Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys I've used the search function but couldn't find the information I'm looking for

I thought I was doing nothing but the best for my 998 when I ordered a Shorai battery but its been nothing but trouble from day 1

The battery arrived and the terminals are + - instead of the - + arrangement on the 998. I don't understand how Shorai and the various vendors haven't figured this erroneous listing. Anyways I got around that my turning the battery around

The Shorai terminals are weak Chinese crap btw

Then I had weak starts so I spent some more money and invested in Motolectric HICAP kit but didn't notice any major difference in the way the bike started.

Can anyone please suggest the best battery for the 998?

thanks heaps:smile2:

·
Matt
676 Posts
I use a Shorai in my 748S (converted to 853) and it is fantastic in terms of starting power.

Have you checked to see what voltage the battery is at? And did you happen to hook it up backwards (if you did you'll need to replace that big fuse just to the right of the battery...this fuse protects the bike in the event the battery is hooked up backwards and although the bike will run with this fuse blown, it won't charge the battery).

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I use a Shorai in my 748S (converted to 853) and it is fantastic in terms of starting power.

Have you checked to see what voltage the battery is at? And did you happen to hook it up backwards (if you did you'll need to replace that big fuse just to the right of the battery...this fuse protects the bike in the event the battery is hooked up backwards and although the bike will run with this fuse blown, it won't charge the battery).
thanks for your response XLR

Are the battery terminals on your 853 - + like the 998? if yes which model was your Shorai?

The battery was installed by the local Ducati shop as were the HICAP leads a few months later but I will check for the fuse

thanks again. Appreciate your help

·
Matt
676 Posts
I'm not sure if I understand what you mean by -+

On my 748/854 to + terminal is towards the front of the bike and the - is towards the rear. The battery is installed such that this aligns the same way which puts the terminals towards the inside of the bike rather than the outside, but that doesn't create any issues (at least on my bike).

I am not sure of the Shorai model as I cannot readily see the model number without pulling fairings and such. I think next best step is check the voltage and double check the fuse.

·
Premium Member
5,490 Posts
...The battery arrived and the terminals are + - instead of the - + arrangement on the 998. I don't understand how Shorai and the various vendors haven't figured this erroneous listing. Anyways I got around that my turning the battery around...
I hate to tell you this now, but there are two different versions of each Shorai battery... one with the terminals arranged as you describe, the other with them swapped. Am going on 4 years now with mine, have the same year bike, with the same 3 phase electronics package and I've had zero issues.

·
Premium Member
5,647 Posts
True.

I purchased the "wrong" one on purpose as I wanted the charging port facing out. Simply had to modify the metal clip that holds the battery in place. I have a Shorai in the 916 and recently the ST4s. No issues, but I have also made sure my charging systems are operating as they should. Aside from checking the charging circuit fuse, put a meter on the battery terminals with the bike running. You want to be mid 13VDC (13.5ish) at idle and close to or just over 14VDC when at 4 or 5KRPM. If not, it's time to do some work on the charging system. Likely it's the rectifier / regulator, but there are some other items to look at too.

http://www.ducati.ms/forums/80-hall-wisdom/94947-upgrade-fix-no-more-charging-regulator-rectifier-problems.html

The Shorai is more than up to the task, but it does not suffer poor charging systems very well.

Reactions: ProphetPVD

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
i have been using my shorai battery for three years with no problem, and it came with the bike.

·
Premium Member
5,647 Posts
May be time to look at the starter motor,brushes may be getting down or may just need a new one.
Solenoid as well. Try the old school trick of jumping across the terminals with a big ass screwdriver.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
if you take the starter apart you can clean the contacts on the with some 800-1000 sand paper. it is a good pain in the ass to put back together though.

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
Shorai LFX-18 in both Ducs (996 and high-comp 853) and they have always started without issue.

Yes, the terminals are a bit shit but you don't need to crank on them make good tight contact. If you bent them then you're going way to hard on them.

As others said they make them in both terminal configurations. Example: I will be picking up another LFX-18 for my Thruxton this winter, but it will have the reversed polarity. Same exact battery, but reversed terminals.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm not sure if I understand what you mean by -+

On my 748/854 to + terminal is towards the front of the bike and the - is towards the rear. The battery is installed such that this aligns the same way which puts the terminals towards the inside of the bike rather than the outside, but that doesn't create any issues (at least on my bike).

I am not sure of the Shorai model as I cannot readily see the model number without pulling fairings and such. I think next best step is check the voltage and double check the fuse.
what I meant by - + was the way the terminals were laid out

From what you describe; your Shorai is the right one for the Duc

Will check the voltage and the fuse. Thanks again

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I hate to tell you this now, but there are two different versions of each Shorai battery... one with the terminals arranged as you describe, the other with them swapped. Am going on 4 years now with mine, have the same year bike, with the same 3 phase electronics package and I've had zero issues.
thanks for your reply Prophet

Yes I am aware of the "L" and "A" models on the Shorai but I was surprised that the wrong battery is listed on their website as suitable for the 998

Do you keep yours hooked on to the tender?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
http://www.ducati.ms/forums/80-hall-wisdom/94947-upgrade-fix-no-more-charging-regulator-rectifier-problems.html

The Shorai is more than up to the task, but it does not suffer poor charging systems very well.
Interesting thread. Thank you for your help

Have hooked my Shorai up to the Shorai charger and will check the charging system once the battery is ready to go

Another possible cause for my battery drain is probably due to the fact that the cooling fans keep running after the key is turned off when I return from a ride. Im reluctant to cut the wires and install a switch :(

cant have everything my way I guess

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Solenoid as well. Try the old school trick of jumping across the terminals with a big ass screwdriver.

Cyclops and SS thank you for your inputs

Will check the solenoid. But the Duc shop confirmed that the carbon brushes in the starter were fine

·
Premium Member
5,490 Posts
thanks for your reply Prophet

Yes I am aware of the "L" and "A" models on the Shorai but I was surprised that the wrong battery is listed on their website as suitable for the 998

Do you keep yours hooked on to the tender?
During riding season no, so it sits from June until October off the tender. Once it is in the house for the winter however it is on the tender the entire time.

·
Registered
93 Posts
For what it's worth my 998 battery experience has been as follows:

- Purchased bike with old Yuasa Battery (bike really didn't want to start, took several attempts every single time even though the battery was always fully charged via Battery Tender)

- Upgraded to the heavier gauge battery leads hoping they would flow more as I was told the Yuasa was up to the task and that wasn't the issue (bike started marginally better, but still pretty poor and usually still took multiple tries)

- Upgraded to the Shorai 18 (bike starts right up, amazing difference!)

*Take note, when installing it's not a great idea to use a spanner that happens to be the exact right length so as to match the space between the terminals (should have been using a socket anyways but it wouldn't fit on one side). Long story short, I dropped it on accident and 1 in a 1,000,000 it landed exactly on both terminals. The 4th of July ensued and in the 10 seconds it took me to get a tool and glove with insulative properties so as to try and remove it, it had already fused to the positive side and the battery had heated up to scorching temps. Let's just say I have a new respect for the power of batteries! Be careful and always follow proper protocols.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
well; I have the Motolectrix upgraded leads so its now a matter of finding out of the batter is really the culprit

While the Shorai is on charge; I will look for a Yuasa and then compare the two

I'm really fed up with "warming up the Shorai" before hitting the starter. Foreplay with a battery:mad:

·
Premium Member
5,647 Posts
I'm really fed up with "warming up the Shorai" before hitting the starter. Foreplay with a battery:mad:
That only applies to very cold climates. It's averaging 40 degrees (4.5C)where I am right now, and both bikes with Shorai batteries start right up.

Your signature indicates you're in Dubai. I feel I can say with some confidence that the cold weather warm up thing doesn't apply to you.

What was the result of your charging system test?

1 - 20 of 44 Posts