Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Mayor of Simpleton
4,884 Posts
Definitely a cool bike, but seriously doubt it will meet the opening bid. Needs provenance from a well known racer to bring serious money. Perhaps I'm wrong, but I think its a $25k-$30k bike.

Reactions: RockAZ

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
One of the coolest bikes ever made. Also a time bomb and excruciatingly expensive to repair and find parts for. I would run it from time to time but its a collector's piece.

That seller has been unloading quality Ducatis for a month or two now.

I am with nine16 on the price, but to me that machine is worth more than a Superleggera. If I had the kind of money I would buy it as is.

·
Registered
100 Posts
One of the coolest bikes ever made.
+1, I was about to post about it also as I've just seen it, some of the best looking race bikes (or bikes at all) ever made IMHO.
Not sure about the price either, but nevermind :)

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have never owned a Ducati. These days I’m thinking more and more about finally getting one. I’m looking at a black 2009 Superbike 1198S with 13,000 miles on it. I know the specs, but I don’t know the history of that model. You know,... what would it be like to live with? It’s been for sale ALL YEAR LONG! It does look good in person, though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have never owned a Ducati. These days I’m thinking more and more about finally getting one. I’m looking at a black 2009 Superbike 1198S with 13,000 miles on it. I know the specs, but I don’t know the history of that model. You know,... what would it be like to live with? It’s been for sale ALL YEAR LONG! It does look good in person, though.

I think you walked into the wrong house, bud.

Good bike though

·
Registered
27 Posts
Thanks to these forums, information regarding certain models and the shortcomings inherent in their designs are shared by those who have ACTUALLY owned them . Unlike the info spewed by the media, in all its forms...
The model I’m interested in, I have yet to learn a lot about. That’s why I’m here.

·
Matt
696 Posts
The current owner bought the bike from Automania in Oregon in 2014. Automania was selling the bike on behalf of the original owner. The current owner had Retrospeed do the restoration and Retrospeed retained Scott Moore to handle the painting responsibilities. Below is Automania's original write-up from 2013 and a picture of the bike prior to restoration. The bike originally came with chromate wheels, but during restoration they were painted (the chromate finish can no longer be duplicated). They note that it is 1 of 31 bikes built for 1995...but per Fallon there were 60 bikes built for 1995 (31 is the number for 1996). The frame number does indeed confirm that it is a 1995.

