Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

Ducati 996 ohlins spring

3K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  xracer 
#1 ·
Hi there

I have ohlins rear shock on my ducati and when i’m setting rider sag i have to put lot of preload on the spring. That’s not good for shock so i think that i need new harder spring. Is there any guide how to choose correct spring? I have 85 kg + gear

#2 ·
all the oem shocks had a 64 spring from memory, altho saying that i think that was only the single seat bikes. don't recall what the dual seat oem shock had.

what is on it now? it'll say 1091 64 29 or something like that. the 1091 bit (might be 1092, etc) is the spring series, 64 is the rate in n/mm (6.4 kg/mm pretty much) and 29 is the rate in a different spec from memory.

you'd want an 85 at a guess, but i could be wrong there.

#3 ·
As a very rough rule of thumb rider weight is spring rate. Öhlins I think came with -75. If it’s a trac bike then I would suggest you run a flat link and spring according (usually-2 more the the street rate you run) if it’s a roady then for your weight I would start with -80. Remember the road is a compromise and so is the link. I wouldn’t go higher then -90 on a road link with your weight.

#6 ·
Yes im riding mostly on road you are talking about spring rate same as i weight . Only me or me + riding gear? Because i’m setting sag and i have 16mm sag bike only and 40 mm with me on the bike thoose numbers are for the back shock

With the showa shock i had sag set tu 35mm in the front and 30mm in the rear

#8 ·
Total weight. You and your riding gear. My preference is 10-15 mm of sag on the street link. That’s just what I prefer. I find that’s the only way to get rid of the pogo (bounce) exiting a corner. I run -90 on my 999 and -85 on my 998. I’m 86kg with gear.

#7 · (Edited)
This will help: (You have the correct spring for your weight, 1091-21).

According to Öhlins, the amount that the rear suspension should move when you sit on it (loaded sag minus static sag) is between 25 mm (track) and 30 mm (road). If you get significantly more, you need a stiffer spring; less a softer spring.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.