Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
So I am attempting to rebuild a crashed 959. It was a hit in the front and it looks like the bike spent some time on the side after. So far I have everything squared away except the red oil pressure light. I changed the sensor just to make sure but that made no difference. Bike starts with out any issues. Asking for help to figure out what to do next, easiest to hardest would be preferable. Thanks in advance, here are some pics.

Attachments

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Oh and also I changed the filter, and oil. So super easy stuff is out of the way. Given my luck none of this fixed the issue lol

·
Registered
261 Posts
I’m not sure what you’re hoping to hear, but if two sensors have told you the oil pressure is low, why don’t you start with verifying that?

Was it low before you changed the oil and filter? If you mistakingly used an 1199 filter you may run into an issue like that. 1199 filters are slightly different dimension than 899/959/1299 filters if I recall.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I’m not sure what you’re hoping to hear, but if two sensors have told you the oil pressure is low, why don’t you start with verifying that?

Was it low before you changed the oil and filter? If you mistakingly used an 1199 filter you may run into an issue like that. 1199 filters are slightly different dimension than 899/959/1299 filters if I recall.

Here is the filter I used K&N OIL FILTER 2016-2016 959 Panigale DUCATI KN-159
Warning lamp was on before but the oil in the bike was really bad so I changed it immediately along with the filter. I ordered the pressure gauge so I can see exactly what the pressure is.

What I am hoping to get some clarification on is the steps from easiest to hardest of what to do next.

Check pressure,
Replace oil pump

Also I was reading about some mysterious oil sender unit which I can't find in the workshop manual.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Here is the filter I used K&N OIL FILTER 2016-2016 959 Panigale DUCATI KN-159

Warning lamp was on before but the oil in the bike was really bad so I changed it immediately along with the filter. I ordered the pressure gauge so I can see exactly what the pressure is.

What I am hoping to get some clarification on is the steps from easiest to hardest of what to do next.

Check pressure,

Replace oil pump

Also I was reading about some mysterious oil sender unit which I can't find in the workshop manual.

Ok, so that rules out the oil filter being an issue.

The oil pressure sending unit is the oil pressure sensor. The names are interchangeable. If I recall the sending unit is connected to a hose that comes off the right hand engine cover and places the sensor up near the ECU.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok, so that rules out the oil filter being an issue.

The oil pressure sending unit is the oil pressure sensor. The names are interchangeable. If I recall the sending unit is connected to a hose that comes off the right hand engine cover and places the sensor up near the ECU.

Replaced hose with sensor, bike idles fine not eratic. RPM is right under 2k. I guess I'll wait for pressure guage and see what it says. What pressure is suppose to be at idle anyone know?

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
If it spent time on its side running, you might be looking at rod bearing issues. An oil pressure check should reveal if they are excessively worn. Not sure of the Pani but I would estimate 60+ psi on a cold start.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Oh and also I changed the filter, and oil.
Did you check old oil for metal pieces? Do you still have old oil and filter? You could check filter. There should be some bearing flakes if those are worn. Or is there same kind of mesh filter in oil pan like in older Ducatis?

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
To exclude any wire issues from the sensor to the ecu, did you pressurize the sensor or bridge the feedback cable?

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Did you check old oil for metal pieces? Do you still have old oil and filter? You could check filter. There should be some bearing flakes if those are worn. Or is there same kind of mesh filter in oil pan like in older Ducatis?
I didn't see any obvious metal flakes in the oil when I drained it. I believe there is some type of mesh somewhere but its not the same like it was on my 749. Not sure where its located.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
To exclude any wire issues from the sensor to the ecu, did you pressurize the sensor or bridge the feedback cable?

The wiring harness was all jacked up so I actually ended up buying a used one and putting it in. That fixed all the other issues except the oil light.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

Well got my pressure gauge... I have 0 pressure. Needle doesn't even move. I disconnected the gauge and left the hole open and 0 oil comes out.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So... I am sad to say I am officially an idiot...
Looks like I installed the filter the wrong way, just turned it around and the oil light went away. .... I feel ashamed...

·
Registered
196 Posts
Looks like I installed the filter the wrong way, just turned it around and the oil light went away. .... I feel ashamed...
That should not be even possible. Filter should be designed so it fits only one way!
On the other hand.. I know once jet fighter plane crashed because fuel filter was not correctly installed. Original filter had little nipple that guided filter to correct place. Army bought cheaper version without that nipple..

·
Registered
50 Posts
That should not be even possible. Filter should be designed so it fits only one way!
On the other hand.. I know once jet fighter plane crashed because fuel filter was not correctly installed. Original filter had little nipple that guided filter to correct place. Army bought cheaper version without that nipple..
Now.. that is...

I have no words

·
Registered
261 Posts
we all goof up every now and again. You got it sorted and shared the experience so other people who search won't make the same mistake in the future. That's the whole point of this forum. Enjoy the 959!

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well thats what I thought, but these damn canister filters they fit both ways in the hole. .... still cant get over it. Luckily I only idled the bike for a little bit in this scenario. I have not words for myself..

1 - 20 of 20 Posts