Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So......I have just acquired a 996 that has not been turned over for about 2 1/2 years. Problem is that it still does not turn over. I do not hear the fuel pump prime when I turn the key on, so I am thinking that this is the problem. Does anybody have any ideas on how to trouble shoot this problem. Oh and one more thing.......are any of the needles supposed to move when you turn the key on like on the xx9 bikes?

·
Banned
2,888 Posts
First, congrats on the purchase. Could be a number of things, but start with the fuses located to the rear of the battery. Could be the block type fuses that can get corroded and lose contact. Another famous one is the connector for the starter, sometimes goes out or just loose (located near the relay cluster by the front of the battery).

Good luck and post up what you got when you're ready,

DT

·
Premium Member
8,737 Posts
Is your battery fully charged? Do you know if its the original battery?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So to clarify......I have lights but no dial movement.......not sure if I am supposed to have dial movement. The bike turns over but does not start. Therefore battery and starter are good to go. I am thinking my problem is with the fuel pump but not sure as this is my first xx6/8 bike. I checked the block of fuses to the left of the battery and the big fuse to the right of the battery and all seem good. Are there anymore fuses hidden around this thing? I am getting ready to do a new build up with this bike but I just want to ride it right now and just want to get this up and running

·
Registered
809 Posts
There are two fuses under the seat. The dials do not move, as yellow blur stated.

How's the fuel? also 2,5 years old? Do you hear the fuel pump when you turn the power on? Maybe even open the tank and the turn power on to see/hear more clearly.

Are you getting a spark?

·
Registered
5,138 Posts
2 1/2 years without being turned? and how long have the belts been fitted before that?

I wouldn't be turning it under power until I'd at least checked the belt condition.

·
Registered
140 Posts
If you're not hearing the fuel pump priming, it could be bad relays. Replace the ones under the tail.

·
Registered
27 Posts
My guess is that the fuel pump is controlled by a relay with a fuse protecting the circuit. If the fuse is good I would suspect the relay is bad.

This problem is sometimes encountered on the MV Agusta F4. It is called a latch relay and is located on the right side of the bike under the seat.

I wouldn't be surprised if the 996 used a similar arrangement.

·
Registered
724 Posts
So to clarify......I have lights but no dial movement.......not sure if I am supposed to have dial movement. The bike turns over but does not start. Therefore battery and starter are good to go. I am thinking my problem is with the fuel pump but not sure as this is my first xx6/8 bike. I checked the block of fuses to the left of the battery and the big fuse to the right of the battery and all seem good. Are there anymore fuses hidden around this thing? I am getting ready to do a new build up with this bike but I just want to ride it right now and just want to get this up and running
Was it sitting with no fuel in it? If so - the pump could be locked up. Check to see if you have power to the pump – and or relay.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I'd second the concern on timing belts. Sitting for 2.5 years may have been rough on them - I would get new belts on there before any riding, or at least check them first.

In regards to the starting - it may be that the fuel (if left in tank) got gummed up in the tank, injectors, or in between.

·
Registered
48 Posts
It would be interesting to know how this turned out? - I had similar on a 748, turned out to be waterlogged ECU..

1 - 12 of 12 Posts