Automania's 2013 write-up: "As part of a larger collection of rare and high end Italian Motorcycles we have been asked to sell is a full on Factory Ducati Race Bike. This 1995 Ducati 916/955 Corsa 916/ Racer Customer bike, vin# ZDM9165*004192*, 1 of 31, was built by Ducati for private use and sold here by Eraldo Ferracci in 1995. It was campaigned in California from 1995-1997 by it’s present owner. The bike won AFM Open Twins and California State Championship in the Open Twins Class in 1997 and is as raced condition today. The bike required a new fuel pump to start, but Hansen’s BMW of Medford, Oregon was able to locate the parts and be successful in bringing this very rare piece of Ducati race history back to mechanical life recently. A couple of interesting facts about the bike. There is no starter on the bike, it requires an external starting engine which is included with the bike. The other amazing fact is that it weighted 342 Pounds with a full tank of fuel as measured at Buttonwillow in 1996.
We have had the bike at our shop for about a month now and from past experience, I am not going to pretend to be an expert or the best source of information about this particular model of bike or it’s historical significance. We have been in touch with a single Ducati Collector who has purchased an MV Agusta from us recently and have been able to assemble the most basic of facts. The owner was able to send images of the bike when it was being raced, the Program from Sonomafest 97 where the bike was featured on the cover and tickets from the same event with the bike on them. The bike comes with several factory publications including service and parts catalogs. At the time of sale, Ducati did not generate an MSO and from what we have been told, did not issue them for their race bikes. We do not have a title for the bike, only a bill of sale which is all that is currently available.
This is Greg’s story:
“In 1995 Won four AFM Open Twins races during a half season of machine development.
1997 Undefeated season in AFM Open Twins competition, eight starts, eight wins. End of season results: AFM Open Twins champion, California State Open Twins champion, AFM Formula I third overall, California State Open Superbike third overall, AFM Formula Pacific top ten, AHRMA Open Twins national 7th overall, West Coast events only.
By the end of 1994 I had been racing 250 two strokes for four years, two years on a 1991 Suzuki RGV250 and two years on a 1993 Yamaha TZ250. I was winning races in Formula I and Formula II, but the constant maintenance was taking away from the fun. During the 1994 season Earl Campbell at Pro Italia Motors in Glendale California suggested that I should race a Ducati, saying that he would take care of all modifications, race prep, and maintenance if I bought one of the new 916's which were just coming out.
i said yes, but as 1994 drew to a close I started wondering if it would be possible to obtain a Corsa. I remembered reading a Motorcyclist magazine review of the previous generation 888 Corsa, which they raved about, saying it was hands down the best four stroke race bike they had ever ridden. Big power, huge torque, ultra light, top of the line chassis, suspension, and brakes, full carbon body work and gas tank, tons of magnesium and titanium, and a sound to die for. Imagine what a 916 version would be like!
We started making inquiries at the end of 1994 and found out that it was possible to get one, and that they had to be special ordered through Ferracci with a $20,000 deposit. I had to have that bike, so I did what any normal person would consider to be insane and sent Ferracci the deposit.
I'm sure they got more phone calls from me than from anyone else over the next four months as we anxiously waited for the "customer" version of the factory superbikes to become available. After a February trip to Italy, Eraldo reported to me that he had seen my bike under construction in the race shop with the others, mostly completed, just waiting for a few final parts such as the steering damper. The factory reportedly made just 31 of these bikes, making them very rare Ducatis.
It was another month and a half before the bikes were finished, shipped, and moved through customs. The AMA National at Laguna was in April and the bikes arrived just in time. Ferracci put my bike in their truck along with Freddie Spencer's and drove cross country from Pennsylvania to California. I took delivery of my Italian dream machine on Wednesday afternoon before the start of the four day weekend, and Eraldo himself came over to my pit area to show me a few things about the operation of the bike, the external starter motor, chassis set up, and basic maintenance.
Basically a dream scenario which just got better when I got to follow Freddie Spencer on an almost identical bike through most of a Superbike practice a few days later. He started slowly and very gradually picked up the pace to the point where I was finally over my end after about seven laps… then he disappeared, but the last two of those seven laps were the fastest I had ever gone at Laguna. Unfortunately it rained for both qualifying and the race, so I decided not to risk my new baby in the rain for the very first race. It was so bad that the race had to be postponed till Monday… Spencer won.
I raced most of the rest of that season in AFM, won a lot of Open Twins races, and got good results in Formula I, Open Superbike, and Formula Pacific. A crash and a broken collarbone sidelined me for the rest of the year, so no championship in 1995. There ended being complications from the collarbone surgery, so I took the 96 season off. By the beginning of 1997 I was ready to go, and with Pro Italia's commitment to do all maintenance with renowned Ducati technician Mike Moran doing the engine rebuilds, I decided to race three classes in the AFM series, the California State Championship Series, and selected AHRMA races.
The season started off well with a win in Open Twins at Buttonwillow and continued that way for the rest of the year, with wins in all eight AFM Open Twins races, an undefeated season. We also won the California State Championship in the Open Twins class, third overall in AFM Formula I, third overall in California State Open Superbike, and top ten overall in AFM Formula Pacific. The payoff was a table full of huge trophies at the awards banquet, and more friendships, memories, great experiences, and stories than I could ever list.
I figured that was about as good as it would get for an amateur racer who didn't start racing till age 32, so I decided to make that my last season racing, though I continued enjoying track days ever since. I planned on keeping the bike and putting it on a pedestal in the office or shop, but the values rising recently it's become tempting to sell it. It's also tempting to hang onto it and let the values rise much higher, or maybe even bring it to the track again. We shall see… but either way it was a great decision to buy such a special motorcycle.”
The bike is probably one of very few left as these were meant to be tools used in anger and racing takes a toll. It has Greg’s racing history and is a customer bike, different from the 6 Superbikes raced by Ducati that year, but it indeed a very rare piece of equipment in good condition and will the missing part of any Ducati Collection regardless of what part of the world you are in.
The selling price is $68,995. Please come by and see at Automania, 895 SE Gladiola Drive, Grants Pass, OR 97526. http://www.automaniagp.com 541 479 8888 Oregon Dealer DA1287.

Attachments

·
Mayor of Simpleton
4,884 Posts
Good info. It would definitely help to have that in the auction writeup.

I'm still not paying $50k unless that parts & labor retainer plan is still in effect though. :)

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Good info. It would definitely help to have that in the auction writeup.

I'm still not paying $50k unless that parts & labor retainer plan is still in effect though. :)

I do think it’s a decent price for the bike. I talked to a Corsa/Racing guy who said this bike had been ridden extensively (as the previous post says) but is still mostly original

·
Registered
100 Posts
That's great info Matt thanks for sharing.
I find it actually looked quite cool & different in that Italian flag livery.

About the price, not easy to assess such a rare bike I imagine; it would require to find the right buyer, like a collector or someone willing to race it again in some classic series?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts