few engines and ...
Namor, thanks for the diagram - that's awesome! And yeah, maybe year-by-year they vary a little so I'll take some photos of mine when I take it apart.

I'd love to take my 998 on the track as I'd imagine it would be a dream if I get the Ohlins all set up correctly. I raced 600 supersport many years ago but to punt a superbike around a track would be incredible. I'd imagine your 916/996 would be sublime around a track. Enjoy the turns!

Thanks again for all your help.

Cheers Mick

·
Registered
182 Posts
Standard ECU is aok for road use.....if you are going to race it...put it on a dyno. Cored mufflers never sound as good as Termis. Remember to check intake air tubes to see if restrictor blocks are in them...if so remove. Been there...done that

·
Registered
6,576 Posts
I agree with belter. Your bike is rare and getting older to the point that those stock cans might make a difference when you sell. Keep it stock until you can afford some replacement cans , then pack those away in case you ever sell the bike.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Standard ECU is aok for road use.....if you are going to race it...put it on a dyno. Cored mufflers never sound as good as Termis. Remember to check intake air tubes to see if restrictor blocks are in them...if so remove. Been there...done that
Thanks kiwi99/Wayne. I didn't even think about checking the intake air tubes and good to know about leaving the ECU as standard. Geez, you have quite a collection of 916's - well done!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
keep the std mufflers std and get something else. it'll be worth it.
Thanks belter. I guess I was looking to save a few bucks but still unleash the sound. But really I should be saving for some proper cans...

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I agree with belter. Your bike is rare and getting older to the point that those stock cans might make a difference when you sell. Keep it stock until you can afford some replacement cans , then pack those away in case you ever sell the bike.
You make a very good point, duc96cr. By the time I get some 50mm Termi's delivered here to New Zealand, they'll be close to $1800 (~$1100USD). But you're right, it would probably be worth it. Decisions...

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
I ran a new chip that converted the bike to single injectors and had it dyno tuned by, um, for cripe sakes I've forgotten who tuned it. Probably Ducati Detroit? Nicest running Ducati I've ever owned when it was all said and done. I also had a set on slip on Termis for it that I never got around to installing.

As for not sounding like a Termi... there is no magic to Termi mufflers. If you copy their perf pattern and use the same size tubes you will get the same sound. The prototype shop I mentioned existed purely to build exhaust systems BTW - I used to design OEM automotive mufflers for a living. I'm pretty sure Duc96cr knows the place I'm talking about... ;-)

FWIW I did it to a spare set of stock cans I got off eBay. I don't even recall what year/model they were off of now as it didn't matter, I only wanted the outer shells. The muffers I used were not straight through but I would expect the internals to be different between years/models.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
May i be so bold mhq26 to correct you by saying that there's no probably about it, Termis or Arrow, or something similar would DEFINITELY be worth it!
Take your time, you just bought the bike, save your pennies over your winter, find the right set of pipes and have them on the bike for your summer in a few months time..

1 - 20 of 48 Posts