Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys
I'm going to evaluate the purchase of a 916, I went to see it and I saw this drain, what could it be? So, you think it's a big problem or small problem? solvable only with the change of the gasket? is there to be dismantled or not?
has a few km and probably in recent years has been used little, maybe the problem will be for that ... thanks

·
Registered
300 Posts
I think this is fairly common. When I got my 748 with 24,000 miles it had the same thing. Asked local dealer and I forgot exactly what he said but it didnt seem to be a Major issue having some oil weeping from the base gasket or I would have fixed it right away. I could be wrong so let's see what others have to say.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks guys!
it's like I think, generally nothing serious.
but is there any one of you who has a 916? I wanted to know if she was having big problems ... or if well maintained the bike is okay?
thanks!

·
Come in Spinner :)
8,193 Posts
There are many things worth checking but the first thing I check on an engine is the oil pressure when fully hot to get an idea of the state of the conrod bearings and crankshaft.
If that's ok then the other things can be checked off one by one.
It's a waste of time checking anything else unless the bottom end of the motor is sound.

·
Registered
165 Posts
A simple black light can help show where the oil and even coolant has been on the bike. Typically leaves a trail.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have a '98 916 with a little over 7000 miles on it. How many miles/kilometers does the 916 your looking at have? Unless the owner can provide service records showing what has been done and when I would start with changing all fluids, checking brake pads and function, cam drive belts, checking valve lash and rocker condition. This would give a chance to find any problems and be good insurance as well.

·
Premium Member
5,217 Posts
Early bikes had a Ducati electronica rectifier that was prone to fail, later updated ones fixed the problem.

Rocker arms pre-1997 were pretty good so I would say 5% chance of failures, 97 and 98 are the worst years so 50% chance of failures unless someone has been changing them along the way.

Rear hub eccentric cush drives some times separate so simply inspect them once in a while. Most quick changes have tabs that prevent problems.

Rear hub can be adjusted 360 degrees so make sure prior owner did not put the eccentric in the upper half and chew up the leading edge of the swingarm on the bottom (by the front sprocket).

Make sure to either use an airbox air filter or red locktite the front tank mount to the tank as the bolts will drop right into the throttle bodies.

+1 to an oil pressure test and if possible a compression/leakdown test would be good to spot bent valves/corroded seats.

Over all these are good bikes, sure some have issues but the design is sound. There is a member on here that just completed a California to Alaska (Prudoe bay?) on a 100,000 mile 916 you might search his thread out it is recent.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts